Toshiba, ADVA Optical Networking and BT have announced a breakthrough in new encryption technology, successfully securing 200GB/s of data over a 100km length of fibre using quantum cryptography.
The system, which encodes encryption keys onto single photons, is able to transmit data five times faster than the previous record for quantum-encrypted data of 40GB/s.
This latest breakthrough is another step on the road to “unhackable” networks as, with this type of quantum encryption, if a person tries to compromise the network and read the data they will change the encoding and alert the system that a breach has been attempted.
The fact that the Toshiba/ADVA/BT consortium uses single photons in its cryptography is part of what has enabled it to smash the bandwidth record.
“Some quantum key distribution (QKD) systems are based on entangled pairs of photons, but here, we’re using just single photons,” Dr Andrew Shields, assistant MD of Toshiba Research Europe, told IT Pro.
“The benefit of using a single photon is we can achieve much higher bitrates and longer distances, although the security of the two techniques is the same,” he explained.
While the technology is still at the research and testing phase, Shields believes unhackable communications networks could be a reality for all in the not-too-distant future.
“We’re coming very close to the time when we will see this working in practice,” said Shields.
Read more: Researchers secure 200GB/s data connection with quantum cryptography
The Latest on: Quantum cryptography
[google_news title=”” keyword=”quantum cryptography” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Quantum cryptography
- How fear of future quantum hacks could expose sensitive data nowon March 30, 2023 at 3:00 am
The rush to create encryption schemes that would be resistant to cyberattacks from quantum computers may be opening a new, more devastating vulnerability.
- 2023 to 2030 Quantum Cryptography Solutions Market Upcoming Trendson March 29, 2023 at 8:36 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Mar 29, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- “Quantum Cryptography Solutions Market” Are a Collection of Information and Analysis ...
- QuSecure and Accenture Team in First Successful Multi-Orbit Communications Link Showcasing Post-Quantum Crypto Modernizationon March 29, 2023 at 12:10 pm
QuSecure today announced that the company has accomplished the first successful multi-orbit data communications test secured with.
- QuSecure and Accenture Test Multi-Orbit Communications Link Using Post-Quantum Cryptographyon March 29, 2023 at 4:02 am
Quantum security firm QuSecure collaborated with Accenture to develop a multi-orbit quantum-resilient satellite communications capability ...
- Top "Post-Quantum Cryptography Market" Highlights 2023-2031, With 111 Pageson March 28, 2023 at 9:24 pm
The latest research study on “Post-Quantum Cryptography Market” 2023 with 111 + pages of analysis on business strategy taken up byemerging industry players, geographical scope, market segments, ...
- Gossip About Gossip: NIST Post-Quantum Cryptography Standardon March 28, 2023 at 6:53 pm
Rohit Sinha discusses the challenges posed by quantum computing in protecting cryptography and the NIST post-quantum cryptography standard.
- Govt launches ‘quantum communication’ network with a dare: Rs 10L for ethical hackers who can break encryptionon March 27, 2023 at 8:18 am
Quantum communication refers to communication channels that take advantage of laws of quantum physics to protect data & in theory, is much more secure than traditional systems.
- Why Businesses Need to Leverage the NIST Post Quantum Cryptographic Standards to Fortify Their Cybersecurity Futureon March 22, 2023 at 2:36 am
By Dr Ali El Kaafarani, Founder and CEO of PQShield July 5th, 2022, marked an important milestone in the fight to secure sensitive data against future cyber-attacks from quantum computers. The U.S. Na ...
- How financial institutions can chart a roadmap to post-quantum securityon March 21, 2023 at 12:19 pm
By Ben Packman, Senior Vice President of Strategy at post-quantum cryptography company, PQShield Quantum computing is expected to be revolutionary for financial institutions. During 2022, we saw a ...
- Cloudflare offers free post-quantum cryptography protection to customerson March 17, 2023 at 11:52 am
Content delivery network provider Cloudflare Inc. today announced it will provide post-quantum cryptography for free by default to all customers to help secure their websites, application programming ...
via Bing News