With the world’s population expected to hit 9.1 billion by 2050, coupled with the growing effects of climate change on our ability to grow crops, a company out of Barcelona has proposed a solution to feeding the future world. Forward Thinking Architecture’s triple-decker Smart Floating Farms would feature 2.2 million square feet (2.04 sq km) of fish farm, hydroponic garden, and rooftop solar panels to power a floating barge, which could be anchored to the beds of oceans, lakes or rivers. The company estimates that each of its floating farms could produce about 8 tons (7.3 tonnes) of vegetables and 1.7 tons (1.5 tonnes) of fish per year.
The floating farms are intended to provide a solution that can keep up with food production levels that will have to increase by 70 percent globally, and 100 percent in developing nations, to feed more than 9 billion mouths. With so many people, arable land would be stretched to its growing capacity (we’re currently using 80 percent), while fresh water supplies would be severely stressed. Oceans are also being overfished at present.
The company’s idea to move farms onto the surface of water would address all those issues. Each level of the triple-decker farm would have its own function, and would operate as part of a sustainable loop that feeds into the other decks.
Skylights and solar panels on the top deck would convert sunlight into energy to power the farm. The middle level would consist of tiers of hydroponic organic crops that would maximize the limited space on the barge. Waste water from the crops would filter down to the fish farm level at the bottom as a food source.
The Latest on: Floating Farms
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Floating Farms” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Floating Farms
- DISTRIBUTECH attendees tour largest floating solar farm in the Southeaston February 26, 2024 at 1:37 pm
More than 40 DISTRIBUTECH International attendees got an up-close at the project, which in total includes just over 2,000 solar panels. There are 66 anchors all the way around the manmade pond to ...
- This is what happens when a wind farm comes to a coal townon February 26, 2024 at 6:49 am
Keyser in West Virginia represents a national shift in American energy production. And in a town that was defined by coal for generations, change can be difficult.
- Malaysian utility to build 2.5 GW of hybrid hydro-floating solaron February 25, 2024 at 11:44 pm
Tenaga Nasional Berhad, a Kuala Lumpur-based utility, says it plans to install floating solar farms at its hydropower facilities. It targeting 2.5 GW of capacity to support Malaysia’s National Energy ...
- Floating wind farm development in Celtic Sea offers economic boost for UKon February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
Floating wind farms in the Celtic Sea could create up to 5,300 new jobs and generate £1.4bn for the UK economy, a new study has found. The independent study, The Celtic Sea Blueprint, conducted by ...
- Shell extends retreat from floating offshore wind with SKorea exiton February 22, 2024 at 5:25 am
Shell will exit a South Korean floating offshore wind project, it said on Thursday, the energy firm's latest retreat from the nascent sector as it focuses on more profitable businesses.
- The huge economic potential of floating wind farms in the Celtic Seaon February 21, 2024 at 10:00 pm
Managing director, marine, for The Crown Estate, Gus Jaspert, on harnessing growth from new floating wind farms in the Celtic Sea.
- Flowers grown floating on polluted waterways can help clean up nutrient runoffon February 17, 2024 at 4:08 am
Flowers grown on inexpensive floating platforms can help clean polluted waterways, over 12 weeks extracting 52 percent more phosphorus and 36 percent more nitrogen than the natural nitrogen cycle ...
- Despite Native protests, federal officials finalize areas for floating offshore wind farms along Oregon Coaston February 14, 2024 at 4:47 pm
The federal government has finalized two areas for floating offshore wind farms along the Oregon coast, authorities announced Tuesday, bringing the state closer to commercially developing and ...
- Feds finalize areas for floating offshore wind farms along Oregon coaston February 13, 2024 at 6:46 pm
The federal government has finalized two areas for floating offshore wind farms along the Oregon coast PORTLAND, Ore. -- The federal government has finalized two areas for floating offshore wind ...
- Feds finalize areas for floating offshore wind farms along Oregon coaston February 13, 2024 at 6:13 pm
Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile The federal government has finalized two areas for floating offshore wind farms along the Oregon coast, authorities ...
via Bing News