With public concern about the Zika virus growing daily, people are looking for effective ways to prevent mosquito bites, and now there’s some good news for the concerned public.
According to an article in the Journal of Medical Entomology, a product called the OFF!® Clip-On™repellent device could be an effective tool for preventing bites from theAedes aegypti mosquito, the primary vector of Zika, chikungunya, dengue, and yellow fever.
The OFF! Clip-On repels mosquitoes by releasing a vapor form of insecticide through a battery-powered fan, forming an insecticide “cloud” around the wearer of the device. In order to test the effectiveness of the device, Christopher Bibbs and Rui-De Xue of the Anastasia Mosquito Control District in Florida studied how the device performed against hungry Aedes aegypti mosquitoes. The study was done outdoors in order to replicate real-world conditions.
They found that the OFF! Clip-On caused high mosquito mortality and knockdown rates up to 0.3 meters from the device (“knockdown” is a term used to describe an acute paralysis that knocks the mosquitoes out of the air). While 0.3 meters is not a huge range, it’s enough to protect a single person wearing the device.
The effectiveness of the device came as a pleasant surprise to the researchers.
The Latest on: Mosquito repellent
via Google News
The Latest on: Mosquito repellent
- Mosquito-borne disease detected in Palm Beach Countyon October 13, 2021 at 4:43 pm
No one has become sick as of now but mosquito-borne disease could be present in some areas of the county, including Belle Glade, Wellington, Boca Raton and Jupiter Farms.
- Health officials: West Nile season not finished until mosquitoes areon October 13, 2021 at 2:13 pm
While the end of the mosquito season is close at hand and may even arrive this morning if temperatures dip low enough, the danger posed by the West Nile virus ...
- 3-year-old dies after drinking mosquito repellant, doctor blamed for treatment based on YouTube tutorialon October 12, 2021 at 9:20 pm
The boy's parents filed a complaint with the police citing wrong treatment by the private clinic as the reason for their son's death.
- Tamil Nadu: 3-year-old child dies after consuming mosquito repellenton October 12, 2021 at 7:27 am
The child’s father Tamizharasan, who works at a private firm, registered a complaint at Shankar Nagar police station against the doctor of the private clinic and held him responsible for his son’s ...
- Global Mosquito Repellent Candles Market Report 2021 | Current Development Trends, Analysis Of Top Key Players, And Forecast Growth To 2027on October 12, 2021 at 1:27 am
Market Research Store has published a new market research study in the “Global Mosquito Repellent Candles Market”. The report offers a micro-level analysis about the Mosquito Repellent Candles market ...
- South East Asia Mosquito Repellent Market Share Growth, Industry Developments, Industry Prospects and Forecast to 2024on October 11, 2021 at 9:05 am
Market Study Report presents an extensive report on "South East Asia Mosquito Repellent Market" report offers detailed profiles of the key players to bring out a clear view of the competitive ...
- Global Mosquito Repellent Lamp Market 2021 Growth, Trend, Analysis, Future Opportunities and Industry Forecast to 2027on October 10, 2021 at 1:45 pm
Another report by named, Global Mosquito Repellent Lamp Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 has been added into its tremendous archive by ...
- Mosquito Repellent Products Market Size, Growth and Key Manufacturers – Ever Pest, Highendberry, Henslow, Malivent, Cosyworld, Vepoweron October 9, 2021 at 2:30 am
The Mosquito Repellent Products Market is expected to surge at a steady CAGR in the coming years, states the latest Verified Market Research® report. The publication offers an insightful take on the ...
- Goodknight unveils latest innovation - Jumbo Fast Card, a unique paper-based mosquito repellent at just INR 1.5 per usageon October 8, 2021 at 5:00 am
As India deals with the ongoing pandemic, rising malaria and dengue cases has posed double health threat. Addressing this issue, a ...
- Mosquito repellent Market to Surpass US$ 7.96 Bn by 2031, Popularity of Natural, Innovative Products Drives Growth - TMR's Studyon October 7, 2021 at 8:30 am
Overview. The growing popularity of natural and innovative mosquito repelling products across major parts of t ...
via Bing News