New research has found, for the first time, a scientific solution that enables future internet infrastructure to become completely open and programmable while carrying internet traffic at the speed of light.
The research by High Performance Networks (HPN) group in the University of Bristol’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is published in the world’s first scientific journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A.
The current internet infrastructure is not able to support independent development and innovation at physical and network layer functionalities, protocols, and services, while at the same time supporting the increasing bandwidth demands of changing and diverse applications.
The research addresses this problem with a new high performance network infrastructure that is open and programmable and uses light to carry internet traffic. It introduces new concepts of open source optical internet enabled by optical white box and software defined network technologies
Dr Reza Nejabati, Reader in Optical Networks in the HPN group, said: “Hardware and software technologies reported in this paper can potentially revolutionised optical network infrastructure the same way that Google Android and Apple iOS did for mobile phones. These technologies will hide complexity of optical networks and open them up for traditional programmers and application developers to create new type of internet applications taking advantages of speed of light.”
Dimitra Simeonidou, Professor of High Performance Networks and who leads the HPN group, added: “New internet technologies frequently emerge, but most of them rarely result in new and revolutionary internet applications. The technologies suggested could pave the way for the creation of new internet services and applications not previously possible or disruptive.
The technologies could also potentially change the balance of power from vendors and operators that are monopolising the current internet infrastructure to wider users and service providers.”
The Latest on: internet of the future
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of the future
- Okta signs to acquire Auth0 for $US 6.5b shaping the future of Internet identityon March 3, 2021 at 4:09 pm
Independent identity provider, Okta, today announced it has entered a definitive agreement to acquire Auth0 for $US 6.5 billion in stock. The acquisition will accelerate the companies’ shared vision ...
- Roblox, GitHub and the power of online communities: A discussion with Madrona’s Dan Lion March 3, 2021 at 9:52 am
Online communities have existed since the dawn of the Internet age. And yet over the past 15 years as massive communities such as Facebook, Pinterest, Reddit and Twitter took ...
- 5G in the US: Why the network of the future has not yet delivered on the revolution that we were promised.on March 3, 2021 at 7:19 am
The data collected from 1 October 2020 to 31 December 2020 by our speed test , which measures the quality of Internet connections on millions of devices yearly, shows that 5G networks in the US did ...
- 4 Questions Driving the Future of Identity Without Third-Party Cookieson March 3, 2021 at 6:28 am
This article is sponsored by Oracle. If you spent most of 2020 counting down the days until 2021, then you’re not alone. For marketers, and almost everyone else for that matter, 2021 represents a ...
- Okta Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Auth0 to Provide Customer Identity for the Interneton March 3, 2021 at 5:25 am
Press Release Okta, Inc. (NASDAQ:OKTA), the leading independent identity provider, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Auth0, a leading identity platform for ...
- How the Improving Internet Penetration Is Spurring Growth of Online Clothing Rentals Market: Future Market Insights Report Analyzeson March 2, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Customers now enjoy online clothing sales thanks to their simple usability and the inclusion of an incredible variety at a limited cost. This is also fueling global demand for online clothing rental.
- What Kohl's, Target latest earnings signal about the future of retailon March 2, 2021 at 2:22 pm
Jerry Storch, Storch Advisors Founder & CEO, joined Yahoo Finance Live to discuss the latest earnings numbers from Target, Kohl's, and Abercrombie and Fitch.
- How Neopets Predicted the Future of the Social Interneton February 28, 2021 at 10:30 pm
Twenty years before Reddit users waged war against Wall Street, Neopets users led their own stock market revolution. It wasn’t the only way in which the site offered a glimpse of our online experience ...
- The Future of Europe's Fight Against Child Sexual Abuseon February 27, 2021 at 7:40 am
Like much of how the Internet is governed, the way we detect and remove child abuse material online began as an ad hoc set of private practices. In 1996, an early online child protection society ...
- Future Crimes And The Internet Of Tomorrow: What Do You Want The Web To Be In A Few Years?on February 21, 2021 at 9:35 pm
Are the potential harms on the open web great enough to warrant a restriction of social liberties and competition? The answer will determine our future.
via Bing News