In the latest advance to boost the speed of the Internet, a research team including, the City College of New York, University of Southern California, University of Glasgow, and Corning Incorporated, demonstrates a way to increase the data speeds of optical fibers – considered the Internet’s backbone.
“Optical fibers can be sped up by ‘twisting’ data; multiple data streams are transmitted and received as different twists of light,” says Giovanni Milione, a City College doctoral student at the time. “Thought impossible using standard optical fibers which untwist the data, corrupting it, we showed that if the data was digitally re-twisted, after it was received, it could be recovered.”
To digitally re-twist the data, the researchers borrowed a well-known technique of radio communication, referred to as ‘MIMO,’ used by cell phones and Wi-Fi routers every day. “Light’s twists were treated like antennas,” Milione explains. “Even if transmitted data was untwisted, it was received as a different twist (antenna) and recovered.”
As a proof of principal, the researchers successfully transmitted four data streams on four twists of light over 5 kilometers of standard optical fiber. A key to their experiment was a University of Glasgow-made device that separates and combines light’s twists as a prism does color.
“This development could offer a solution to the insatiable needs of data-driven social media, such as, Facebook and YouTube, which continually push optical fiber data speed limits,” said Distinguished Professor of Physics Robert R. Alfano.
The Latest on: Optical fiber data speed
via Google News
The Latest on: Optical fiber data speed
- Facebook hires NEC to build a subsea fiber-optic cable between Europe and the USon October 12, 2021 at 10:40 am
The goal of this initiative is to drastically improve data transfer speeds between the two regions. The cable will be composed of 24 fiber pairs, with ...
- Gateway Fiber Expands Gigabit Internet Network into Dardenne Prairie and Lake Saint Louison October 11, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Fiber optic internet provider Gateway Fiber is now taking orders for its residential and commercial high-speed internet services in Dardenne Prairie, Lake Saint Louis, and other parts of St. Charles ...
- Why Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites are beaming data by laseron October 10, 2021 at 11:00 pm
High-speed, low-latency laser transmissions could help Starlink and other companies blanket the planet in high-quality internet access.
- Fiber Optics Market 2021-2026: Size, Share, Growth, Industry Outlook, Top Companies, Opportunity and Research Reporton October 10, 2021 at 11:16 am
As per the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “ Fiber Optics Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2021-2026”, the global fiber optic ...
- Dark Fiber Market is Anticipated to reach USD 20,011 Mn in 2027, Analysis on Dark Fiber Network Growth Says Brandessence Market Researchon October 8, 2021 at 5:47 am
The Global Dark Fiber Market in terms of revenue was worth of USD 9,779.6 Million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 20,011 Million in 2027, according to a new report by Brandessence Market Research ...
- Pennsylvania builds high-speed data lane along turnpikeon October 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm
The roadside fiber-optic network will allow the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission to upgrade its communications capacity, prepare for smart safety and mobility technology and make broadband available ...
- Facebook Connectivity unveils robot that can speed fiber deploymenton October 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Facebook created the Bombyx robot to rapidly install fiber-optic cable over telephone wires in a fraction of the time it usually takes.
- Shentel to Expand its Glo Fiber High-Speed Fiber-Optic Network to Hanover, PAon October 4, 2021 at 7:01 am
Glo Fiber, powered by Shenandoah Telecommunications Company (“Shentel”) (Nasdaq: SHEN), today announced the construction of their all-fiber network is underway in Hanover, PA, and service is expected ...
- Global High Speed Fiber Optic Sensor Market 2021 Growth Opportunities, Top Manufacturers, Regions, Application, and Forecast to 2027on October 3, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Global High Speed Fiber Optic Sensor Market Growth 2021-2027 is the latest research study published by MRInsights.biz that provides a thorough overview contains a microscopic summary of ...
- Shentel to Expand its Glo Fiber High-Speed Fiber-Optic Network to Hanover, PAon September 28, 2021 at 2:53 pm
The Glo Fiber network will offer high-speed data, streaming TV ... state-of-the-art cable, fiber-optic and fixed wireless networks to customers in the Mid-Atlantic United States.
via Bing News