Substantially smaller and longer-lasting batteries for everything from portable electronic devices to electric cars could be come a reality thanks to an innovative technology developed by University of Waterloo researchers.
Zhongwei Chen, a chemical engineering professor at Waterloo, and a team of graduate students have created a low-cost battery using silicon that boosts the performance and life of lithium-ion batteries. Their findings are published in the latest issue of Nature Communications.
Waterloo’s silicon battery technology promises a 40 to 60 per cent increase in energy density, which is important for consumers with smartphones, smart homes and smart wearables.
The environmentally safe technology could also make dramatic improvements for hybrid and electric vehicles. The findings could mean an electric car may be driven up to 500 kilometres between charges and the smaller, lighter batteries may significantly reduce the overall weight of vehicles.
Current lithium-ion batteries normally use graphite anodes. The Waterloo engineers found that silicon anode materials have a much higher capacity for lithium and are capable of producing batteries with almost 10 times more energy.
“Graphite has long been used to build the negative electrodes in lithium-ion batteries,” said Professor Chen, the Canada Research Chair in Advanced Materials for Clean Energy and a member of the Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology and the Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy. “But as batteries improve, graphite is slowly becoming a performance bottleneck because of the limited amount of energy that it can store.”
The most critical challenge the Waterloo researchers faced when they began producing batteries using silicon was the loss of energy that occurs when silicon contracts and then expands by as much as 300 per cent with each charge cycle. The resulting increase and decrease in silicon volume forms cracks that reduce battery performance, create short circuits, and eventually cause the battery to stop operating.
To overcome this problem, Professor Chen’s team along with the General Motors Global Research and Development Centre developed a flash heat treatment for fabricated silicon-based lithium-ion electrodes that minimizes volume expansion while boosting the performance and cycle capability of lithium-ion batteries.
“The economical flash heat treatment creates uniquely structured silicon anode materials that deliver extended cycle life to more than 2000 cycles with increased energy capacity of the battery,” said Professor Chen.
The Latest on: Silicon anode
via Google News
The Latest on: Silicon anode
- GM working to increase range, slash cost of auto batterieson April 11, 2021 at 5:12 am
General Motors is working on cutting the cost of electric vehicle batteries and their reliance on price-sensitive metals ...
- Silicon Anode Battery Market to See Booming Business Sentiments | LG Chem (South Korea), Nexeon Limited (U.K.), Los Angeles Cleantech Incubatoron April 8, 2021 at 3:44 am
The latest research on “Global Silicon Anode Battery Market Report 2021” offered by Data Bridge Market Research provides a comprehensive investigation into the geographical landscape, industry size ...
- What led Silicon Anode Battery Market 2025 to mark 332.9 Million USD with CAGR of 22 %on April 6, 2021 at 8:45 am
Apr 06, 2021 (Market Insight Reports) -- Selbyville, Delaware. The New Research Report on Global Silicon Anode Battery Market till 2025 added by Market Study Report LLC studies the current and ...
- Silicon Anode Battery Market Will Reflect Significant Growth Prospects during 2018-2026on April 5, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Increasing capacity of silicon anode batteries will further add to the suitability of such batteries in dozens of energy storage applications. Global silicon anode battery market was valued at US$ XX ...
- Global Battery Silicon Anode Material Market 2021 Industry Scenario, Strategies, Growth Factors and Forecast to 2026on April 4, 2021 at 8:39 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Apr 04, 2021 (CDN Newswire via Comtex) -- Global Battery Silicon Anode Material Market Growth 2021-2026 is the latest ...
- The Coretec Group builds on its Intellectual Property Portfolioon March 31, 2021 at 4:00 am
The Coretec Group filed a provisional patent on novel capabilities of Coretec’s CHS-derived silicon within next-generation silicon anode battery tech.
- Silicon Anodes May Improve Lithium Ion Batterieson March 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm
One area of particular interest is the replacement of the graphite carbon negative electrode (anode) with silicon. When a lithium ion battery is charged, lithium ions move between the layers of carbon ...
- NEO’s silicon anodes achieve long-term cyclingon March 30, 2021 at 6:42 am
NEO Battery Materials (TSXV: NBM) announced that it has achieved a highly stable long-term cycling ability using 100% silicon (Si) anodes. In a press release, the Vancouver-based firm said the ...
- Significant Results in Long-Term Cycling Ability and Mechanical Durability with NEO Battery's 100% Silicon Anode Materialson March 29, 2021 at 12:22 am
(MENAFN - Newsfile Corp) Significant Results in Long-Term Cycling Ability and Mechanical Durability with NEO Battery's 100% Silicon Anode Materials Vancouver, British Columbia--(Newsfile Corp ...
- Significant Results in Long-Term Cycling Ability and Mechanical Durability with NEO Battery's 100% Silicon Anode Materialson March 28, 2021 at 9:46 pm
As Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, said, incorporating silicon into the anode of a Li-ion battery has the potential to improve energy density by 20-40%, extending the maximum range of vehicles by 20%.
via Bing News