A new virtual gold rush is underway.
Even as Bitcoin, riven by internal divisions, has struggled, a rival virtual currency — known as Ethereum — has soared in value, climbing 1,000 percent over the last three months.
Beyond the price spike, Ethereum is also attracting attention from giants in finance and technology, like JPMorgan Chase, Microsoft and IBM, which have described it as a sort of Bitcoin 2.0.
The rise of the relatively new virtual currency has been helped by a battle within the Bitcoin community over how the basic Bitcoin software should develop.
The fights have slowed down Bitcoin transactions and led some people to look for alternative virtual currencies to power their businesses. Enter Ethereum.
Like Bitcoin, the Ethereum system is built on a blockchain in which every transaction is recorded publicly. The promise of such a system is that it allows the exchange of money and assets more quickly and more cheaply than relying on a long chain of middlemen.
But Ethereum has also won fans with its promise to do much more than Bitcoin. In addition to the virtual currency, the software provides a way to create online markets and programmable transactions known as smart contracts.
The system is complicated enough that even people who know it well have trouble describing it in plain English. But one application in development would let farmers put their produce up for sale directly to consumers and take payment directly from consumers. There are already dozens of functioning applications built on Ethereum, enabling new ways to manage and pay for electricity, sports bets and even Ponzi schemes.
All of this work is still very early. The first full public version of the Ethereum software was recently released, and the system could face some of the same technical and legal problems that have tarnished Bitcoin.
Many Bitcoin advocates say Ethereum will face more security problems than Bitcoin because of the greater complexity of the software.
The Latest on: Ethereum
via Google News
The Latest on: Ethereum
- Ethereum price dips by 25% over the past week. What happens next?on March 1, 2021 at 4:52 am
The crypto market has been ravaged by an overwhelming amount of bearish momentum over the past fortnight, with Ether, in particular, being on the receiving end of some massive downward momentum. In ...
- Ethereum (ETH) Price Recovering as Gas Fees Plummeton March 1, 2021 at 4:15 am
On Feb. 28, gas fees on Ethereum fell back to $11.21. This is a considerable drop since gas costs skyrocketed above $38.21 on Feb. 23.
- Ethereum Killers Are Advancing At Record Pace This Year: What You Need To Knowon February 28, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Smart contract platforms have reached a combined market cap of $280 billion with an Ethereum (ETH) dominance of 57.92% at press time. Nevertheless, the so-called ...
- Cardano muscles way into crypto top 3, behind listless Ethereumon February 28, 2021 at 8:33 pm
Cardano's Ada coin overtook Binance Coin, Polkadot and Tether over the weekend to take third spot on most lists of cryptocurrency market capitalisation.
- Ethereum Rival Cardano Is Braced For A Big Week Amid Massive Price Rallyon February 28, 2021 at 4:10 pm
As the cardano network bobs around a total $40 billion, developers are gearing up for the launch of a major update on Monday—designed to make it into a multi-asset network similar to ...
- Grayscale’s Ethereum Trust Premium Follows Bitcoin Sibling Into Flipping Negativeon February 27, 2021 at 7:06 am
Grayscale’s Ethereum Trust (ETHE) is trading at a discount, one day after its bitcoin trust did the same. The trust closed 5.21% below the price of ETH on Thursday after trading at a premium to the ...
- Cardano Reaches All-Time High, Ahead of Ethereum in Transaction Volumeon February 27, 2021 at 3:03 am
Today has been a monumental day for Cardano. Caught within the recent crypto bull market, its token, ADA, hit a new all-time high price of $1.38 this ...
- Ethereum price faces significant selling pressure while bears aim for $1,000on February 26, 2021 at 8:56 am
Ethereum price suffered a major blow right after climbing above $2,000 for the first time ever. The smart-contracts giant fell to a low of $1,355 and is on the verge of another leg down. On the ...
- As ETH Bitcoin continues to rise in value, Telos launches bridge to Ethereum allowing assets to move across blockchains.on February 25, 2021 at 11:14 am
The Telos bridge to Ethereum will give investors and developers an improved gateway into the Telos ecosystem. By Eileen Brown for Social Business | February 25, 2021 -- 19:07 GMT (11:07 PST) | Topic: ...
- Nvidia Estimates Ethereum Miners Contributed 2%-6% of Q4 Revenueon February 24, 2021 at 4:24 pm
Nvidia expects $50 million in revenue from its new mining-specific product during its first quarter of sales. Nvidia says Ethereum mining activity contributed very little to its Q4 2020 revenue.
via Bing News