Keeping the lights on: Solving the intermittency shortcomings of renewable solar energy
More efficient, eco-friendly electricity generation with a “solar flow battery” combines a redox flow battery and a dye-sensitized solar cell, using compatible, water-based (aqueous) solvents. Solar energy is harvested and stored as chemical energy during the charging process. When it is time to recharge the battery, the amount of energy needed to is lower than conventional lithium-iodine batteries because dye molecules, exposed to the sun, donate electrons to the recharging process.
Energy generation from a solar flow battery is more cost-effective, eco-friendly, and can achieve energy savings up to 20% compared to conventional lithium-iodine batteries. Solar flow batteries make renewable solar energy more practical for keeping the lights on and appliances running with stand-alone electricity generation and storage.
Last year, researchers at The Ohio State University demonstrated photo-assisted charging of a lithium-oxygen (Li-O2) battery; however, they used organic (carbon-based) solvents that limited its compatibility with aqueous redox flow batteries. Now, these researchers have built a solar flow battery that uses an eco-friendly, compatible solvent and requires a lower applied voltage to recharge the battery. In solar flow batteries, the proposed charging process links harvesting solar energy and storing it as chemical energy via the electrolyte. The aqueous electrolyte is in contact with the counter electrode of the battery and the dye-sensitized photo-electrode of the solar cell. To recharge the battery, it is exposed to sunlight. The sunlight causes the dye molecules in the electrolyte to donate electrons to the photo-electrode, reducing the amount of energy needed to recharge the battery. The applied voltage to recharge the solar flow battery is reduced to 2.9 Volts compared to over 3.6 Volts for conventional lithium-iodine batteries, resulting in an energy savings of up to 20%. The aqueous solar flow battery performs better and is more cost-effective and eco-friendly than those based on organic solvents. The aqueous solar flow battery could solve the intermittency shortcomings of renewable energy and keep the lights on and appliances running.
The Latest on: Solar flow battery
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar flow battery
- Did AEMO just kill off the market for battery-based Virtual Power Plants?on July 1, 2021 at 9:18 pm
AEMO has made it harder for battery-based VPPs and distributed energy resources to participate in the important frequency control markets.
- Ameresco Awards Hannah Solar Government Services Contract to Install Fort Hunter Liggett Microgridon July 1, 2021 at 9:27 am
Ameresco has awarded Hannah Solar Government Services the contract to install a $21.6 million military microgrid at USAG Fort Hunter Liggett.
- The best solar birdbaths to bring all the birds to your yard.on June 30, 2021 at 11:59 am
Get one of the best solar birdbaths for your yard this spring and summer and catch a glimpse of the local songbirds as they bathe!
- Global Flow Batteries Market to Reach $961.9 Million by 2026on June 30, 2021 at 7:05 am
A new market study published by Global Industry Analysts Inc., (GIA) the premier market research company, today released its report ...
- FPL unveils new solar center as Florida projects boom in renewableson June 30, 2021 at 4:02 am
After imploding its last coal electric plant, FPL officials unveil their newest solar energy center — this one in western Palm Beach County.
- Floating PV and flow batteries to power highways’ junction in the Netherlandson June 29, 2021 at 12:51 am
A floating PV array coupled to flow batteries is planned to power the operations of a new road under construction to connect two highways in the Netherlands. The project is aimed, in particular, at ...
- Battery Energy Storage Market Data With Current And Future Growth, Feasibility And Regional Analysis 2029on June 28, 2021 at 4:17 am
Research Nester published a report titled "Battery Energy Storage Market: Global Demand Analysis & Opportunity ...
- Global Flow Batteries Market Report 2021: Focus on Load Shifting, Peaking Capacity, Microgrid Formationon June 27, 2021 at 9:23 pm
The "Global Flow Batteries Market: 2021-2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The flow battery report covers all batteries that are currently available commercially. The ...
- Vanadium flow batteries for a zero-emissions energy systemon June 27, 2021 at 8:08 pm
Growth in renewables and corresponding market pricing is the key driver for the commercialisation and global adoption for vanadium flow batteries (VFBs) and an important reason why we will see further ...
- Malaysian green hydrogen project opts for Perth-based flow batterieson June 21, 2021 at 9:53 pm
Australia-based TNG Limited has signed an agreement with Malaysian green hydrogen company AGV Energy which will see its vanadium redox flow batteries integrated into the HySustain project to store ...
via Bing News