A failsafe track switch designed to eradicate a 200-year-old problem on the railway has been created by engineers at Loughborough University.
The breakthrough technology known asRepoint is a robust and reliable points mechanism, which will improve safety, reduce maintenance costs and boost capacity on the railways.
Supported by the UK Rail Safety and Standards Board (RSSB), Repoint is the result of work carried out with industry experts into improved switches to override track switch failures which can lead to train derailment.
Using safety concepts derived from aerospace and the nuclear industry, Repoint corrects a failed switch through a patented arrangement of interlocking rail ends which incorporate a sliding arrangement similar to a breather switch. A lift and drop mechanism allows for expansion and provides an additional locking mechanism with virtually no friction losses.
The mechanism can also move the switch in fractions of a second compared to the current four seconds for conventional designs.
“Repoint is a robust alternative to conventional switches that breaks with 200 years of tradition to offer a change in design that is inherently failsafe and fit for a 21st century rail network,” he said.
“A standard switch takes around four seconds to move, during which time a train may have travelled a distance of 200 metres. Repoint’s ability to reduce this time to under a second improves rail capacity without the need to build new infrastructure. It also has the potential to deliver huge cost savings, and will result in a significant increase in reliability and safety to the rail industry worldwide.
The Latest on: Railway innovation
via Google News
The Latest on: Railway innovation
- Jennifer DeBruhl appointed director of Rail and Public Transportationon August 4, 2022 at 7:29 am
Jennifer DeBruhl has been appointed to director of the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation. DeBruhl had been serving as acting director of the agency since March.
- Science, Innovation dept envisions a solid hydrogen economy by 2050on August 4, 2022 at 12:07 am
South Africa’s Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) views hydrogen as a key enabler of decarbonisation, particularly in the transport sector – heavy-duty trucking, shipping, aviation, and rail – ...
- Kinston Railroad Commences Rail Operationson August 3, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Kinston Railroad (KNR), a wholly owned subsidiary of Jaguar Transport Holdings (Jaguar), began rail operations on Aug. 1. KNR acquired leasehold rights to approximately 6 miles of track owned by the N ...
- Hunan now a hotbed for innovation, tradeon August 2, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Zhang Qingwei, Party secretary of the province, said that Hunan will optimize its innovation methods, increase fundamental studies and attract international talent to make breakthroughs in core ...
- CRCC unit ramps up innovation in infrastructure projectson August 2, 2022 at 6:02 pm
BEIJING: Builders of China Railway 24th Bureau Group Corp Ltd (CR24), a unit of the state-owned China Railway Construction Corp (CRCC), are banking on in-house innovative solutions to tackle various ...
- Integrated, tech-driven rail industry needed to drive South Africa’s heavy haul sectoron August 2, 2022 at 8:17 am
To enable South Africa’s mining and resources sector to remain competitive, it is imperative the country pursues a safe, competitive, responsible, integrated and intelligent heavy haul system, powered ...
- CRCC unit ramps up innovation in projectson August 1, 2022 at 11:04 pm
Being a "tailor" for each of its infrastructure projects has become a key element leading to project success for his team, which calls for many innovative solutions covering all specific construction ...
- Rail Welding Machines Market Trends In 2022 : Growth, Size, Segmentation, Future Demands, Latest Innovation, Sales Revenue by Regional Forecast 2028on August 1, 2022 at 4:52 pm
Aug 01, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Rail Welding Machines Market" Insights 2022 By Types, Applications, Regions and Forecast to 2028. The global Rail ...
- Eastern Railway to facilitate startups with grant up to Rs 1.5 croreon August 1, 2022 at 7:18 am
Eastern Railway has invited NextGen innovators and emerging technologists to develop cost-effective solutions for addressing issues of railways.
- Standardization vs innovation in tech: The curious case of USB-Con July 30, 2022 at 8:30 am
After a decade of consultation and debate, on June 7, the European Union approved a directive requiring virtually all electronic devices sold in the EU be equipped by 2024 with a USB-C charging port; ...
via Bing News