With the world’s population expected to hit 9.1 billion by 2050, coupled with the growing effects of climate change on our ability to grow crops, a company out of Barcelona has proposed a solution to feeding the future world. Forward Thinking Architecture’s triple-decker Smart Floating Farms would feature 2.2 million square feet (2.04 sq km) of fish farm, hydroponic garden, and rooftop solar panels to power a floating barge, which could be anchored to the beds of oceans, lakes or rivers. The company estimates that each of its floating farms could produce about 8 tons (7.3 tonnes) of vegetables and 1.7 tons (1.5 tonnes) of fish per year.
The floating farms are intended to provide a solution that can keep up with food production levels that will have to increase by 70 percent globally, and 100 percent in developing nations, to feed more than 9 billion mouths. With so many people, arable land would be stretched to its growing capacity (we’re currently using 80 percent), while fresh water supplies would be severely stressed. Oceans are also being overfished at present.
The company’s idea to move farms onto the surface of water would address all those issues. Each level of the triple-decker farm would have its own function, and would operate as part of a sustainable loop that feeds into the other decks.
Skylights and solar panels on the top deck would convert sunlight into energy to power the farm. The middle level would consist of tiers of hydroponic organic crops that would maximize the limited space on the barge. Waste water from the crops would filter down to the fish farm level at the bottom as a food source.
The Latest on: Floating Farms
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Floating Farms” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Floating Farms
- Massive solar farm puts Summerside farther down the road to energy self-sufficiencyon December 8, 2023 at 2:00 am
Summerside, P.E.I., is now getting energy from a large solar farm that will eventually provide about 21 megawatts of energy, or about 25 per cent of the electricity it takes to run the city of 15,000 ...
- EU approves €4.12bn for two French floating wind farmson December 8, 2023 at 12:40 am
The European Commission has approved a €4.12bn scheme to support the rollout of two floating wind farms in France.
- Climate Lessons From the Floating Villages of Cambodiaon December 8, 2023 at 12:29 am
Discover the resilience of Mechrey, a floating village in Cambodia, where buildings adapt to changing water levels.
- Indonesia, Saudi Arabia to build floating solar plantson December 7, 2023 at 4:54 pm
Indonesia's state-owned electricity company PLN is partnering with Saudi Arabia's energy company, ACWA Power, to build two floating solar power plants on Lake Singkarak in West Sumatra and Saguling ...
- EU approves 4.12 bln euros French wind farm development schemeon December 7, 2023 at 6:50 am
The European Commission approved on Thursday a French government scheme worth 4.12 billion euros ($4.4 billion) to support more wind energy projects in the country.
- Japanese energy giant joins floating offshore wind project in Norwayon December 7, 2023 at 6:33 am
The project can add 320 GWh of renewable energy to the Hammerfest region. The park is planned to be in operation in 2027 so that the experience can be used further in Norway's floating offshore wind ...
- Three Commercial-scale Floating Wind Projects to be Developed in the Celtic Seaon December 7, 2023 at 5:46 am
The Crown Estate has released additional information about Round 5 of its offshore wind leasing competition, presenting the chance to develop three ...
- Crown Estate sets out details for 4.5GW of new floating wind farmson December 7, 2023 at 5:00 am
Under the new leasing round, three floating wind farms will have the potential to provide renewable energy to more than four million homes ...
- Floating wind farms off the coast of Wales and the South West set to power more than 4 million homeson December 7, 2023 at 4:30 am
The organisation, which manages the seabed around England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, said the leasing for three commercial-scale floating wind projects in the Celtic Sea off the coast of South ...
- UAE invests in UK’s struggling wind farm marketon December 5, 2023 at 6:58 am
Story continues Off the coast of Scotland, Masdar has also developed the world’s first floating offshore wind farm, the 30MW Hywind project. Masdar is chaired by Dr Sultan Al-Jaber, the UAE Minister ...
via Bing News