A one-wheeled drone could solve several challenges of traditional and flying drone delivery
Drone delivery has been discussed, promised and tested frequently over the past three years, with most of the focus on quadcopter and similar flying drone methods. Challenges to that model include some dangers of unregulated air traffic and a restrictive weight limit for feasible flying. Transwheel, a design concept by industrial engineer Kobi Shikar, could solve both of those problems with a reconceptualization of the best drone model for the job.
Shikar’s idea replaces the flying drone with a self-stabilizing, self-driving unicycle. The chassis rests below the payload, carrying the package on its head like an old-world porter as it bears the delivery along roads and sidewalks to its destination. Long or heavy packages could be carried by multiple, linked drones operating in concert.
A Transwheel unit would use both GPS navigation and a suite of sensors to safely get a package to its destination. A camera unit would both detect nearby obstacles while in motion and interface with a facial recognition unit to identify the recipient of their delivery. Shikar asserts that the optics are sensitive enough to recognize whether a street light is red or green, though still expresses concerns about dealing with unexpected movements from cars or pedestrians. A related problem stems from Transwheel’s low profile and small size: it would be even more difficult to spot than a bicycle or motorcycle.
The Latest on: Delivery Drone
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Delivery Drone” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Delivery Drone
- Russia-Ukraine war live: mass drone attack on Crimea reported by Russian-installed officialson March 3, 2024 at 12:11 am
Unconfirmed reports and footage emerge of powerful explosions near Crimean port of Feodosia in the early hours of Sunday ...
- Drone Startup Skye Air Mobility Bags 10 Govt Contracts For Medical Supply Deliveryon March 1, 2024 at 12:36 pm
Skye Air Mobility has said it has bagged contracts from 10 government medical institutions to deploy its drone mobility solutions.
- Manna Drone Delivery Partners With Boojum, Expands To Blanchardstownon February 29, 2024 at 10:00 pm
The Drone Delivery Operator Is Now Ready To Take - And Deliver - Your Burrito Order DUBLIN, March 1, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Manna Drone Delivery, Europe's largest and most-advanced drone delivery ...
- 'World's largest' drone delivery service Manna is the future for delivery services in Irelandon February 29, 2024 at 4:00 pm
World's largest' drone delivery service Manna is the future for delivery services in Ireland The Irish drone delivery startup, Manna has seen huge success since its creation in 2018. CEO, Bobby Healy ...
- Testing prescription med delivery by drone on the Eastern Shoreon February 27, 2024 at 10:26 pm
“We have seen delays of three to six days for patients to be able to pick up medication." While experiments with medical drone delivery have been taking place in other parts of the country, this ...
- Plano updates zoning rules to allow drone delivery hubson February 27, 2024 at 8:00 pm
Plano City Council voted to allow drone delivery hubs outside businesses. Learn more about the decision and some of the companies hoping to pioneer this field.
- Walmart delivery drones will soon start flying in North Richland Hillson February 27, 2024 at 10:11 am
On Monday, North Richland Hills became the first Tarrant County city to allow drones to deliver groceries, medications and other items from Walmart stores at 6401 NE Loop 820 and 9101 North Tarrant ...
- Grocery drone delivery approved for 2 Walmarts in North Richland Hillson February 26, 2024 at 7:55 pm
The North Richland Hills City Council approved a recommendation for drone delivery service at two Walmart locations. Drone delivery is officially coming to Walmarts in North Richland Hills, marking ...
- Technologyon February 23, 2024 at 12:54 am
Part of the FAA certification involves exploring the potential environmental impacts of drone deliveries. Mabey believes that deliveries by air offer several advantages over delivery by cars or ...
- The world’s longest-range delivery drone could be coming to a suburb near you—but Uber Eats and Deliveroo drivers might be safe for nowon February 20, 2024 at 12:48 am
Aviant is trialing its biggest commercial operation yet, but long-held obstacles make the future of delivery drones uncertain.
via Bing News