An autonomous starfish-killing robot is close to being ready for trials on the Great Barrier Reef, researchers say.
Crown-of-thorns starfish have have been described as a significant threat to coral.
The Cotsbot robot, which has a vision system, is designed to seek out starfish and give them a lethal injection.
After it eradicates the bulk of starfish in a given area, human divers can move in and mop up the survivors.
Field trials of the robot have begun in Moreton Bay in Brisbane to refine its navigation system, Queensland University of of Technology researcher Matthew Dunbabin told the BBC.
There are no crown-of-thorns starfish in Moreton Bay but once the navigation has been refined, the robot will be unleashed on the reef.
“Later this month we begin deploying the robot in the Great Barrier Reef to evaluate our state-of-the-art vision-based crown-of-thorns starfish (COTS) detection system,” he said.
“Over the next five months we plan to progressively increase the level of autonomy the robot is allowed, leading to autonomous detection and injection of the starfish.”
The Latest on: Starfish-killing robot
[google_news title=”” keyword=”starfish-killing robot” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Starfish-killing robot
- His team is using artificial intelligence to help kill canceron November 23, 2023 at 3:00 am
A robotic arm developed by researchers at the University of Waterloo aims to help doctors more efficiently kill cancerous tumours ... the accuracy of the robot depends on the data used to ...
- A Chinese waitress who pretends to be a humanoid robot is dividing the interneton November 22, 2023 at 6:32 am
A restaurant owner in China who's also a professional dancer has gone viral with a video of her serving food using robotic movements.
- Robot Has Possibility to Kill Humans, Is It True?on November 12, 2023 at 12:02 am
Simply put, isolation will lead to a feeling of meaninglessness. Although it's said that robots can kill humans, there are some drawbacks to the presence of robots, such as the following. 1. The cost ...
- Robot Kills Man After Mistaking Him for Box of Vegetableson November 8, 2023 at 8:29 am
A robot meant to lift boxes at a pepper sorting plant in South Korea mistook a man for a box of vegetables and crushed him, according to the BBC, citing local media. The man, described as a ...
- Dont Kill My Robot Or My Loved One Will Die Crossword Clueon December 19, 2022 at 11:33 pm
For the word puzzle clue of dont kill my robot or my loved one will die, the Sporcle Puzzle Library found the following results. Explore more crossword clues and answers by clicking on the results or ...
- A robot is killing weeds by zapping them with electricityon June 9, 2021 at 8:53 am
LONDON - On a field in England, three robots have been given a mission ... If we want to go into this really precise weed killing system, we have to realize that there is an output reduction that is ...
- This luxury tower features COVID killing robots — Strictly Robotson September 27, 2020 at 5:00 pm
- 'Robo Recall' is a free VR game about killing robots as a robot and it's out nowon February 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm
- Banning "Killer Robots" Won't Stop Robots From Killingon November 13, 2016 at 4:00 am
Ask any bystander on the street what "killer robots" are and you'd probably hear something out of the "Terminator" series. The fear of autonomous machines killing humans is so ingrained in society ...
- The Lionfish Terminator: Researchers Built a Robot to Kill Invasive Specieson August 27, 2016 at 8:57 am
Equipped with a pair of telescoping electrodes, this robot would sneak up on the Lionfish ... But these predators are killing coral reef, and starving other species. Scientists argue that culling ...
via Bing News