“Beam me up, Scotty”—even if Captain Kirk supposedly never said this exact phrase, it remains a popular catch-phrase to this day. Whenever the chief commander of the television series’ starship USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) wanted to go back to his control center, this command was enough to take him there instantly—travelling through the infinity of outer space without any loss of time.
But is all of this just science fiction that was thought up in the 1960s? Not quite: Physicists are actually capable of beaming—or “teleporting” as it is called in technical language—if not actual solid particles, at least their properties.
Transmission of information without loss of time
“Many of the ideas from Star Trek that back then appeared to be revolutionary have become reality,” explains Prof. Dr. Alexander Szameit from the University of Jena (Germany). “Doors that open automatically, video telephony or flip phones—all things we have first seen on the starship USS Enterprise,” exemplifies the junior professor of Diamond-/Carbon-Based Optical Systems. So why not also teleporting?
“Elementary particles, such as electrons and light particles, exist per se in a spatially delocalized state,” says Szameit. For these particles, it is with a certain probability, thus, possible to be in different places at the same time. “Within such a system spread across multiple locations, it is possible to transmit information from one location to another without any loss of time.” This process is called quantum teleportation and has been known for several years.
The team of scientists, lead by science-fiction fan Szameit, has demonstrated for the first time in an experiment that the concept of teleportation not only persist in the world of quantum particles, but also in our classical world. Szameit and his colleagues report these achievements in the scientific journal Laser & Photonics Reviews (DOI: 10.1002/lpor.201500252).
The Latest on: Classic teleportation
via Google News
The Latest on: Classic teleportation
- 22 Disney World rides that have shut down and the interesting reasons whyon June 23, 2022 at 7:27 am
Walt Disney World is home to legendary rides and attractions. But some of the most famous ones have shut down and been replaced, leaving us nostalgic.
- Unprecedented! 'The Orville' Season 3 Episode 3 scores a perfect 10 from uson June 22, 2022 at 2:14 pm
We're giving this episode of "The Orville," entitled "Mortality Paradox," a perfect 10. And while this latest installment might not appeal to th ...
- ‘Back to the Future’ announces Broadway debut: ‘The Future’s coming!’on June 22, 2022 at 10:04 am
Producers confirmed the show’s transfer from the West End to Broadway to Deadline on Wednesday, with a debut sometime in 2023. “Synchronize Your Watches — The Future’s coming to Broadway in 2023!!!,” ...
- The Umbrella Academy comics are so much weirder than the showon June 22, 2022 at 6:20 am
The world of Netflix’s Umbrella Academy is weird. But it could be much, much weirder. The three-season superhero drama is loosely adapted from Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s ongoing comic book series of ...
- The Umbrella Academy Is Back, Here’s What to Remember Before You Binge Season 3on June 22, 2022 at 2:00 am
The Hargreeves siblings are the main characters of The Umbrella Academy, which is based on the Dark Horse comic book series by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá and is showrun by Steve Blackman. In no ...
- Here's Why We'll Probably Never See Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse Villain The Spot In Live-Actionon June 21, 2022 at 3:36 am
In June 2022, Spider-fans finally found out who the villain in "Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse" is, and the makers of the movie couldn't have gone for a deeper cut. Marvel villain the Spot ...
- Wizard Class Build Guideon June 15, 2022 at 9:47 am
Skills like Black Hole and Meteor can combo as well as Meteor and Scorch. But the MVP Skill goes to Teleport. Without this skill, it will be hell to reposition yourself in the chaotic battlefield ...
- Apex Legends Mobile update Cold Snap patch notes: Loba, Town Takeover, moreon June 14, 2022 at 1:44 pm
The Apex Legends Mobile Cold Snap update is here with a new Town Takeover and the introduction of Loba to the game.
- 'Arkanoid – Eternal Battle' Hits Switch This Octoberon June 13, 2022 at 5:19 am
Retro: Teleport yourself in an old school arcade parlor back in 1986 and enjoy the original game like if you were there! + Neo: This solo mode expands on the classic gameplay with brand-new levels ...
- Cuco Wants to Hack the Space-Time Continuum on Psychedelic Track ‘Time Machine’on May 27, 2022 at 3:02 pm
The Mexican-American singer-songwriter, known for music with a psychedelic kick, has shared his new song “Time Machine,” a dreamy rumination about what it would mean to teleport to the past ...
via Bing News