At about four light-years from the sun, Alpha Centauri is the closest star system to the solar system. While that may seem relatively close, it would still take humanity thousands of years to reach, based on current propulsion technology.
In fact, it took Voyager 1, which was launched in 1977, 37 years to reach the outskirts of the solar system. That spacecraft flew at 17 km/sec, less than 0.006% the speed of light.
“We have to radically rethink our strategy or give up our dreams of reaching the stars in a way romanticized in books and movies,” wrote Philip Lubin, of Univ. of California, Santa Barbara’s Physics Dept.
In his paper, “A Roadmap to Interstellar Flight,” and in a video from NASA 360, Lubin states that photonic propulsion, or the propulsion of objects through light particles, could help humanity achieve quick interstellar travel, turning science fiction into science fact.
Currently, NASA estimates that it would take humans roughly six months to travel to Mars. According to Lubin, his theoretical technology could propel a 100 kg robotic craft to Mars in a few days, and a shuttle-sized craft in about one month. The former robotic craft would travel around 1,200 km/sec.
The Latest on: Interstellar travel
via Google News
The Latest on: Interstellar travel
- This Smart Telescope Captures Celestial Moments and Sends Them to Your Phoneon January 22, 2021 at 3:03 pm
To help, Vaonis has developed a new smart telescope that automatically tracks objects in the sky and then captures them via your smartphone. The second-generation model, known as Vespera, builds upon ...
- ‘I’m truly blessed.’ Books, music and a toy otter help new widow learn how to be aloneon January 20, 2021 at 12:51 pm
In the six weeks since her husband’s death, “I’ve learned a lot about myself,” Tribune columnist Kathe Tanner writes.
- Classic SF in Which Humans Come From “Beyond the Stars”on January 19, 2021 at 7:00 am
Could humanity be a recent visitor to this world? Are our true origins on some distant exoplanet? NO. The fossil record documents our purely terrestrial linage going back hundreds of millions of ...
- Harvard physicist: ‘Serious possibility’ alien spacecraft visited solar systemon January 18, 2021 at 1:44 pm
In a new interview, Harvard physicist Avi Loeb says there’s a “serious possibility” that an interstellar object that passed through Earth’ solar system could be an alien ...
- Scientists Suggest How To Spot Wormholes To Make Interstellar Space Travel Realon January 14, 2021 at 3:53 am
Scientists have been speculating about wormholes – bridges between far off points in spacetime, for quite a few years now. In theory, these wormholes can serve as shortcuts for those travelling ...
- Astronomical Society of Geelong member pictures show locations outside the limits of human travelon January 8, 2021 at 5:23 am
They go beyond the realms of our solar system, stretching distances only comprehended when measured in light years. The orange haze of the Silver Coin galaxy, 10 million light-years away from ...
- “Sent By an Alien World?” –Extraterrestrial Object Visited Our Solar System in 2017on January 6, 2021 at 11:48 am
The idea of the existence of advanced extraterrestrial life is no more speculative than extra dimensions or dark matter. It fact, he says, it is less so,” says Harvard astrophysicist, Avi Loeb. In ...
- A Harvard professor says an alien visited in 2017 — and more are comingon January 2, 2021 at 11:46 am
For starters, it was the first interstellar object ever detected inside ... exact path an object should take and what speed it should travel due to the gravitational force exerted by the sun.
- ESA/Hubble public information officer Bethany Downer attempts to simplify space scienceon December 28, 2020 at 9:40 am
In Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar, children in schools are ... I think space tourism is an important step of opening the door to space travel to more people, but it will take a few more ...
- 'Tenet' and the Past and Future of Christopher Nolanon December 24, 2020 at 1:53 am
Interstellar marks the point where Nolan becomes more confident with his own sentimentality as a filmmaker, through the idea that love is the cosmic language that can travel through time and space.
via Bing News