Researchers at BYU have devised a system to speed up the process of making life-saving vaccines for new viruses.
Their concept is to create the biological machinery for vaccine production en masse, put it in a freeze-dried state and stockpile it around the country. Then, when a new virus hits, labs can simply add water to a “kit” to rapidly produce vaccines.
“You could just pull it off the shelf and make it,” said senior author Brad Bundy, associate professor of chemical engineering. “We could make the vaccine and be ready for distribution in a day.”
The research, published in Biotechnology Journal, demonstrates the ability to store the drug and vaccine-making machinery for more than a year.
Traditional systems to produce vaccines for pandemic influenza strains require heavy engineering and specialized equipment that only a few labs across the country have on hand. These traditional systems are also time-consuming, taking months to execute.
Bundy’s idea is a new angle on the emerging method of “cell-free protein synthesis,” a process that combines DNA to make proteins needed for drugs (instead of growing protein in a cell). His lab is creating a system where the majority of the work is done beforehand so vaccine kits can be ready to go and be activated at the drop of a dime.
“It will not only provide a quicker response to pandemics, but it will also make protein-based drugs more available to third-world countries where production and refrigerated storage can be problematic,” added William Pitt, a study coauthor and fellow BYU professor of chemical engineering.
While the team is now testing their version of the cell-free, recombinant DNA process for vaccine production, they’ve already successfully demonstrated it for at least one anti-cancer protein (onconase).
The researchers believe their method can significantly reduce investment of time and money towards future drug production and, in turn, reduce treatment expenses for patients.
“The drugs today are changing,” Bundy said. “The lifesaving cancer drugs we have now, the drugs for arthritis, the drugs with the greatest impact, are made out of proteins, not small chemical molecules. This method takes full advantage of that to provide a quicker, more personal response.”
The Latest on: Making vaccines
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Making vaccines” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Making vaccines
- Column: Trump and RFK Jr. want to make the world safe again for polio and measles. You should be terrifiedon March 5, 2024 at 5:00 am
Trump and Robert F. Kennedy issued attacks on child vaccinations, including for polio, last week. They want to return us to the 1950s, when preventable diseases struck millions of Americans.
- RFK Jr. Embraced a Wildly Pseudoscientific Study Linking Vaccines to Chronic Illnesson March 4, 2024 at 11:00 pm
Even before 2020, when COVID-19 vaccine skepticism enveloped new shades of otherwise ... "Robert Kennedy Jr, and other good people will be able to make good use of this evidence," Garner wrote to ...
- Companion Animal Vaccines Market Forecasting an Eclipse of US$ 6.7 Billion by 2033on March 4, 2024 at 10:11 pm
The companion animal vaccines market has witnessed significant growth in recent years, driven by an increasing awareness of preventive healthcare measures for pets and a rising demand for high-quality ...
- Scientists report positive immune response against mpox using a COVID-19 vaccineon March 4, 2024 at 12:35 pm
Scientists at City of Hope, one of the largest cancer research and treatment organizations in the United States, show that a COVID-19 vaccine developed at the organization's Los Angeles campus also ...
- Did you get the measles vaccine before? Here’s how to check your immunization statuson March 4, 2024 at 7:45 am
The measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, or MMR, is one of the mandatory vaccines needed to immigrate into the U.S. and to become a resident. It’s also one of the required vaccines kids need to get in ...
- 'Sudden Deafness': COVID Vaccine Linked to Hearing Loss, Recent Study Suggestson March 4, 2024 at 6:14 am
Multiple studies have shown that some people suffered sudden hearing loss after taking a COVID vaccine, Knewz.com has learned. “I did all the exams and could not find any other reason other than ...
- Del. Fluharty against proposed school vaccine exemptions: “We don’t need to be making measles great again in West Virginia”on March 3, 2024 at 6:08 pm
WEST VIRGINIA (WTRF) — New school vaccine rules are making their way through the West Virginia legislature, but one Ohio County delegate says the bill’s path to passage could also be one that leads to ...
- Congress Should Simplify Medicare's Vaccine Coverageon March 3, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Sending patients to another setting for specific vaccines results in fragmented care. Some of my patients struggle to make online vaccination appointments, rely on their family to drive them to their ...
- Plant Molecular Farming as a Novel Vaccine Production Methodon March 3, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Regardless, with greater innovations in plant genetic engineering and purification techniques, plant-based systems are expected to make increasing contributions to vaccine production for use in ...
- A New COVID Vaccine Dose Is Now Available for People Age 65 and Older. Where Can You Find a Shot Near You?on March 2, 2024 at 4:01 am
The new COVID vaccine was authorized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Tuesday, and is now rolling out across the US. Here's how to find a free COVID vaccine near you.
via Bing News