Overweight and obese adults are advised to exercise to improve their health, but more than 50 percent do not do so. New research to be presented at the 14th International Conference on Endothelin: Physiology, Pathophysiology and Therapeutics suggests that taking vitamin C supplements daily can have similar cardiovascular benefits as regular exercise in these adults.
The blood vessels of overweight and obese adults have elevated activity of the small vessel-constricting protein endothelin (ET)-1. Because of the high ET-1 activity, these vessels are more prone to constricting, becoming less responsive to blood flow demand and increasing risk of developing vascular disease.
Exercise has been shown to reduce ET-1 activity, but incorporating an exercise regimen into a daily routine can be challenging. This study, conducted at the University of Colorado, Boulder, examined whether vitamin C supplements, which have been reported to improve vessel function, can also lower ET-1 activity.
The researchers found that daily supplementation of vitamin C (500 mg/day, time-released) reduced ET-1-related vessel constriction as much as walking for exercise did. Vitamin C supplementation represents an effective lifestyle strategy for reducing ET-1-mediated vessel constriction in overweight and obese adults, the researchers wrote.
Read more: Vitamin C: The Exercise Replacement?
The Latest on: Exercise Replacement
via Google News
The Latest on: Exercise Replacement
- I Tried the Mirror for a Year and Was So Impressed I Canceled My Gym Membershipon January 22, 2021 at 10:10 am
If you haven’t seen the TV commercials or those Instagram ads that always seem to know what you’re thinking, the Mirror bills itself as a “nearly invisible home gym.” That’s because, true to its ...
- Group Nine Acquisition Corp. Announces Closing of $230M Initial Public Offering, Including Full Exercise of the Underwriters’ Over-Allotment Optionon January 20, 2021 at 3:57 pm
Group Nine Acquisition Corp. (GNAC or the Company), announced today the closing of its initial public offering of 23,000,000 units which included the full exercise of the underwriters’ over-allotment ...
- Coronavirus: Epidemiologists call for removing smoking, exercise areas in managed isolation facilitieson January 18, 2021 at 9:29 pm
Two public health experts have called for even tougher measures at the border, including removing smoking and exercise areas at our managed isolation hotels. The Government announced on Tuesday that ...
- Cullinan Management Announces Closing of Initial Public Offering and Full Exercise of Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional Shareson January 13, 2021 at 2:54 am
Cullinan Management, Inc. (Nasdaq: CGEM), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing a diversified pipeline of targeted oncology and immuno-oncology therapies with transformative potential for ...
- Manchester City player's agent clarifies transfer situation amid Aston Villa replacement claimson January 10, 2021 at 1:08 pm
Aston Villa transfer news includes a look at Douglas Luiz's situation with recent reports claiming Manchester City could exercise their buy-back clause for midfielder ...
- Apple Fitness Plus: A light and casual exercise regimen, or full health club replacement?on January 8, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Your Watch SE got here on Christmas Eve. Jason Perlow: So I got you set up in your usual exercise area, our bar, with your iPad and your new Watch. What was the initial experience like?
- Contango HoldingsPLC - Exercise of Warrants - replacementon January 8, 2021 at 8:51 am
Contango Holdings Plc, the London listed natural resource development company, announces that it has received a notice to exercise warrants for 583,333 ordinary shares ("Ordinary Shares") for which ...
- What’s the Best Exercise for High Blood Pressure?on January 4, 2021 at 10:01 am
If you have or are at risk for high blood pressure, try an aerobic exercise like walking or jogging, to keep your heart rate up. The post What’s the Best Exercise for High Blood Pressure? appeared ...
- Exercise Plays Large Role in Recovery from Knee Replacement and the Occurrence of Osteoarthritison December 26, 2020 at 4:00 pm
2009;61(2):152-157, 174-18. Two new studies found that exercise may be a factor in recovering from a total knee replacement (total knee arthroplasty or TKA) and knee osteoarthritis (OA).
- Many people suffering from knee pain due to over-exercising after unlock phaseon December 24, 2020 at 1:34 am
Try these low-impact exercises instead Also, the ongoing winter season and colder temperatures have contributed to aggravating knee pain, said Dr Anand Jadhav, Joint Replacement & Arthroscopy ...
via Bing News