Imagine that the next time your doctor orders a round of tests, in addition to cholesterol and vitamin D, she also orders a genome sequence. It sounds like science fiction, but the day might come sooner than you think.
Precision medicine—in which each patient’s prevention and treatment decisions are tailored for them—has been a buzzword in the health care industry recently. President Barack Obama launched his Precision Medicine Initiative, and other countries have similar projects underway.
With concerns about the cost of health care, though, can we afford precision medicine?
In certain instances, precision medicine can actually save money. For example, if patients can be screened for drug hypersensitivity before being prescribed certain drugs, they won’t have to be treated later, which is better for patients and cuts down on costs. A similar approach works for choosing treatments.
“When you use a therapy to target only the individuals who will benefit, you avoid wasting drugs or other resources on people who you know won’t get any benefit, and who might actually be harmed,” said David Threadgill, Ph.D., professor and holder of the Tom and Jean McMullin Chair of Genetics at the Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine and director of the Texas A&M Institute for Genome Sciences and Society.
Of course, it’s not quite that simple. “Whether the economics works out in favor of precision medicine depends on two things: the difficulty and the cost of finding the best candidates who will benefit from specific, tailored treatments,” said Robert L. Ohsfeldt, Ph.D., health economist and professor in the Department of Health Policy & Management at the Texas A&M School of Public Health. “You have to know a lot about the disease process and how individual characteristics—genetics and environmental factors like diet or exposure to toxins—mediate the treatment response.”
The Latest on: Precision medicine
via Google News
The Latest on: Precision medicine
- Iylon Precision Oncology webinar creates awareness on lung canceron November 28, 2021 at 11:27 pm
PTI takes no editorial responsibility for the same.) • November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month • Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt shares his experiences of lung cancer treatment • Various experts share ...
- Precision Dosing Market to Grow Along with Rising Population by 2026 | TechSci Researchon November 28, 2021 at 8:54 pm
Concerns regarding overdosing pharmaceuticals is driving the growth of the global precision dosing market in the forecast period 2022 2026 According to TechSci Research report Precision Dosing Market ...
- These Are the Core Concepts of Longevity Medicine—AKA How We’re Going to Live Longer and Betteron November 28, 2021 at 9:00 am
Unlike traditional medicine, longevity medicine considers aging a condition that can and should be treated. Here is how they plan to do it.
- Global Precision Medicine Market 2021 Industry Statistics, Emerging Opportunities, Revenue and Volume Analysis by 2027on November 24, 2021 at 3:31 pm
Global Precision Medicine Market Growth (Status and Outlook) 2021-2027 study now available at MarketandResearch.biz shed light on various market dimensions delivering a holistic overview of the ...
- HMC holds first precision medicine conferenceon November 23, 2021 at 12:27 pm
Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) held its first virtual Precision Medicine Conference on November 5-6. A collaboration between HMC’s Office of the Chief Medical Officer and the National Centre for ...
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Precision Medicine Market Size Future Scope, Demands and Projected Industry Growths to 2025on November 23, 2021 at 4:38 am
A comprehensive research study on Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Precision Medicine market added on Market Study Report provides insights into the market size and growth trends of this industry over ...
- Precision medicine needs financing to fight diseases like cancer – especially in poorer countrieson November 23, 2021 at 1:00 am
This article is brought to you thanks to the collaboration of The European Sting with the World Economic Forum. Author: Hoyt Gong, Vagelos Program in Life ...
- InsightRX's Precision Medicine Technology to Help Improve Care for Patients Receiving Stem Cell Transplantson November 22, 2021 at 8:15 am
InsightRX, which provides a cloud-based precision dosing platform to help guide treatment decisions, today announced that Memorial ...
- Precision medicine division to start at Lucknow’s KGMUon November 19, 2021 at 10:09 am
Patients at the King George’s Medical University can now benefit from precision medication as the Centre for Advanced Research (CFAR) has initiated steps to start the precision medicine division ...
- Functional precision medicine using drug sensitivity testing enables tailoring of therapy for leukemia patientson November 17, 2021 at 9:54 am
A functional precision medicine study conducted in Finland demonstrates that treatment selection based on results from drug sensitivity testing of patients' cells can be clinically useful in patients ...
via Bing News