A new smart research robot accelerates research on cancer treatments. The new robot system finds optimal treatment combinations.
Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group) is publishing an article about the robot, authored by Dr Mats Gustafsson, Professor of Medical Bioinformatics at Uppsala University.
Today complex diseases like cancer is medically almost exclusively treated by combining several different drugs. These combinations are typically composed from drugs that show effect on their own, but do not necessarily constitute the best possible combinations. The new robot system finds optimal treatment combinations and was developed by a research group led by Dr Mats Gustafsson, Professor of Medical Bioinformatics at Uppsala University.
‘We have built a robot system that plans and conducts experiments with many substances, and draws its own conclusions from the results. The idea is to gradually refine combinations of substances so that they kill cancer cells without harming healthy cells’, says Dr Claes Andersson, also a leading scientist in the project.
Instead of just combining a couple of substances at a time, the new lab robot has the ability to handle on the order of a dozen drugs simultaneously. The aim for the future is to be able to handle many more, preferably hundreds.
‘We are now one among the few laboratories in the world with this type of lab robot. However, so far researchers have only used the systems to look for combinations that kills the cancer cells, not taking the side effects into account’, says Mats Gustafsson.
The next step in the development is to make the robot system more automated and smarter. The current version still involves a few manual steps that could be automated. The scientists also want to build more prior knowledge into the guiding algorithm of the robot, for example, prior knowledge about drug targets and disease pathways.
For patients with the same cancer type returning multiple times, sometimes the cancer cells develop resistance against the pharmacotherapy used. The new robot systems may also become important in the efforts to find new drug compounds that make these resistant cells sensitive again.
Read more: New smart robot accelerates cancer research
The Latest on: Smart robot
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart robot
- Ecovacs Deebot Ozmo T8 AMR Robot Vacuum Cleaner Reviewon February 26, 2021 at 9:51 am
Recommendations are independently chosen by Reviewed’s editors. Purchases you make through our links may earn us a commission. Review body Ecovacs may not be a company you’ve ever heard of, but it’s ...
- Stäubli launches three new six-axis industrial robotson February 26, 2021 at 7:55 am
Stäubli is launching three new six-axis industrial robots for the medium payload range. The TX2-140, TX2-160 and TX2-160L extend the current TX2 generation and bring the total to nine models. The ...
- ‘Drunk’ robot vacuum cleaners are causing havoc in homeson February 26, 2021 at 5:06 am
Drunk' robot vacuum cleaners made by Roomba are running amuck in homes after a recent software update sent them out of control.
- Best robot lawn mowers 2021: 7 robotic mowers for an easy job on any budgeton February 26, 2021 at 4:18 am
The best robot mowers will ensure you keep on top of lawn maintenance without too much effort. See which ones we rate the highest for an easy mow ...
- Smart Robot Market Latest Industry Size, Share, Future Growth, Sales Revenue and Key Drivers Analysis Research Report 2026on February 26, 2021 at 12:02 am
The global “Smart Robot Market Size” is expected to rise with an impressive CAGR and generate the highest revenue by ...
- Hi, Robot: Japan's Android Pets Ease Virus Isolationon February 25, 2021 at 8:04 pm
But the adorable android -- first released in 2016 and only available in Japan -- does not come cheap, with regular models priced between $820 and $2,250. Charlie and Robohon are part of a new wave of ...
- PDM Keeps Smart Factory Robots on the Moveon February 25, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Computerworld covers a range of technology topics, with a focus on these core areas of IT: Windows, Mobile, Apple/enterprise, Office and productivity suites, collaboration, web browsers and blockchain ...
- Geek+ and myEnso partner to reshape the German food market with smart logistics robotson February 25, 2021 at 5:53 am
Geek+, a global AMR-leader, is pleased to announce that Geek+ has been selected by myEnso, a German-based pioneer in online grocery, to upgrade the company's DC for FMCG with a state-of-the-art ...
- Worldwide Robot Vacuum Cleaners Industry to 2026 - Growing Number of Smart Homes is Driving the Market - ResearchAndMarkets.comon February 25, 2021 at 1:30 am
The "Robot Vacuum Cleaners Market - Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 - 2026)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Toyota begins work on Japanese smart city: cars are banned and robots live in homeson February 24, 2021 at 4:39 am
Robots and self-driving cars will restock the fridge, take out the rubbish and remind residents to make doctor's visits.
via Bing News