Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- NeXR Technologies SE and H&Mbeyond. Start Cooperation on Virtual Fittingon January 21, 2021 at 12:44 am
NeXR Technologies SE (XETRA: NXR) takes further steps in the development of innovation for stationary retail and enters into a groundbreaking cooperation with H&Mbeyond. The aim of the cooperation is ...
- Gibson Reveals New 2021 Line-up And Virtual NAMM Experienceon January 20, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Gibson has been synonymous with creating and shaping sound. With instruments that inspire Gibson’s legendary artists and nurture new players across every generation and genre of music, Gibson has ...
- University of Toronto prof uses virtual reality to beam engineering lab into students’ homeson January 20, 2021 at 3:03 pm
For more than 70 years, the Unit Ops Lab at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering has been a cornerstone for undergraduate training in chemical engineering.
- U of T prof uses virtual reality to beam engineering lab into students' homeson January 20, 2021 at 1:22 pm
The Unit Ops Lab, a key part of U of T's undergraduate training in chemical engineering, is now accessible to students who are studying remotely via VR and 3D simulations (image courtesy of Faculty of ...
- The Best Virtual Gifts for Valentine’s Dayon January 20, 2021 at 11:59 am
Murray’s Cheese does virtual events year-round, but for Valentine’s Day, it’s offering three special couples classes: cheese-board-making, wine-and-cheese pairing, and what it’s dubbed “the most ...
- Horizen Labs' co-founder says CBDCs could raise Bitcoin awarenesson January 19, 2021 at 2:13 pm
I believe the collective awareness of censorship - among many other variables - bodes well for the future of cryptocurrency,” Horizen Labs' co-founder said.
- Virtual reality makes unique chemical engineering lab accessible from homeon January 19, 2021 at 11:41 am
For more than 70 years, the Unit Ops Lab has been a cornerstone for undergraduate training in chemical engineering. Now, Professor Ariel Chan (ChemE) is using virtual reality and 3D simulations to ...
- Virtual Reality: A ‘Just-In-Time' Technology for a COVID Worldon January 19, 2021 at 7:08 am
Serious Labs’ mission of revolutionizing the way people learn with VR simulators is right in line with COVID’s ever-present consequence of change.
- Global Virtual Science Laboratories Market 2020 Industry Statistics on Key Trends, Growth and Opportunities to 2025on January 19, 2021 at 3:00 am
MarketsandResearch.biz has recently added a new study titled Global Virtual Science Laboratories Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025. The report delivers a set of ...
- Staying Curious with the Harvard Innovation Labs Ahead of the 2021 Virtual President’s Innovation Challengeon January 13, 2021 at 6:16 am
The President’s Innovation Challenge (PIC) is a call to action for Harvard students and alumni pursuing ventures that push the boundaries of their fields. We have five total tracks and three student ...
via Bing News