Imagine if the picture window in your living room could double as a giant thermostat or big screen TV. A discovery by researchers at the University of British Columbia has brought us one step closer to this becoming a reality.
Researchers at UBC’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna found that coating small pieces of glass with extremely thin layers of metal like silver makes it possible to enhance the amount of light coming through the glass. This, coupled with the fact that metals naturally conduct electricity, may make it possible to add advanced technologies to windowpanes and other glass objects.
“Engineers are constantly trying to expand the scope of materials that they can use for display technologies, and having thin, inexpensive, see-through components that conduct electricity will be huge,” said UBC Associate Professor and lead investigator Kenneth Chau. “I think one of the most important implications of this research is the potential to integrate electronic capabilities into windows and make them smart.”
The next phase of this research, added Chau, will be to incorporate their invention onto windows with an aim to selectively filter light and heat waves depending on the season or time of day.
The theory underlying the research was developed by Chau and collaborator Loïc Markley, an assistant professor of engineering at UBC. Chau and Markley questioned what would happen if they reversed the practice of applying glass over metal—a typical method used in the creation of energy efficient window coatings.
“It’s been known for quite a while that you could put glass on metal to make metal more transparent, but people have never put metal on top of glass to make glass more transparent,” said Markley. “It’s counter-intuitive to think that metal could be used to enhance light transmission, but we saw that this was actually possible, and our experiments are the first to prove it.”
Learn more: UBC researchers discover new glass technology
The Latest on: Display technologies
via Google News
The Latest on: Display technologies
- Purdue Technology Showcase to highlight innovations from around Indianaon January 27, 2021 at 8:58 am
Novel innovations from inventors around the state of Indiana will be on display at the 2021 Purdue Technology Showcase. This year’s theme is “State of Innovation.” The showcase will feature novel ...
- Flipclutch Research: Betting on the holographic AR technology stocks, WIMI attracts attention from well-known bank and brokerage institutionson January 27, 2021 at 6:10 am
With the evolution of technologies such as 3D sensing, chips, algorithms, display technology, and communication methods, the hot AR ...
- Rugged Display Market Size, Share, Growth, Future Scope, Trends 2020-2026on January 27, 2021 at 5:39 am
A rugged display is a display that’s specifically designed for in operation dependably in harsh environments and ...
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Features A New Display Technologyon January 27, 2021 at 4:16 am
The Galaxy S21 Ultra is the only phone in the world to feature Samsung's newly-developed low-power OLED display technology.
- Samsung’s Galaxy S21 Ultra is first with new power efficient OLED displayon January 27, 2021 at 3:47 am
Samsung’s latest flagship, the Galaxy S21 Ultra, is its first phone to feature Samsung Display’s new power-efficient OLED panels. In a press release, Samsung says the new display consumes 16 percent ...
- Head Up Display (HUD) Market size Rising Trends and New Technologies Research Forecast to 2026on January 27, 2021 at 2:09 am
This report on Head Up Display (HUD) market has keen to several extents of analysis – industry research (global industry trends) and Head Up Display (HUD) market share analysis of topmost companies, ...
- TikTok challenges users to display Pinoy Science and Technology know-howon January 27, 2021 at 1:46 am
Popular video-sharing app TikTok is challenging users especially Filipino youth to display Pinoy Science and Technology know-how in two new contests. The Tiktok partnership with the Department of ...
- Diagnostic Flexibility at Your Fingertips with New, Versatile 12MP Diagnostic Displayon January 27, 2021 at 1:20 am
Barco, a global leader in visualisation technology, has released a new 12MP healthcare diagnostic display system for picture archiving and communication systems (PACS) and breast imaging. The Nio ...
- Low Power Next Generation Display Market Evolving Technology, Trends and Demand 2021on January 25, 2021 at 3:29 am
Market Insights: High resolution screen with low power is considered by many users to represent the technology of the next generation display technology. Progress in ...
- Market Intelligence Report on Screenless Display Technology Market, 2019-2026on January 21, 2021 at 7:09 am
The Screenless Display Technology Market Research Report gives CAGR value, Industry Chains, Upstream, Geography, End-user, Application, Competitor analysis, SWOT Analysis, Sales, Revenue ...
via Bing News