There’s some wonderful news from the NY Public Library, which has released over 180,000 high resolution digital images of public domain works that it found in its collection.
We’ve seen too many organizations, mainly museums, try to claim copyright over public domain works, or otherwise limit access. The NY Public Library, on the other hand, is going the other direction. Not only are they releasing these works and making it clear that the works are in the public domain, but they’re releasing them as high resolution images and actively encouraging people to make use of them.
In an interview with the NY Times, there are some fantastic quotes showing how seriously they take this. This isn’t just an “Oh, here, let’s dump some public domain material.” The NYPL is taking this seriously:
“We see digitization as a starting point, not end point,” said Ben Vershbow, the director of NYPL Labs, the in-house technology division that spearheaded the effort. “We don’t just want to put stuff online and say, ‘Here it is,’ but rev the engines and encourage reuse.”
And others are noticing as well:
“It’s not just a data dump,” said Dan Cohen, the executive director of the Digital Public Library of America, a consortium that offers one-stop access to digitized holdings from more than 1,300 institutions.
The New York Public has “really been thinking about how they can get others to use this material,” Mr. Cohen continued. “It’s a next step that I would like to see more institutions take.”
And part of this is about actually making the damn stuff useful, so they’re creating APIs to do more with the collection as well. And they’ve launched a Remix Residency program to encourage creators to create amazing new works building on all this public domain culture. They also have some cool examples to inspire other ideas, such as Mansion Maniac, an online game letting people explore mansion floor plans from early 20th century New York. More recent plans would be fun too, but sorry kids, those are locked up under copyright. There’s also another example, using images of New York City streets in 1911 and mashing them up with Google’s street view images of today.
There’s lots of fun stuff in the collection as well, including a ton of old maps, and other oddities. For example, playing around, I found what looks like an old “check” written by Thomas Jefferson:
The Latest on: Public Domain
via Google News
The Latest on: Public Domain
- Bihar govt most reluctant to put number of COVID-19 deaths in public domain: Patna HCon June 19, 2021 at 6:12 pm
The Patna High Court has directed the Bihar government to disclose accurate and timely statistics of deaths that occurred due to COVID-19 in the state through digital means.
- Bihar Reluctance To Put Covid Deaths In Public Domain Uncalled For: Courton June 18, 2021 at 6:58 pm
The Patna High Court on Friday observed that the Bihar government's reluctance to put the state's COVID-19 death count in the public domain is uncalled for.
- Centre may soon ask CBFC to review certification if content in film against ‘public order'on June 18, 2021 at 12:20 pm
As per a draft of the new Cinematograph Bill, the Centre may soon have the power to ask the CBFC to review the permission given to a movie if it feels the content is against 'public order'.
- Bihar government's reluctance to put COVID death toll in public domain uncalled for: Patna HCon June 18, 2021 at 9:59 am
It said that transparency is the hallmark of good governance, more so in today's era when both the Centre and the state are committed to making Digital India and National Data Sharing and ...
- Bihar govt's reluctance to put COVID death toll in public domain uncalled for: Patna HCon June 18, 2021 at 5:33 am
The Patna High Court on Friday observed that the Bihar government's reluctance to put the state's COVID death toll in the public domain is uncalled for.
- Mickey Harte will continue to bring the murder of daughter Michaela 'into the public domain'on June 10, 2021 at 6:00 pm
GAA manager Mickey Harte has vowed to continue to bring the murder of his daughter Michaela "into the public domain" as he criticised the authorities in Mauritius over their handling of the ...
- Div Com directs JPDCL to put power curtailment schedules in public domainon June 10, 2021 at 2:33 pm
DCs directed to monitor power scenario Correspondent JAMMU, June 10: Divisional Commissioner Jammu, Dr Raghav Langer has directed the Jammu ...
- DDA approves MPD-2041, puts it in public domain for suggestionson June 9, 2021 at 2:00 pm
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) on Wednesday put the approved draft of the Master Plan of Delhi (MPD)-2041 in the public domain for inviting objections and ...
- DDA approves MPD-2041, puts it in public domain for suggestionson June 9, 2021 at 1:25 pm
The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) on Wednesday put the approved draft of the Master Plan of Delhi (MPD)-2041 in the public domain for inviting objections and suggestions for the next 45 days.
- Lights-Camera-Action rules for Courts put in public domainon June 8, 2021 at 8:15 am
Lights-Camera-Action rules for Courts put in public domain Free Covid vaccine for 18-plus, Centre to procure doses for states: PM Modi Combining world-class education with social responsibility ...
via Bing News