Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Capacitors” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- Electrochemical Capacitors Market Outlook| Witness Growth Opportunity with a CAGR of 3.6%, Current Trends, Share, and Forecast to 2022-2028on November 20, 2022 at 11:14 pm
Nov 21, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the COVID-19 and Russia Ukraine war impact on this industry." Report ...
- The Science of It: Eddy currentson November 20, 2022 at 9:23 pm
SANIKA: THE ORLANDO SCIENCE CENTER IS KNOWN FOR USING FUN TRICKS AND CRAFTS TO TEACH KIDS ALL ABOUT DIFFERENT PARTS OF SCIENCE, BUT THIS TIME, ALEX ALECCI IS PARTICIPATING IN THE FUN. SHELDON: -- ...
- Ceramic Power Capacitors Market Size Analysis 2022 (By Segment, Key Players and Applications) and Forecasts To 2028 | 105 Report Pageson November 20, 2022 at 9:00 pm
" Ceramic Power Capacitors Market " report presents a comprehensive overview, market shares, and growth opportunities of Ceramic Power Capacitors market by product type, application, key manufacturers ...
- 10 Best Audio Coupling Capacitorson November 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm
FUNCTION: Audio coupling capacitors are used on music related circuits to achieve the purpose of good sound quality. SAFETY: Coupling capacitors isolate strong and weak current, provide high ...
- 10 Best Capacitorson November 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm
7.5 uf Capacitor or 7.5 MFD Dual Run AC Capacitor. Replaces BOTH 370 & 440 VAC capacitors Replacement for :27L566BZ3 , 27L566 , 27L566S , 97F9001 , Z97F9001 ,97F9001BX ,CPT-00120 ,TP-CAP-7.5/440 ...
- History Of The Capacitor – The Modern Eraon November 18, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The pioneering years in the history of capacitors was a time when capacitors were used primarily for gaining an early understanding of electricity, predating the discovery even of the electron.
- KYOCERA AVX ANNOUNCES THE COMPLETION OF ITS NEW THAI MANUFACTURING FACILITY FOR CERAMIC & TANTALUM CAPACITORSon November 10, 2022 at 5:31 am
KYOCERA AVX, a leading global manufacturer of advanced electronic components engineered to accelerate technological innovation and build a better future, has ...
- Aluminum Capacitors Market To Hit USD 7.3 Bn, Globally, By 2027 At 2.5% CAGRon November 10, 2022 at 1:34 am
Aluminum Capacitors Market Growth and Forecast Aluminum Capacitors Market estimated at USD 6.1 Bn in the year 2020, is projected to reach ...
- OS-CON series capacitors by Panasonicon November 3, 2022 at 4:18 am
The greatest challenge in this field has been the miniaturisation of capacitors, which not only perform a number of functions in almost every circuit, but also – on account of their design and ...
- Global Capacitors Market to Reach $27.6 Billion by 2027on October 27, 2022 at 10:00 pm
New York, Oct. 19, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global Capacitors Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p05864202 ...
via Bing News