There’s some wonderful news from the NY Public Library, which has released over 180,000 high resolution digital images of public domain works that it found in its collection.
We’ve seen too many organizations, mainly museums, try to claim copyright over public domain works, or otherwise limit access. The NY Public Library, on the other hand, is going the other direction. Not only are they releasing these works and making it clear that the works are in the public domain, but they’re releasing them as high resolution images and actively encouraging people to make use of them.
In an interview with the NY Times, there are some fantastic quotes showing how seriously they take this. This isn’t just an “Oh, here, let’s dump some public domain material.” The NYPL is taking this seriously:
“We see digitization as a starting point, not end point,” said Ben Vershbow, the director of NYPL Labs, the in-house technology division that spearheaded the effort. “We don’t just want to put stuff online and say, ‘Here it is,’ but rev the engines and encourage reuse.”
And others are noticing as well:
“It’s not just a data dump,” said Dan Cohen, the executive director of the Digital Public Library of America, a consortium that offers one-stop access to digitized holdings from more than 1,300 institutions.
The New York Public has “really been thinking about how they can get others to use this material,” Mr. Cohen continued. “It’s a next step that I would like to see more institutions take.”
And part of this is about actually making the damn stuff useful, so they’re creating APIs to do more with the collection as well. And they’ve launched a Remix Residency program to encourage creators to create amazing new works building on all this public domain culture. They also have some cool examples to inspire other ideas, such as Mansion Maniac, an online game letting people explore mansion floor plans from early 20th century New York. More recent plans would be fun too, but sorry kids, those are locked up under copyright. There’s also another example, using images of New York City streets in 1911 and mashing them up with Google’s street view images of today.
There’s lots of fun stuff in the collection as well, including a ton of old maps, and other oddities. For example, playing around, I found what looks like an old “check” written by Thomas Jefferson:
The Latest on: Public Domain
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Public Domain” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Public Domain
- Rambam In Depth: Impurity Doubts Between Private, Public Domainon November 29, 2023 at 1:40 pm
A class by Rabbi Heschel Greenberg on the Rambam’s Mishneh Torah: Impurity doubts between a Private and Public Domain.
- AI.com domain evidently acquired by OpenAI, takes users straight to … – Mashableon November 29, 2023 at 1:02 pm
Mashable asked OpenAI to confirm it was the buyer of the domain, but the company has not yet replied. “It obviously becomes public information when you go to it,” Gabriel told Mashable. As for the ...
- Google introduces '.meme' domain for meme-related websiteson November 29, 2023 at 8:53 am
Google Registry has launched a new domain extension '.meme' specifically designed for meme-related websites. This domain extension is currently in its early access phase and requires an additional fee ...
- ICANN Launches Global Service to Simplify Requests for Nonpublic Domain Name Registration Dataon November 28, 2023 at 10:17 am
This simplifies the process for requestors by automatically identifying the correct registrar for a domain name and preventing the need ... ICANN was formed in 1998 as a nonprofit public benefit ...
- Eminent domain case involving Georgia railroad could have widespread property law implicationson November 27, 2023 at 5:02 pm
A hearing began Monday in an eminent domain battle that involves one of rural Georgia's poorest areas but could have implications for property law across the state and nation.
- After Vokkaligas, now Lingayats to sign petition to CM to upend plans to place report in public domainon November 26, 2023 at 4:17 am
The development comes within a week of the Vokkaligara Sangha, the umbrella body of Vokkaligas, giving a petition to the CM, urging him not to accept the survey, conducted by the Karnataka State ...
- My comments on the legal aspects of a proposition that was brought into the public domain was done in a professional manneron November 24, 2023 at 10:07 pm
In my letter of November 23, I was acting in a professional manner and commenting on the legal aspects of a proposition which had been brought into the public domain. This I did on the basis of my ...
- This iconic mouse is weeks away from being in the public domainon November 22, 2023 at 8:25 am
When will Mickey Mouse enter the public domain? Is “Steamboat Willie” public domain? Who created Mickey Mouse?
- King Charles worried conversations with Prince Harry will 'end up in the public domain'on November 19, 2023 at 8:48 pm
Mirror’s Royal Editor Russell Myers says King Charles would be worried that any conversations he has with his son, Prince Harry, will "end up in the public domain".
- MCM-TV Behind-the-Scenes: Public Domain Classicson November 19, 2023 at 4:24 pm
A line drawing of the Internet Archive headquarters building façade. An illustration of a magnifying glass. An illustration of a magnifying glass.
via Bing News