Using a bionic finger, researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology In Lausanne (EPFL) have developed a way for amputees to feel texture. It is an innovation that could potentially lead to better prosthetics.
“The stimulation felt almost like what I would feel with my hand,” said amputee Dennis Aabo Sørensen in an EPFL statement released on Tuesday.
Using the EPFL device, Sørensen has become the first person in the world to feel texture using a bionic fingertip. In experiments, he was able to distinguish between rough and smooth textures with 96% accuracy.
To achieve this breakthrough, researchers Silvestro Micera, from EPFL and SSSA (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna), and Calogero Oddo from SSSA surgically connected their bionic fingertip to the upper arm of an amputee. When the fingertip is passed over a textured piece of plastic, sensors generate electrical signals that mimic the activity of real human nerve cells.
Just like the real thing
To compare their results to those from a non-amputee, the researchers used fine needles instead of surgery to connect a subject’s arm to the bionic fingertip. The non-amputees could correctly detect roughness or smoothness 77% of the time.
They then measured the brainwaves of the non-amputees while they detected texture using first their own finger, and then the bionic finger.
The results showed that analogous regions of the subject’s brain were active during both experiments, suggesting that the feeling of touch from the robotic finger truly resembles naturally produced sensory information.
“This study…provides additional evidence that research in neuroprosthetics can contribute to the neuroscience debate, specifically about the neuronal mechanisms of the human sense of touch,” said Oddo in a statement. “It will also be translated to other applications such as artificial touch in robotics for surgery, rescue, and manufacturing.”
Learn more: New bionic fingertip can ‘feel’ texture
The Latest on: Bionics
via Google News
The Latest on: Bionics
- Vital Organs Support Systems and Medical Bionics Market Projected to Discern Stable Expansion by 2025on May 19, 2022 at 8:50 am
Comprehensive analyzes of the fastest-growing Vital Organs Support Systems and Medical Bionics Market provide insights that help stakeholders identify ...
- Bionics Market 2022 Emerging Trend and Business Opportunities, Scope and Overview, Forecast by 2024on May 18, 2022 at 11:05 pm
Bionics market” Research report Provides size and forecast, trends, growth drivers, and challenges. The event management software market report also gives in-depth analysis of the impact of COVID-19 ...
- Short Interest in Ekso Bionics Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:EKSO) Decreases By 15.5%on May 18, 2022 at 3:21 am
Ekso Bionics Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:EKSO – Get Rating) was the recipient of a significant drop in short interest during the month of April. As of April 30th, there was short interest totalling 65,400 ...
- Ekso Bionics to Present at the H.C. Wainwright Global Investment Conferenceon May 17, 2022 at 1:05 pm
Ekso Bionics Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: EKSO), an industry leader in exoskeleton technology for medical and industrial use, today announced that management will present at the H.C. Wainwright Global ...
- Bionics Market Growth And Opportunity, End User Type, Top Manufacturers and Outlook 2027 | Emergen Researchon May 16, 2022 at 5:52 am
The global bionics market revenue growth is significantly supported by factors such as increasing cases of road accidents and severe or irreversible physical injuries leading to organ failure, organ ...
- Ekso Bionics (EKSO) Could Find Support Soon, Here's Why You Should Buy the Stock Nowon May 13, 2022 at 6:55 am
A downtrend has been apparent in Ekso Bionics (EKSO) lately. While the stock has lost 25.1% over the past week, it could witness a trend reversal as a hammer chart pattern was formed in its last ...
- Beta Bionics Appoints Gilad Glick to the Board of Directors and Veena Rao, Ph.D. as Chief Commercial Officeron May 10, 2022 at 2:05 am
Gilad Glick, former Chief Executive Officer, Itamar Medical, appointed to Beta Bionics’ Board of Directors Veena Rao, Ph.D., Vice President of Business Development and interim Chief Commercial Officer ...
- Beta Bionics Appoints Gilad Glick to the Board of Directors and Veena Rao, Ph.D. as Chief Commercial Officeron May 10, 2022 at 2:00 am
Caution: The iLet® Bionic Pancreas is an investigational device limited by Federal (or United States) law to investigational use. Not available for sale. Gilad Glick, former Chief Executive Officer, ...
- Ekso Bionics (NASDAQ:EKSO) Upgraded to Buy by Zacks Investment Researchon May 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
Zacks Investment Research upgraded shares of Ekso Bionics (NASDAQ:EKSO – Get Rating) from a hold rating to a buy rating in a research report sent to investors on Wednesday, Zacks.com reports. They ...
via Bing News