Modern science as a photorealistic online game
A virtual laboratory allows, for the first time, to actively engage with topical quantum physics. The novel learning environment was developed at the Faculty of Physics at the University of Vienna in collaboration with university and high-school students. In time for the start of the new term, the virtual quantum lab is freely available online (http://interactive.quantumnano.at). The new teaching concept has been published in the journal “Scientific Reports”.
Modern science for all
Topical research experiments are often too expensive or too complex to be rebuilt and incorporated in teaching. How can one, nevertheless, make modern science accessible to the public? This challenge was tackled in the research group Quantum Nanophysics led by Markus Arndt at the University of Vienna. For the first time, two research laboratories were created as complete, photorealistic computer simulations allowing university and high-school students as well as the general public to virtually access unique instruments. “One could describe it as a flight simulator of quantum physics”, says Mathias Tomandl who designed and implemented the essential elements of the simulation in the course of his PhD studies.
Discovering the quantum world – step by step
A learning path guides the visitors of the virtual quantum lab through the world of delocalized complex molecules. A series of lab tasks and essential background information on the experiments enable the visitors to gradually immerse into the quantum world. The engaging software was developed together with university and high-school students and was fine-tuned by periodic didactic input. The teaching concept and the accompanying studies have now been published in the renowned scientific journal “Scientific Reports”.
Wave-particle dualism with large molecules
The virtual laboratories provide an insight into the fundamental understanding and into the applications of quantum mechanics with macromolecules and nanoparticles. In recent years, the real-life versions of the experiments verified the wave-particle dualism with the most complex molecules to date. Now, everyone can conduct these experiments in the virtual lab for the first time.
Read more: A quantum lab for everyone
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
via Google News
The Latest on: Virtual laboratories
- Binance Labs Leads Funding Round for Lifeform to Support Digital Citizenshipon August 7, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Binance Labs led the seed funding round of Lifeform, which is described as "a disruptive decentralized visual digital identity (DID) solution provider." ...
- Virginia State, Virginia Union universities intend to open lab schoolson August 7, 2022 at 2:00 am
Details are scant. Leaders from the universities can't say yet where the schools will be built, how many students will populate them or who will teach the classes.
- FTC's trustbusting turn now (virtual) realityon August 4, 2022 at 8:00 pm
The government alleges that Meta is “already a key player at each level of the virtual reality sector.” Meta is fighting back, saying the agency’s suit is “based on ideology and speculation, not ...
- Design LAB: Grade school students learn to be architects and 'push past their own limits'on August 4, 2022 at 7:00 pm
That’s the kind of playful thinking behind the “learning spaces” that Cincinnati students pitched this year in Design LAB: Learn and Build, a grade school program helmed by the Architectural ...
- What is Yuga Labs’ Otherside? Inside the Bored Ape Yacht Club Metaverseon August 4, 2022 at 5:00 am
The creators of Bored Ape Yacht Club are behind ApeCoin-powered metaverse platform Otherside. Here’s how it works.
- This Oculus Quest 2 rival could beat Meta's Reality Labs to VR eye-trackingon August 4, 2022 at 3:03 am
The Oculus Quest 2 might be the first name you think of when you talk about virtual reality — but Meta's Reality Labs, formerly called Facebook and Oculus respectively, isn't the only name in the game ...
- Indy firm launches virtual-reality-focused effort to fill talent pipelineon August 3, 2022 at 8:52 pm
VisionThree's $80 million effort aims to place virtual-reality career labs in every high school, community college and university in Indiana by 2025.
- How Yuga Labs hopes to get to the metaverse first with Othersideon August 3, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Interested in learning what's next for the gaming industry? Join gaming executives to discuss emerging parts of the industry this October at GamesBeat Summit Next. Register today. Yuga Labs has ...
- Virtual Science Laboratories Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth 2022 to 2028 | Size, Share, Demand Analysison August 2, 2022 at 5:00 pm
In the forecast period of 2022-2028, the Global “Virtual Science Laboratories Market” is expected to grow at a steady rate, according to the Virtual Science Laboratories Market report ...
- AO Labs raises $4.5M for its Spacebar community-driven Web3 gaming platformon August 2, 2022 at 1:30 pm
AO Labs has raised $4.5M for its Spacebar community-driven Web3 gaming platform. Its backers are a who's who of Web3 gaming.
via Bing News