A proof-of-concept, phase 2 trial by an international research team has found promising results for a myostatin antibody in treating the decline in muscle mass and power associated with aging.
“Myostatin is a natural protein produced within the body that inhibits muscle growth,” said Stuart Warden, a member of the research team who is also associate dean for research and associate professor in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. “It has been hypothesized for some time that inhibition of myostatin may allow muscle to grow, resulting in improved muscle mass and physical performance. The current study confirms these beliefs.”
In the study, injections of a myostatin antibody, made by Eli Lilly and Co., over a 24-week period resulted in an increase in lean (muscle) mass and improved performance on tasks requiring muscle power in patients older than 75 with low muscle strength, low muscle performance and a history of falling.
“This is the first study to show that myostatin antibody treatment improves performance on activities requiring muscle power,” Warden said. “‘Muscle power’ refers to the ability to generate muscle force quickly. During aging, it is lost more rapidly than muscle strength, contributing to disability, falls, reduced quality of life and, in some instances, death.”
“Myostatin antibody treatment improved muscle power in the elderly, as indicated by improvements in the ability to climb stairs, walk briskly and rise repetitively from a chair,” Warden said. “Treatment particularly benefited those who were most frail at baseline, a population who may not be receptive to conventional intervention such as resistance exercise.”
The Latest on: Muscle power
via Google News
The Latest on: Muscle power
- The 2022 Ford Mustang California Special Fuses Muscle Power To Throwback Lookson June 22, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Take an in-depth look at the 2022 Ford Mustang California Special and discover whether it is as powerful as its classic-vibing looks.
- How the Trinamool Congress sustains power in West Bengalon June 22, 2022 at 10:32 am
Political Stability in West Bengal’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 57, Issue No. 25, June 18, 2022 The All India Trinamool Congress (AITMC) or popularly known as just the Trinamool Congress (TMC) ...
- Creators of Muscle Milk Launch New Hemp Infused Sports Nutrition Brand GYM WEED in U.S. Marketon June 22, 2022 at 8:51 am
Developed by the founders of MUSCLE MILK, hemp infused energy drink GYM WEED launches with three flavors: Pear Pineapple, Stone Fruit & Tropical Berry ...
- 2002 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Phase III Is A Massively Powerful Muscle Caron June 22, 2022 at 7:00 am
Power and performance is exactly what this car is all about. The Chevrolet Camaro has been a cultural icon within the American performance automotive industry that paved the way for muscle cars ...
- Kyrgios pulls out of Mallorca with pain in abdominal muscleon June 22, 2022 at 5:09 am
With less than a week left for the start of Wimbledon, Australian Nick Kyrgios pulled out of the Mallorca Championships on Wednesday ahead of his last 16 match due to pain in his abdominal muscle.
- These ‘70s Muscle Cars Have No Place In A Gearhead’s Garageon June 17, 2022 at 3:30 pm
Muscle cars have a long, exciting, and rich tradition. However, not all muscle cars are born equal, and some slip through the cracks. Over the years, there have been many magnificent classic muscle ...
- RS Polls: Congress Swipes At BJP Post Win In Rajasthan; 'Win Against Money, Muscle Power'on June 10, 2022 at 12:15 pm
MP Randeep Singh Surjewala attacked the BJP and said that this is the defeat of the powers who wanted to trade Rajasthan's self-respect in the vote market.
- Does walking build muscle?on June 9, 2022 at 3:00 pm
It’s our most regular form of exercise, but does walking build muscle? We look to studies and an expert for the answer ...
- No scope for showing muscle power if EVMs used in voting: CECon May 29, 2022 at 11:21 am
Chief Election Commissioner Kazi Habibul Awal today said there is no scope for showing muscle power during voting if the electronic voting machines (EVMs) are used during polls. The CEC came up ...
- CLASSIFICATION IN PARA POWERLIFTINGon December 2, 2021 at 3:39 pm
Impaired Muscle Power Reduced force generated by muscles or muscle groups, such as muscles of one limb or the lower half of the body, as caused, for example, by spinal cord injuries, spina bifida or ...
via Bing News