In a doughnut-shaped chamber in eastern China, scientists have been able to produce hydrogen gas more than three times hotter than the core of the Sun using nuclear fusion – and maintain this temperature for 102 seconds.
The breakthrough puts China one step ahead in the global race to harness a new, artificial kind of solar energy for clean and unlimited energy, the researchers claim. This has become a pressing concern as more of the earth’s natural reserves are rapidly depleting.
The experiment was conducted last week on a magnetic fusion reactor at the Institute of Physical Science in Hefei, capital of Jiangsu province, according to a statement on the institute’s website on Wednesday.
The reactor, officially known as the Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST), was able to heat a hydrogen gas – a hot ionised gas called a plasma – to about 50 million Kelvins (49.999 million degrees Celsius). The interior of our sun is calculated to be around 15 million Kelvins.
According to this thermodynamic scale, absolute zero occurs at zero degrees (equivalent to minus 273.15 degrees Celsius), a point at which all molecular movement stops.
The temperature reached in Hefei was at the other end of the scale, and roughly the same as a mid-sized thermonuclear explosion. The goal of the experiment was to approximate the nuclear fusion conditions that occur deep inside the sun.
Although at least one other experiment in the last decade claims to have produced a hotter temperatures than this, it has never been duplicated and was unable to match the endurance – over one and a half minutes – of the Chinese test.
Meanwhile, physicists in Japan and Europe have been able to reach the same temperature as the Chinese team, but not for longer than a minute due to concerns of provoking a reactor meltdown.
The EAST was invented by Soviet scientists to control nuclear fusion for power generation.
As a tokamak device, it uses a powerful magnetic field to confine plasma in the shape of a torus – imagine a large spinning doughnut -for safety reasons due to the phenomenally high temperatures being generated. The atoms are effectively held floating in place by superconducting magnets.
But controlling hydrogen gas in such a hot and volatile state is a formidable challenge, and one that most of the tokomak devices built over the last 60 years have not been able to sustain for more than 20 seconds.
The scientists in Hefei worked “day and night” to achieve the record level of endurance, according to the institute, which serves as a subsidiary of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
The Latest on: Fusion energy
via Google News
The Latest on: Fusion energy
- MIT: On Course to Create a Fusion Power Planton April 30, 2021 at 1:17 pm
How an MIT engineering course became an incubator for fusion design innovations. “There is no lone genius who solves all the problems.” Dennis Whyte, director of the Plasma Science and Fusion Center ...
- Rejuvenating Pop & High-Energy Retro Fusion: Emerging Artist Vandi Lynnae Unveils Electric New Singleon April 30, 2021 at 12:32 pm
With rich & unique blends of vibrant Pop music, rooted in an 80’s Retro style, eclectic singer/songwriter Vandi Lynnae is set to soar, with the release of her refreshing & captivating new single, “Two ...
- Look inside this lab where scientists are recreating the energy of the sun to produce nearly unlimited clean energyon April 30, 2021 at 8:34 am
At TAE Technologies lab in California, scientists are building a nuclear fusion machine to recreate the energy of the sun, stars and lightening here on Earth.
- To Hear the Latest in Fusion Science and Technology, Join our Fusion Energy Conference Online Next Monthon April 30, 2021 at 8:22 am
Showcasing the latest advancements in fusion science and technology, the 28th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2020) will take place virtually from 10 to 15 May and will be, for the first time, open ...
- Fusion Beverages Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 : PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, Monster Energyon April 28, 2021 at 12:38 pm
What's Ahead in the Global Fusion Beverages Market? Benchmark yourself with strategic steps and conclusions recently published by AMA ...
- Fooling fusion fuel: How to discipline unruly plasmaon April 26, 2021 at 12:25 pm
The process designed to harvest on Earth the fusion energy that powers the sun and stars can sometimes be tricked. Researchers at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics ...
- DOE announces $11M for research on quantum information science for fusion energy scienceson April 26, 2021 at 11:30 am
Today, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) announced $11 million for ten projects in Quantum Information Science (QIS) with relevance to fusion and plasma science. Fusion energy research seeks to ...
- Department of Energy Announces $11 Million for Research on Quantum Information Science for Fusion Energy Scienceson April 25, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Projects span quantum computing for fusion plasma science, quantum behavior at high-energy-densities, and fusion-relevant quantum sensing ...
- Atkins bags design contract for ‘world’s first’ fusion energy centreon April 23, 2021 at 3:32 am
Atkins has been awarded the design contract for the ‘world’s first’ fusion energy research centre, the Hydrogen-3 Advanced Technology (H3AT) facility ...
- Shiny Happy Future: SHINE-Phoenix Merger Focused On Advancing Fusion Technologyon April 22, 2021 at 12:10 am
A nuclear technology company and a medical isotopes company have merged. But the wider story is of the maturing fusion energy industry and the mission of one man to deliver a socially game-changing ...
via Bing News