Our first social experience in VR, last year at Oculus’ developer conference, was spooky.
Not horror spooky, but I feel like I’m really sitting in a movie theater with these complete strangers even though I’m really not spooky. Soon more people will have that kind of experience, as Oculus is set to roll out an integrated social feature for the Gear VR.
Much like Xbox Live or the PSN, Oculus’ mobile platform will soon have a built-in social element. Starting Thursday, Gear VR owners will be able to create a profile and find fellow Gear VR-owning friends (searching by either username or real name) to team up with or play against in various virtual reality games and environments.
New social games include Oculus’ own Social Trivia (as you’d imagine, it’s a knowledge battle you can play with friends), Herobound: Gladiators (a multiplayer arena fighting game based on the single-player Herobound series for Gear VR and Oculus Rift) and the ability to create social rooms (movie theaters, for collective watching experiences) in the Oculus Social app.
The Latest on: Metaverse
via Google News
The Latest on: Metaverse
- Xsolla to Partner with IMVU’s VCOIN to Expand Usability and Support the Metaverse for All ...on April 22, 2021 at 3:02 am
VCOIN and Xsolla reached an agreement to explore multiple product integrations in order to support and scale the metaverse for gamers and creators around the world. “We know that Metaverse users and ...
- Xsolla to Partner with IMVU’s VCOIN to Expand Usability and Support the Metaverse for All Gamers and Creatorson April 22, 2021 at 3:00 am
VCOIN, the first transferable digital currency designed for the metaverse and Xsolla, the video game commerce company that helps developers and publishers market, sell, connect and optimize their ...
- From Minecraft to Zoom calls, we’ve all spent much of the pandemic on our screens. But are we ready for the metaverse?on April 21, 2021 at 6:30 am
A year of staying at home on Zoom and video games has accelerated the arrival of the metaverse, the virtual world where we will frolic in the future.
- The metaverse offers a new frontier in the digital economy: The Sandboxon April 20, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Founder & COO of The Sandbox videogame shares his optimism for a whole marketplace that has opened up in the virtual world.
- Increase My Metaverse Drip? In This Economy?on April 19, 2021 at 9:02 am
Via a tweet that made all nearby bones grow brittle and explode like that overconfident bad guy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, I was informed that Cryto ...
- The 'metaverse' bet: crypto-rich investors snap up virtual real estateon April 18, 2021 at 3:08 pm
The work is a non-fungible token (NFT) – a new type of virtual asset that has its ownership status and authenticity verified by blockchain. NFTs have exploded in popularity in 2021, with prices ...
- The Metaverse Is Coming. Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang on the Fusion of Virtual and Physical Worldson April 18, 2021 at 3:50 am
Jensen Huang, the CEO of Nvidia, the nation’s most valuable semiconductor company, with a stock price of $645 a share and a market cap of $400 billion, is out to create the metaverse, what Huang ...
- The DeanBeat: A Big Bang week for the metaverseon April 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Epic Games' $1 billion funding for building the metaverse and Nvidia's Omniverse are two Big Bangs for the metaverse this week.
- What is Epic Games' Metaverse, and Is It Worth Billions?on April 15, 2021 at 1:20 pm
Companies are giving money to Epic Games to build something called the "metaverse" -- but what is it, and why do they believe it's worth investing in?
- When Does ‘Fortnite’ Become More Than ‘Fortnite’ In Epic’s Pursuit Of The Metaverse?on April 14, 2021 at 7:25 am
And the most Metaverse-like activities they have are the big, group events where players will gather together wearing all these different skins to watch a rocket launch or a 200 foot avatar of a ...
via Bing News