Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- KB Home and Well Living Lab Unveil 'Healthy Living' Concept Homeon February 26, 2021 at 10:31 am
KB Home and the Well Living Lab, a research lab founded by Delos and Mayo Clinic, have launched the first phase of its multiyear research project with the unveiling of a concept home designed to ...
- Eye Tracking Devices Market to See Huge Growth by 2026 | Pupil Labs, Smart Eye, Seeing Machines, Gazepointon February 26, 2021 at 10:14 am
HTF MI introduce new research on Global Eye Tracking Devices covering micro level of analysis by competitors and ...
- Praxis Labs Raises $3.2M in Seed Fundingon February 26, 2021 at 7:54 am
Praxis Labs, a New York-based maker of a virtual reality-based diversity and inclusion learning platform, raised $3.2m in seed funding ...
- Virtual Reality In Healthcare Market Growth, Trends And Forecast | By Kenneth Researchon February 26, 2021 at 7:32 am
The report covers the forecast and analysis of the virtual reality in healthcare market on a global and regional level.
- Lustgarten Foundation hosting virtual walk benefiting pancreatic cancer researchon February 26, 2021 at 3:05 am
Boca Raton Virtual Pancreatic Cancer Research Run/Walk is happening Sunday, Feb. 28. 100% of the money raised will fund life saving pancreatic cancer research.
- Cresco Labs Announces Upcoming Investor Conference Participationon February 25, 2021 at 4:48 am
Cresco Labs (CSE:CL) (OTCQX:CRLBF) ("Cresco" or the "Company"), one of the largest vertically integrated multistate cannabis operators in the United States, announced today its participation in the ...
- How Virtual Labs Are Inspiring the Next Generation of Scientistson February 23, 2021 at 10:25 am
Founder of Labster, joins 'Cheddar Reveals' to discuss how its working with over 2,000 colleges, universities, and high schools around the world to create interactive virtual science labs.
- NIU offers virtual learning lab for renewable energy experimentson February 23, 2021 at 8:18 am
Northern Illinois University is wrapping up a four-year project this May designed to inspire the next generation of engineers and scientists to work in the field of renewable energy. Through an ...
- Praxis Labs Launches Virtual Reality-Based Diversity and Inclusion Learning Platformon February 22, 2021 at 4:01 am
Praxis Labs today announced the launch of its virtual reality-based (VR) diversity and inclusion (D&I) learning platform and flagship curriculum, Pivotal Experiences™, designed to redefine work ...
- Elise Smith, CEO Of Praxis Labs, Raises $3.2 Million In Venture Capital To Help Bring Forth More Conscious Leaders Using Virtual Realityon February 22, 2021 at 3:30 am
Elise Smith, Cofounder and CEO of Praxis Labs, is bringing a game-changing opportunity to corporate America, allowing employees and leaders to change their perspectives over time by virtually stepping ...
via Bing News