Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- Exer Urgent Care Offers Virtual Line For Patientson January 27, 2021 at 7:03 am
Exer Urgent Care is now offering a virtual line so patients can access medical help from the comfort and safety of their own homes.
- Education Lab: What lifting the stay-at-home order means for Fresno-area schoolson January 26, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Gavin Newsom lifted a regional stay-at-home order Monday for the San Joaquin Valley. The move was seen as good news for restaurants and hairstylists. But, for Fresno’s largest schools, not much will ...
- Lighthouse Labs' 10th cohort is gearing up to be its most diverse yeton January 26, 2021 at 9:17 am
Seventy-five percent of Lighthouse Labs' spring cohort applications included a founder or founders who identified as underrepresented. Those groups include female, BIPOC, LGBTQA+, veteran and founder ...
- Empowering Laboratory Professionals on Quality Management Systems during the Training of Trainerson January 26, 2021 at 3:13 am
Port Louis - Thirty-two laboratory professionals responsible in the establishment and implementation of Quality Management System (QMS) have been trained during a five-day training workshop prior to ...
- IMVU. Inc Accelerates Growth With $35M+ Investment From Structural Capital, NetEase, And Others, Relaunches As Together Labson January 25, 2021 at 10:08 pm
IMVU Inc. announced a strategic round of investment of more than $35 million from Structural Capital, NetEase inc, one of China’s leading internet and online game services providers, and other ...
- IMVU relaunches as Together Labs, raises $35 millionon January 25, 2021 at 2:00 pm
IMVU has relaunched as Together Labs and raised $35 million. The company is also launching WithMe to target user-generated content.
- Practice Labs named in Training Industry's 2021 Watch List of Experiential Learning Tech Companieson January 25, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Experiential learning technologies allow learners to build their knowledge and skills through hands-on experience using supportive ...
- Security Compass Launches Hands-On Training Lab to Enhance Developer Skills and Application Security Programson January 25, 2021 at 10:00 am
Security Compass has launched its new hands-on Virtual Lab, providing training for developers to expand their knowledge of common vulnerabilities.
- Virtual 360 Tour of NIU Engineering Labs Now Availableon January 22, 2021 at 6:04 am
The college released a virtual 360-degree interactive tour through its three buildings where viewers can virtually stroll through the halls, in and out of the classrooms, and get a close up look at ...
- Frontier Development Lab 2020: Scientific Breakthroughs in an Intense Virtual Social Experimenton January 21, 2021 at 8:43 am
Frontier Development Lab (FDL) continued to demonstrate Machine Learning's potential for scientific process and discovery and new paradigms of engineering, from predicting GPS scintillation to ...
via Bing News