A proof-of-concept, phase 2 trial by an international research team has found promising results for a myostatin antibody in treating the decline in muscle mass and power associated with aging.
“Myostatin is a natural protein produced within the body that inhibits muscle growth,” said Stuart Warden, a member of the research team who is also associate dean for research and associate professor in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. “It has been hypothesized for some time that inhibition of myostatin may allow muscle to grow, resulting in improved muscle mass and physical performance. The current study confirms these beliefs.”
In the study, injections of a myostatin antibody, made by Eli Lilly and Co., over a 24-week period resulted in an increase in lean (muscle) mass and improved performance on tasks requiring muscle power in patients older than 75 with low muscle strength, low muscle performance and a history of falling.
“This is the first study to show that myostatin antibody treatment improves performance on activities requiring muscle power,” Warden said. “‘Muscle power’ refers to the ability to generate muscle force quickly. During aging, it is lost more rapidly than muscle strength, contributing to disability, falls, reduced quality of life and, in some instances, death.”
“Myostatin antibody treatment improved muscle power in the elderly, as indicated by improvements in the ability to climb stairs, walk briskly and rise repetitively from a chair,” Warden said. “Treatment particularly benefited those who were most frail at baseline, a population who may not be receptive to conventional intervention such as resistance exercise.”
The Latest on: Muscle power
via Google News
The Latest on: Muscle power
- Dodge brings muscle-car power to sedan, SUV in a more family-friendly packageon February 27, 2021 at 7:47 pm
In the revival of the Detroit muscle-car wars, here's the current horsepower champion: the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye. It offers nearly 800 horsepower from a supercharged V8. But that might not ...
- Ranking The Fastest American Muscle Cars Made In The '90son February 27, 2021 at 4:04 pm
With brawny, high-performance V8s returning to the segment, the '90s gave muscle car enthusiasts a lot to look forward to.
- BJP's politics of money and muscle power a threat to future: Kamal Nathon February 21, 2021 at 10:29 am
Amid political turmoil in Puducherry, former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath on Sunday said that the Bharatiya Janata Partys (BJP) politics of money and muscle power are a threat to the ...
- These Are The Rarest Muscle Cars America Ever Producedon February 18, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Despite being built as performance machines accessible to the average consumer, these muscle cars eventually became priceless treasures.
- People with this muscle protein gene variant tolerate the cold betteron February 17, 2021 at 8:07 am
A gene variant that affects skeletal muscle function may have protected humans against lower temperatures as they migrated from Africa to Europe more than 50,000 years ago, suggests a study appearing ...
- Nonprofit donates Gatorade, Muscle Milk and blankets to help those without power in Charlotte Countyon February 16, 2021 at 8:08 pm
Eighty percent of Charlotte County is still without power, according to Gleaning For The World and the non-profit said there is no indication of when power will return. The organization has offered ...
- ‘Rath’ highlights BJP’s Bengal disconnecton February 10, 2021 at 9:22 pm
“Advani’s rathyatra might have been successful in other parts of the country, but as far as I can recall the discourse those days, it symbolised the muscle power of patriarchy, whereas people of ...
- How a tiny spider uses silk to lift prey 50 times its own weighton February 3, 2021 at 8:52 pm
Tangle web spiders, in the Theridiidae family, are masters of using silk to amplify muscle power. Their webs are “a messy tangle,” says Gabriele Greco, who studies biological materials at the ...
- British Army “Ice Maiden” expedition cross Antarctica in 62 days on muscle poweron January 31, 2021 at 10:12 am
The British Army’s ‘Ice Maiden’ Expedition has become the first all-female team to cross Antarctica using muscle power alone. After spending 62 days on the ice and covering 1700kms ...
- Election Commission has zero-tolerance to money and muscle power: CEC Aroraon January 23, 2021 at 6:12 am
Election Commission has zero-tolerance to money and muscle power: CEC Arora Covid vaccination drive: Nearly 14 lakh beneficiaries inoculated The newly-launched Samsung Galaxy F62 with its flagship ...
via Bing News