Nanotechnology offers new approach to increasing storage ability of dielectric capacitors
For Back to the Future fans, this week marked a milestone that took three decades to reach.
Oct. 21, 2015, was the day that Doc Brown and Marty McFly landed in the future in their DeLorean, with time travel made possible by a “flux capacitor.”
While the flux capacitor still conjures sci-fi images, capacitors are now key components of portable electronics, computing systems, and electric vehicles.
In contrast to batteries, which offer high storage capacity but slow delivery of energy, capacitors provide fast delivery but poor storage capacity.
A great deal of effort has been devoted to improving this feature — known as energy density — of dielectric capacitors, which comprise an insulating material sandwiched between two conducting metal plates.
The work is reported in a paper, “Dielectric Capacitors with Three-Dimensional Nanoscale Interdigital Electrodes for Energy Storage,” published in Science Advances, the first open-access, online-only journal of AAAS.
“With our approach, we achieved an energy density of about two watts per kilogram, which is significantly higher than that of other dielectric capacitor structures reported in the literature,” says Bingqing Wei, professor of mechanical engineering at UD.
“To our knowledge, this is the first time that 3D nanoscale interdigital electrodes have been realized in practice,” he adds. “With their high surface area relative to their size, carbon nanotubes embedded in uniquely designed and structured 3D architectures have enabled us to address the low ability of dielectric capacitors to store energy.”
Read more: Capacitor breakthrough
The Latest on: Capacitors
via Google News
The Latest on: Capacitors
- Here's Why Knowles (KN) is an Enticing Investment Bet Nowon March 5, 2021 at 6:45 am
Proprietary manufacturing techniques and global scale of operations facilitate Knowles (KN) to fine tune its business with the evolving customer demands and invest in high-value solutions.
- Tesla Battery Rival Signs Deal to Enter Asian Car Marketon March 5, 2021 at 4:29 am
A Baltic energy storage maker that competes with Tesla Inc will enter the Asian market for electric and hydrogen vehicles through a deal with a Japanese conglomerate.
- HVDC PP Film Capacitor Market Report: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysison March 4, 2021 at 5:35 am
Trends, opportunities, and forecast of PP film capacitors in the global HVDC market to 2025 by technology (line commutated converter and voltage sourced converter), installation type (open rack and ...
- Tecate Group Expands Product Offering of Hybrid Lithium-Ion 3.8 Volt Capacitorson March 3, 2021 at 6:00 am
Tecate Group is pleased to announce the expansion of its TPLC™ series of hybrid lithium-ion capacitors (LICs). The PBLC™ series features the quick-connect Molex 87439-0200, which eliminates the ...
- Safety Capacitors Market 2021 Competition Statistics, by Players Murata Manufacturing and Johanson Dielectricson February 27, 2021 at 4:03 pm
A recent systematic review report on “ Safety Capacitors Market Outlook With New Entrants Feasibility & Regional Forecast 2031 | Changing the Face of Electronics Industry”, came out Market.us research ...
- New Cornell Dubilier Flat Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors withstand 150C and 80g Vibrationon February 27, 2021 at 2:17 am
New Cornell Dubilier Flat Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors withstand 150°C and 80g VibrationExpanded Line of CDE's NHR-Slimpack High-Temperature Prismatic Capacitors are released by New Yorker ...
- Vishay Intertechnology Launches Industry’s First SMD Ceramic Safety Capacitors With Y1 Rating of 500 VAC and 1500 VDCon February 24, 2021 at 8:00 am
Vishay Intertechnology, Inc. today introduced a new series of surface-mount AC line rated ceramic disc safety capacitors that are the industry’ s first such devices to offer a Y1 rating of 500 V AC ...
- Global HVDC Capacitors Industryon February 23, 2021 at 7:05 am
New York, Feb. 23, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Global HVDC Capacitors Industry" - https://www.reportlinker.com/p05956996/?utm_source=GNW 1 Billion by ...
- High Temperature Capacitors Market Size Research Report 2021 by Revenue Estimates, Market Share, Price and Forecast to 2027 Says Absolute Reportson February 22, 2021 at 7:20 am
Feb (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." “High Temperature Capacitors ...
- Richardson Electronics, Ltd. Expands Support for EV Wireless Charging Solutions with Celem’s HTC Series of High Temperature Capacitorson February 19, 2021 at 8:12 am
Richardson Electronics, Ltd. (NASDAQ: RELL) announced today its ability to provide improved support for Electric Vehicle (EV) Wireless Charging solutions with Celem’s HTC series of high temperature ...
via Bing News