A group of researchers, led by Prof. Yuji Matsuura of Tohoku University’s Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, has developed a method of measuring blood glucose using far infrared light, which is both harmless and non-invasive.
Diabetes patients traditionally monitor their daily blood glucose levels by using a conventional meter which requires blood sampling from the finger tips. The discomfort of pain and risk of infection can sometimes be a source of great stress and concern.
To address that, other researchers have proposed and developed non-invasive methods for glucose measurement using near infrared light. This method works on the premise that near infrared light of some specific wavelengths are selectively absorbed by glucose in the blood.
However, accurate and stable measurement using this method has proven difficult because the near infrared light is not only weakly absorbed by glucose, but also by water, protein and hemoglobin.
In contrast, far infrared light with wavelengths of around 10 micron is strongly absorbed by glucose, making it possible, in theory, for patients to get more sensitive and accurate measurements. However, the problem faced by researchers, is that far-infrared light penetrates only a few microns from the skin’s surface, which makes the detection of blood glucose difficult.
Prof. Matsuura’s team has thus developed a new measurement technique that consists of a small prism attached to the ends of flexible hollow-optical fibers to radiate far infrared light. By using this method, it is possible to irradiate the oral mucosa of inner lips that, unlike skin, have no thick horny layer.
Results from experiments show blood glucose levels sensitively detected and accurately measured with a less than 20% margin of error, which Prof. Matsuura believes is good enough for clinical uses.
Diabetes is a serious problem that affects millions of people worldwide. By combining the new method with far infrared lasers that have recently been developed, Prof. Matsuura expects compact and low-cost blood glucose measurement systems to soon be widely used in clinical fields.
The Latest on: Blood glucose measurement
via Google News
The Latest on: Blood glucose measurement
- New Research into Diabetes and Lower Extremity Diseaseon May 18, 2022 at 8:37 am
The link between poor diabetes control and lower extremity disease — the term that covers an array of conditions including peripheral artery disease and peripheral neuropathy h ...
- Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring Market Share to Witness Significant Revenue Growth during the Forecast Period 2029on May 18, 2022 at 1:34 am
Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring Market Highlights Straits Research has published a new report titled “Global Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring ...
- Diabetes type 2: Sensations warning of worsening blood sugar levels – 'see your doctor'on May 17, 2022 at 2:23 pm
DIABETICS are responsible for managing blood sugar levels with diet and exercise. Falling out of kilter can be extremely damaging, but would you recognise the warning signs?
- Signos Sells a Continuous Glucose Monitor, But Not to Diabeticson May 17, 2022 at 10:23 am
Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) are intended to help improve management of diabetes in patients whose diabetes is not under good control, and also for patients who hate having to keep pricking ...
- A Wearable Sensor That Measures Glucose, Alcohol: Could It Become a Reality?on May 16, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Share on Pinterest Researchers say this wearable sensor will be able to measure glucose, lactate, and alcohol levels in the blood. Photo courtesy of AquilX. Researchers are working on a wearable ...
- I tried out HealthifyMe Pro and I’m not sure everyone needs continuous glucose monitoringon May 14, 2022 at 4:23 am
HealthifyMe Pro will bring continuous blood glucose monitoring as part of its nutrition programme. But is this something that everyone needs? Here's are my thoughts after using the experience.
- Global Blood Glucose Device Market Report (2022 to 2027) - Key Drivers and Challengeson May 13, 2022 at 9:00 am
SMBG Components, Industry Trends, Growth, Insight, Impact of COVID-19, Company Analysis" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Self-monitoring Blood Glucose Devices Market [HOW TO INCREASE] 2022 : Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period 2030on May 13, 2022 at 6:44 am
Quadintel published a new report on the Self-monitoring Blood Glucose Devices Market. The research report consists of thorough information about demand, growth, opportunities, challenges, and ...
- Blood Glucose Meters Global Market Report 2022on May 13, 2022 at 1:11 am
Major players in the blood glucose meters market are Abbott, Roche, Medtronics, Ascensia, Dexcom, Johnson & Johnson, Arkray, Acon, LifeScan, and Agamatrix Inc. The global blood glucose meters market ...
- Kate Moss' daughter Lila proudly sports blood glucose monitor in ‘Fendace’ campaignon May 12, 2022 at 6:03 am
Kate Moss' daughter has been praised for showing her monitor - which she wears to moderate Type 1 diabetes – on the catwalk, red carpet, and now, fashion campaign.
via Bing News