Making diesel out of thin air sounds like something from science fiction.
But small companies in Germany and Canada are doing precisely this – capturing carbon dioxide (CO2) and finding ways to sell it.
German company Sunfire produced its first batches of so-called e-diesel in April. Federal Minister of Education and Research, Johanna Wanka, put a few litres in her car, to celebrate.
And the Canadian company Carbon Engineering has just built a pilot plant to suck one to two tonnes of carbon dioxide from the air daily, turning it into 500 litres of diesel.
The process requires electricity, but if the start-ups use renewable electricity they can produce diesel that is carbon neutral.
In other words, burning it in your car only returns to the atmosphere the CO2 removed in the first place.
Fossil fuels, on the other hand, add to the total amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
And halting the growth of CO2 and other greenhouse gases has become of paramount importance given the many threats posed by climate change.
The concentration of CO2 in the air reached 400 parts per million in 2012-2013 – the highest since scientific measurements began. And the year July 2014-June 2015 was the warmest on record, says the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
The chemistry to make fuel from CO2 isn’t especially hard – split water into hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis, add the hydrogen to CO2 to make carbon monoxide and water, then bung in more hydrogen to build up hydrocarbon chains.
This last bit’s called the Fischer-Tropsch process, and dates back to the 1920s.
But it’s the technologies capturing the CO2 straight from the air that are new and now becoming cheap enough to be viable.
The biggest technological challenges have centred on the high-temperature furnaces, says Adrian Corless, chief executive of Carbon Engineering.
The Latest on: Diesel made from air
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Diesel made from air” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Diesel made from air
- Alco C420 diesel locomotiveon September 28, 2023 at 11:14 am
A medium horsepower design, railroads throughout the Northeast and Southeast found them useful additions to their rosters.
- Diesel engines: four strokes and twoon September 27, 2023 at 12:04 pm
What’s the difference between a four-stroke diesel engine and a two-stroke engine ... scavenge the cylinder of burned gases and recharge with new air in about 1/50th of a second. To make such an ...
- REVIEW and VIDEO: 2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate Duramax Dieselon September 26, 2023 at 1:01 pm
As you walk around the refined exterior in Titanium Rush, you see the big GMC grill, which is unique to the Ultimate, tow hooks, LED headlights, tail lights, and fog lamps, 22" wheels, and dual ...
- The Reason Why Diesel Engines Don't Use Spark Plugson September 25, 2023 at 10:45 am
Diesel engines differ from gasoline engines in several ways, but one of the clearest differences is the lack of spark plugs in diesel engines.
- To Blow Up Warships And Headquarters In Crimea, Ukraine First Had To Roll Back Russia’s Air-Defenseson September 22, 2023 at 7:06 pm
How Ukrainian forces rolled back Russian air-defenses in Crimea is a matter of conjecture. That they did so is indisputable fact.
- How air pollution is making life tougher for bugson September 22, 2023 at 9:21 am
Whether you love them or loathe them, we all depend on bugs. Insects help to pollinate three-quarters of the world's crop varieties, making them a treasured resource.
- Russia's indefinite ban on diesel exports threatens to aggravate a global shortageon September 22, 2023 at 5:23 am
Market participants are concerned Russia's decision to tighten oil supplies could cause problems for the world's refiners.
- For kids with asthma, diesel buses chart a dangerous route back to school | Opinionon September 22, 2023 at 4:09 am
This year, my daughter is entering 9th grade and taking the bus alone to her new high school Aside from the usual feelings parents have during back-to-school season, especially in a year when my child ...
- Banning trucks running on diesel, natural gas recklesson September 22, 2023 at 1:31 am
Don’t let “the perfect” get in the way of the good. That is important to remember when it comes to improving air quality.
- Volvo to phase out production of diesel cars by early 2024on September 20, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Volvo has announced that it will phase out production of diesel-powered cars by early 2024 at Climate Week NYC.
via Bing News