Researchers discovered a mechanism that stops the body reacting with an excessive immune reaction. This could be the basis for a new treatment.
Most people with allergies have to take medication throughout their life: Their body “thinks” that proteins from the environment are so “strange” that they elicit an immune reaction. Until present, it was not possible to develop an efficient therapy so that the body “learns” to stop in an overreacting way.
Scientists from the Swiss Institute of Allergy and Asthma Research (SIAF) in Davos, from the University of Tokyo, the RIKEN Research Institute in Yokohoma, and from Stanford University recently discovered a mechanism that could be the basis for a new way to handle allergies.
Mast cells play a key role in the disease process in allergies: As a reaction towards an allergen – for example pollen or dust mites – they release big amounts of substances that initiate an inflammatory process. Study leader Hideaki Morita and his team discovered that mast cells are not only “bad guys”, but also have a “good side” (see figure): They release the substance interleukin-2 that induces the production of certain immune cells called T-regulatory (Treg) cells. Treg cells can suppress the allergic inflammatory process in the airways induced by interleukin-10.
It is already known for some time that Treg cells can subdue an excessive immune response and the resulting inflammation. For example, injections with Treg cells prevented autoimmune diseases in mice. However, for Treg cell treatments one needs a large amount of these cells, which is not easy to realise. In the blood, there are just a few of them, and in vitro they are difficult to produce. Using mast cells, Treg cells could be easily produced in the laboratory in large quantities.
“The mechanism that we discovered, could be the basis for a new way to handle allergies,” says Hideaki Morita.
Read more: A possible cure for allergies
The Latest on: Cure for allergies
via Google News
The Latest on: Cure for allergies
- Global Allergy Diagnostics Market Research by Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026on March 5, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Selbyville, Delaware, Global Allergy Diagnostics Market Report added at Market Study Report LLC offers industry size, share, growth, trends and forecast analysis up to 2026. Global Allergy Diagnostics ...
- The Best Humidifiers for Allergies, According to Customer Reviewson March 5, 2021 at 4:35 am
Humidifiers add moisture back into the air. More specifically, they work by releasing water vapors and steam into the air, which helps increase humidity levels and mitigate breathing issues ...
- When will allergy season peak in 2021? An allergy forecaston March 5, 2021 at 1:20 am
New research suggests that climate change is now causing allergy season to last longer. Spring is creeping up fast in the United States, and that means warmer weather is on the horizon after a rough ...
- Ocular Therapeutix™ Announces FDA Acceptance of Supplemental New Drug Application for DEXTENZA® (dexamethasone ophthalmic insert) for the Treatment of Ocular Itching ...on March 4, 2021 at 6:01 pm
Ocular Therapeutix, Inc. (Nasdaq: OCUL), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the formulation, development, and commercialization of innovative ther ...
- Forehead-worn device could improve jaundice treatment for babieson March 4, 2021 at 5:30 am
According to Japan's Yokohama National University, jaundice occurs in 60 to 80 percent of all newborn babies, and can result in brain damage or even death if left unchecked. That's why they've ...
- HIV findings in DR Congo 'give hope for cure'on March 2, 2021 at 11:27 am
The discovery of a large group of people who control HIV without taking medication is leading to hopes of an eventual cure, scientists say. The study found as many as 4% of HIV carriers in the ...
- Thirty Madison launches direct-to-consumer health brand for allergieson March 1, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Thirty Madison launched a new telehealth brand for people with seasonal allergies. It’s the latest addition to the company’s growing list of direct-to-consumer brands, which include hair loss, ...
- Allergy season is around the corner – here are remedies that can helpon March 1, 2021 at 7:45 am
Wellness expert Kyle Buchanan drops by The Morning Show to share some tips and effective remedies to battle the upcoming allergy season.
- Regeneron Antibody Therapy For Cat-Allergic Asthma Patients Shows Positive Resultson March 1, 2021 at 12:31 am
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals released positive Phase 2 trial results, which showed that a single dose of of its investigational antibody cocktail therapy prevented early asthma reactions in cat-allergic ...
- Global Food Allergy Diagnosis and Treatment Market 2020 Key Segments and Sub-Segments, Key Drivers, Restraints, Opportunities and Challenges by 2025on February 28, 2021 at 4:48 am
Global Food Allergy Diagnosis and Treatment Market 2020 by Company, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 is the latest excellent and defined market research report which provides detailed ...
via Bing News