EPFL scientists have developed a solar-panel material that can cut down on photovoltaic costs while achieving competitive power-conversion efficiency of 20.2%.
Some of the most promising solar cells today use light-harvesting films made from perovskites – a group of materials that share a characteristic molecular structure. However, perovskite-based solar cells use expensive “hole-transporting” materials, whose function is to move the positive charges that are generated when light hits the perovskite film. Publishing in Nature Energy, EPFL scientists have now engineered a considerably cheaper hole-transporting material that costs only a fifth of existing ones while keeping the efficiency of the solar cell above 20%.
As the quality of perovskite films increases, researchers are seeking other ways of improving the overall performance of solar cells. Inadvertently, this search targets the other key element of a solar panel, the hole-transporting layer, and specifically, the materials that make them up. There are currently only two hole-transporting materials available for perovskite-based solar cells. Both types are quite costly to synthesize, adding to the overall expense of the solar cell.
To address this problem, a team of researchers led by Mohammad Nazeeruddin at EPFL developed a molecularly engineered hole-transporting material, called FDT, that can bring costs down while keeping efficiency up to competitive levels. Tests showed that the efficiency of FDT rose to 20.2% – higher than the other two, more expensive alternatives. And because FDT can be easily modified, it acts as a blueprint for an entire generation of new low-cost hole-transporting materials.
“The best performing perovskite solar cells use hole transporting materials, which are difficult to make and purify and are prohibitively expensive, costing over €300 per gram, preventing market penetration,” says Nazeeruddin. “By comparison, FDT is easy to synthesize and purify, and its cost is estimated to be a fifth of that for existing materials – while matching, and even surpassing their performance.”
Read more: Cheaper solar cells with 20.2% efficiency
The Latest on: Solar cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar cells
- US solar is under threat from a DOC inquiry, but the commerce secretary won’t step inon May 16, 2022 at 2:37 pm
A DOC investigation is destabilizing the US solar industry but Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo says it's beyond her control.
- U.S. government solar panel probe adds more Asian companieson May 16, 2022 at 2:23 pm
JinkoSolar (NYSE:JKS) and Canadian Solar (NASDAQ:CSIQ) are among eight solar panel manufacturers (NYSEARCA:TAN) that are required by the U.S. Department of Commerce to provide further information ...
- This $6,500, solar-powered electric car is coming to Europe in 2023 — see the Squadon May 16, 2022 at 1:59 pm
Dutch startup Squad Mobility unveiled its first car, the all-electric Squad. The tiny city car charges through a built-in solar panel and has 62 miles of driving range. Squad Mobility is taking ...
- US-based battery cell maker to supply 18 GWh to off-grid solar generator provideron May 16, 2022 at 11:37 am
The American Battery Factory lithium ferro-phosphate cells will be integrated with Lion Energy portable solar generators and energy storage devices ranging from residential to utility-scale ...
- Assessing the impact of loss mechanisms in solar cell candidateon May 16, 2022 at 11:05 am
The superconductor antimony sulfide selenide is a potential candidate for solar materials, but this depends on understanding how to boost its efficiency.
- Perovskite Solar Cell Market Size [2022-2029] | Perovskite Solar Cell Industry Trends, Growth, Share, And Global Forecast Analysison May 16, 2022 at 5:04 am
Growing demand for alternate energy sources worldwide and rising rate of urbanization to boost installation of solar panels in residential spaces fueling the Perovskite Solar Cell industry growthPune, ...
- Organic Solar Cells Market is expected to reach the value of US$ 807.39 Mn by the end of 2031on May 16, 2022 at 4:34 am
Introduction The report states that akin to most of markets concerned with renewable power generation technologies, especially ...
- Your Ultimate Guide To Solar Panel Pricing And Incentives In North Carolinaon May 13, 2022 at 11:00 am
Get expert advice on improvements to your home, including design tips, how much you'd expect to pay for a pro and what to ask when hiring experts.
- Towards more efficient, non-toxic, and flexible thin-film solar cellson May 12, 2022 at 8:04 am
Climate change, one of the major global concerns today, has made it clear that fossil fuels are detrimental to our environment and are not a sustainable source of energy. It is imperative to adopt ...
via Bing News