TU Wien (Vienna) and TriLite Technologies present a new prototype for a 3D display which can be used without 3D glasses – just in time for the “Back to the Future Day” on October 21st, 2015
Flying cars, hoverboards and video chat – a very futuristic vision for the year 2015 was presented in the movie “Back to the Future Part II”, released in 1989. Now, shortly before “Back to the Future Day” on October 21st, 2015, it is time to check whether reality has indeed kept up with the daring predictions of the 80s.
One of the technological innovations presented in this film was a huge 3D display. As far as this invention is concerned, Hollywood was almost right. Such displays will soon be possible. TU Wien and TriLite Technologies are presenting a display element which uses special micro optics and moving micro mirrors to project different pictures into different directions. This technology can be used to create 3D displays without the need for 3D glasses.
3D Pictures on Huge Outdoor Displays
Marty McFly, the protagonist of the movie “Back to the Future Part II”, uses a time machine to travel from the year 1985 to October 21st, 2015. In the technological utopia of 2015 he is in for quite a few surprises. One of them is a colossal display on top of a cinema, from which a terrifying 3D shark seems to jump out to get him. Back in the 80s, no viable concepts for such a 3D display technology existed. But today, this technology is within reach.
A first prototype has been developed by TriLite Technologies and TU Wien a few months ago. Each 3D pixel (called “TrixelTM“) consists of a laser and a moveable mirror. The mirror directs the laser beams across the field of vision, from left to right. During that movement the image information is changed. With this basic idea, different pictures can be sent to the viewer´s left and right eye, so that a 3D effect is created without the need for 3D glasses.
The Latest on: 3D Displays Without Glasses
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D Displays Without Glasses
- Automatic Sunglasses, No Battery!on April 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Their story starts with the fad for 3D displays a few years ... encounter a new TV or graphics card without it coming with a pair of cheap plastic glasses with LCD panels instead of lenses that ...
- DXG's 3D View sacrifices HD, but makes 3D video recording pocketableon April 13, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The budget cam maker has just announced its 3D View stereoscopic ... 7-inch LCD display (800 x 480 resolution) for playing back your recorded footage without requiring glasses -- thanks to some ...
- The best AR smart glasses and headsets 2021on April 11, 2021 at 5:00 pm
We are getting the ability to track fitness, tune into audio without headphones ... the chunky-looking A3 glasses project stereoscopic 1080p resolution displays and can offer support for working ...
- Nintendo 3DS to feature 3.4-inch Sharp parallax barrier display?on April 1, 2021 at 5:00 pm
There aren't many mass production options on the market when it comes to glasses-less 3D displays ... with or without a touchscreen. A non-touchscreen version of the display goes into mass ...
- Army eyes glasses-free 3D display technology for future combat vehicles and unmanned vehicle control stationson March 29, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The market survey is part of a potential TARDEC 3D Display Without Glasses and Head Tracking program. Autostereoscopy refers to displaying stereoscopic images without the aid of special headgear ...
- 3D Display Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type, Technology, and Application, and Geographyon March 24, 2021 at 5:10 pm
Companies are increasingly developing 3D display technologies that can produce high-resolution, full-color, and ultimate 3D images/videos without the need of any glasses. A few of the key potential ...
- Which Currently Available 3DTV Is Best?on March 24, 2021 at 4:59 pm
Both displays require you to look like a dork by wearing a pair of 3D glasses ... each eye a separate image 60 times a second. Without the glasses, you see a confusing mess of two images slightly ...
- 3D Display Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type, Technology, and Application, and Geographyon March 24, 2021 at 6:00 am
New York, March 24, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "3D Display Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Global Analysis By Type, Technology, and ...
- Sony Unveils 'Spatial Reality Display' with Eye-Tracking for Glasses-Free 3Don October 17, 2020 at 8:41 am
Somewhat like the glasses-free 3D TVs that made big news in the early 2010s, Spatial Reality Display lets you see rendered 3D content (and presumably also light fields) without needing any special ...
- Huge ultra-realistic outdoor 3D displays without glasses planned for next yearon January 20, 2015 at 9:09 am
Current 3D movies only show two different pictures — one slightly different for each eye. The new display can create hundreds or thousands of pictures — one for each viewing location (or viewer).
via Bing News