Overweight and obese adults are advised to exercise to improve their health, but more than 50 percent do not do so. New research to be presented at the 14th International Conference on Endothelin: Physiology, Pathophysiology and Therapeutics suggests that taking vitamin C supplements daily can have similar cardiovascular benefits as regular exercise in these adults.
The blood vessels of overweight and obese adults have elevated activity of the small vessel-constricting protein endothelin (ET)-1. Because of the high ET-1 activity, these vessels are more prone to constricting, becoming less responsive to blood flow demand and increasing risk of developing vascular disease.
Exercise has been shown to reduce ET-1 activity, but incorporating an exercise regimen into a daily routine can be challenging. This study, conducted at the University of Colorado, Boulder, examined whether vitamin C supplements, which have been reported to improve vessel function, can also lower ET-1 activity.
The researchers found that daily supplementation of vitamin C (500 mg/day, time-released) reduced ET-1-related vessel constriction as much as walking for exercise did. Vitamin C supplementation represents an effective lifestyle strategy for reducing ET-1-mediated vessel constriction in overweight and obese adults, the researchers wrote.
Read more: Vitamin C: The Exercise Replacement?
The Latest on: Exercise Replacement
via Google News
The Latest on: Exercise Replacement
- MBTA exercises option for 45 additional Xcelsior transit buseson January 27, 2021 at 8:34 am
The purchases are supported by a combination of state and federal funding from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) grants, executing on MBTA’s planned fleet replacement, expansion and greenhouse ...
- KemPharm Receives FDA Clearance to Initiate KP879 Clinical Program for the Treatment of Stimulant Use Disorderon January 27, 2021 at 5:42 am
Financial Restructuring and Nasdaq Re-Listing Process CompletedCELEBRATION, Fla., Jan. 27, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- KemPharm, Inc. (NASDAQ: ...
- Meet Amy Tinkler, Denise van Outen’s Dancing on Ice replacement and Olympic gymnaston January 27, 2021 at 5:28 am
The Olympic bronze medallist is a last minute addition to Dancing on Ice after Denise Van Outen pulled out of the competition due to an injury.
- Asides changing service chiefs, Northern elders urge Buhari to exercise leadership to tackle insecurityon January 27, 2021 at 2:07 am
Elders in the Northern part of the country on Wednesday said it was not enough for President Muhammadu Buhari to change the nation's service chiefs, but | ...
- New service chiefs not enough, exercise leadership, northern elders tell Buharion January 27, 2021 at 12:01 am
Kayode OyeroThe Northern Elders Forum says the appointment of new service chiefs is not enough to bring the needed change Nigerians expect to see in the country’s war against insurgency and ...
- Black woman quits Vermont town board; cites bigotry, safetyon January 26, 2021 at 6:25 pm
A Black member of a Vermont town’s selectboard has resigned, citing safety concerns and “blatant bigotry” she’s experienced in the community.
- Christie Brinkley Says a Total Hip Replacement Transformed Her Fitness Routine at 66on January 26, 2021 at 11:34 am
As Christie Brinkley nears her 67th birthday on Feb. 2, the model and actress is reflecting on how she’s been feeling. She says she’s “getting stronger every day,” but it took some time to find a ...
- MBTA exercises option for 45 additional 60 foot Xcelsior low-emission hybrid transit buses with advanced electric propulsion from BAE Systemson January 26, 2021 at 6:29 am
("NFI"), one of the world's leading independent global bus manufacturers, today announced that the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority ("MBTA") has exercised an option with New Flyer to ...
- Julie Payette is what happens when Justin Trudeau turns everything into a branding exerciseon January 24, 2021 at 11:04 pm
The position of governor-general is ranked higher than the PM in importance, but in practice it comes with no real power ...
- Sernova Announces Warrants Exercise for Proceeds of $4.3 Million and Early Conversion of Debentureon January 24, 2021 at 10:01 pm
Sernova Corp. (TSXV:SVA) (OTC:SEOVF) (FSE:PSH), a leading clinical-stage regenerative medicine therapeutics company is pleased to announce that in recent weeks it has received gross proceeds of $4.3 ...
via Bing News