Researchers discovered a mechanism that stops the body reacting with an excessive immune reaction. This could be the basis for a new treatment.
Most people with allergies have to take medication throughout their life: Their body “thinks” that proteins from the environment are so “strange” that they elicit an immune reaction. Until present, it was not possible to develop an efficient therapy so that the body “learns” to stop in an overreacting way.
Scientists from the Swiss Institute of Allergy and Asthma Research (SIAF) in Davos, from the University of Tokyo, the RIKEN Research Institute in Yokohoma, and from Stanford University recently discovered a mechanism that could be the basis for a new way to handle allergies.
Mast cells play a key role in the disease process in allergies: As a reaction towards an allergen – for example pollen or dust mites – they release big amounts of substances that initiate an inflammatory process. Study leader Hideaki Morita and his team discovered that mast cells are not only “bad guys”, but also have a “good side” (see figure): They release the substance interleukin-2 that induces the production of certain immune cells called T-regulatory (Treg) cells. Treg cells can suppress the allergic inflammatory process in the airways induced by interleukin-10.
It is already known for some time that Treg cells can subdue an excessive immune response and the resulting inflammation. For example, injections with Treg cells prevented autoimmune diseases in mice. However, for Treg cell treatments one needs a large amount of these cells, which is not easy to realise. In the blood, there are just a few of them, and in vitro they are difficult to produce. Using mast cells, Treg cells could be easily produced in the laboratory in large quantities.
“The mechanism that we discovered, could be the basis for a new way to handle allergies,” says Hideaki Morita.
Read more: A possible cure for allergies
The Latest on: Cure for allergies
via Google News
The Latest on: Cure for allergies
- Dogs With Allergies: These are 10 breeds of adorable dog likely to develop allergies to food, dust and pollen - including the loving Labradoron August 1, 2022 at 3:12 am
Prospective dog breed owners should be aware that their beloved pet may be predisposed to developing a range of allergies.
- Health column: Anovia Health introduces new allergy treatmenton July 28, 2022 at 1:14 pm
Though there are 50-60 million allergy sufferers in the U.S., only a fraction receive treatment that can change the underlying disease. Instead, most ...
- Revelation Biosciences Inc. Announces Topline Data for Phase 1b CLEAR Clinical Study of REVTx-99b for the Treatment of Allergic Rhinitison July 24, 2022 at 8:18 am
This includes no reduction in allergy symptoms (Total Nasal Symptom ... received study drug after the nasal allergen challenge (the treatment cohort). The Phase 1b, randomized, double-blind ...
- Once A Cancer Company, Silverback Merges With Small Biotech Working On Allergy Treatmenton July 22, 2022 at 3:54 am
ARS Pharmaceuticals Inc will merge with Silverback Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SBTX) in an all-stock transaction, with a new entity operating under the ARS Pharmaceuticals name and trade on NASDAQ under ...
- LabCorp (LH) to Offer New Test Report for Venom Allergy Testingon July 20, 2022 at 9:41 am
LabCorp's (LH) newly-launched interpretative venom allergy report will inform enhanced treatment decisions in case of venomous insect stings.
- Fresno eye doctor offers new light treatment for dry eye diseaseon July 19, 2022 at 5:50 pm
A Fresno eye doctor is the first in the Valley to offer a groundbreaking light-based treatment for dry eye disease.
- Libra Daily Health Horoscope for July 20: Get treatment for your allergieson July 19, 2022 at 11:07 am
According to your health horoscope for today, Libra’s health will need attention today due to which you will just want to rest at home today. You will have to focus on your health due to stomach ...
- House Dust Mite Allergy Treatment Market to Reach $5.2 Billion, Globally, by 2031 at 13.4% CAGR: Allied Market Researchon July 18, 2022 at 5:53 am
PORTLAND, Ore., July 18, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Allied Market Research published a report, titled, "House Dust Mite Allergy Treatment Market by Treatment (Antihistamine, Immunotherapy, Other), by ...
- Allergy Treatment Market Research Analysis, Scope, Market Share, Leading Companies and Competitive Landscape 2027on July 17, 2022 at 4:59 pm
Allergy Treatment Market Is Expected To Reach USD 20.76 Billion By 2027 At A CAGR Of 7.7 percent. Maximize Market Research has published a report on the Allergy Treatment Market that provides a ...
- Allergy Treatment Market 2017 By Emerging Trends, Industry Share, Regional Overview and SWOT Analysis till 2025on July 12, 2022 at 12:26 am
These substances are known as allergens in the environment. The global allergy treatment market is likely to be driven by the growing need to meet the huge unmet demand in developing parts of ...
via Bing News