It only lasted 10 minutes and the guys in woolly hats and high-vis jackets looked like any other drone enthusiasts. But this short flight was the first by an aircraft wholly powered by solid hydrogen.
The experimental drone runs on pellets that emit only water vapour when they burn. The drone’s fuel is also three times as light as a comparable lithium battery. One day the technology could help make commercial aircraft lighter and cleaner.
“The idea was simple: stick solid state hydrogen fuel into a drone and fly it – but it’s tricky to do,” says Phil Anderson, head of Marine Technology at the Scottish Association for Marine Science in Argyll, UK, where the flight took place.
Just as hydrogen fuel-cell cars have been eclipsed by electric vehicles, the idea never really took off with aircraft either. Previous efforts such as the Cryoplane project from Airbus used large tanks of liquid hydrogen kept at super-low temperatures. But these tanks proved too big and cumbersome to be practical. Storing hydrogen as a pressurised gas is also not very efficient.
Drone on and on
The new system, designed by UK firm Cella, uses around 100 solid pellets packed into a cartridge. The 1-centimetre-squared pellets are made from a chemical compound that produces a steady stream of hydrogen as they are gently heated.. This gas is then converted into electricity in a fuel cell that runs the drone’s rotor. The inclusion of a polymer stops the compound melting and helps it release hydrogen at a lower temperature.
The test flight lasted for 10 minutes and flew at an altitude of 80 metres – although it could have gone for two hours with the fuel it had on board, says Anderson. “Unlike with a battery, if you put in twice as much fuel you can go twice as far.”
Anderson thinks a future version of the drone would be perfect for the environmental and climate monitoring that his team carries out in the Arctic and north Atlantic. Because it is lighter than battery-powered drones it can fly for longer– plus it’s cleaner.
The Latest on: Hydrogen-powered drone
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen-powered drone
- S.Korean Military to Purchase Hydrogen-Powered Drones from Doosan Mobilityon May 17, 2021 at 12:17 am
South Korea’s Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) has placed an order for hydrogen powered-drones produced by Doosan Mobility Innovation Inc. The contract valued 831 million won ...
- S. Korea purchases hydrogen powered-drones for pilot operationon May 16, 2021 at 6:11 pm
The arms procurement agency said Monday it has signed a deal to purchase hydrogen powered-drones for a pilot operation at the Air Force to boost the military's surveillance capabilities. Under the 831 ...
- European Consortium Tests Long-flying Hydrogen-cell Droneson May 14, 2021 at 6:42 am
French tech company Thales, Drones-Center and ZenT have teamed up to demo a hydrogen-powered drone. Organized to test industrial and operational feasibility, the demonstration is another in a growing ...
- Thales, Drones-Center and ZenT Demonstrate Hydrogen Powered Drone for Greener and Safer Flightson May 13, 2021 at 10:43 pm
The tests were organised to demonstrate the industrial and operational feasibility of this hydrogen drone, which offers enhanced performance characteristics while protecting the environment. Drones ...
- South Korean firm Hypower Lab pushes hydrogen-powered droneson May 12, 2021 at 9:45 am
Hypower Lab said its hydrogen fuel cell can power drones for more than three hours, increasing flight time and utility.
- Hydrogen-powered drone achieves high performance through test flightson May 11, 2021 at 8:37 am
Thales, Drones-Center and ZenT have conducted a demonstration flight with a drone powered by a hydrogen fuel cell. The tests demonstrated the drone’s capacity to fly for at least two hours with a ...
- Raw material extraction - smart and digitalon May 10, 2021 at 4:27 am
Platinum is an indispensable material in hydrogen technology. Sibanye-Stillwater - for example, has this in its platinum and palladium projects in South Africa and the USA. Sibanye-Stillwater also ...
- Spotlight on top personal tech pieces of 2015on May 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Taras Wankewycz has been adapting hydrogen fuel cells for use with quadcopter drones. Apple Watch on its new magnetic charging dock. Windows Hello lets you log in with face recognition.
- The Worldwide Hydrogen Aircraft Industry is Expected to Reach $1.4 Billion by 2025on May 4, 2021 at 10:50 am
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470 ...
- This hydrogen-powered concept air vehicle can provide the accessible transportation of the future — Future Blinkon April 13, 2021 at 5:00 pm
is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its ...
via Bing News