Researchers at the University of Montreal have developed techniques that enable computer cursors to interact in 3D in single or multiuser, local or remote collaboration scenarios.
This isn’t a gimmicky rebirth of the cursor, it’s about rethinking how humans interact with computers as part of the creative process,” Dorta said.
The system, unveiled today at the SIGGRAPH 2015 Conference in Los Angeles, is not so much about turning Word into an IMAX experience as offering designers an opportunity to navigate through and modify their creations manipulating 3D objects with 3D interactions. “Our new technology challenges the notion of what a cursor is and does,” explained lead researcher Professor Tomás Dorta, of the university’s School of Design. “The cursor becomes a drawing and controlling plane”. The techniques we’re unveiling today involves using a tablet to control the cursor, but as it does not necessarily rely on external tracking of the user’s movements, eventually other devices could be used, such as smart phones or watches.”
What does control plane mean? “We use a Butterfly-net analogy to explain how the cursor selects objects in space – the users simply sweep the 3D cursors through,” Dorta said. “For the manipulations of objects, the users can use gestures and movements such as pinching and tilting.” The cursor is in fact being demonstrated within the researchers’ Hyve-3D design system, a full scale immersive 3D environment that enables users to create drawings on hand-held tablets, which can then be manipulated on the tablets to create a 3D design within the space. As the designers are immersed in their work, for example designing a living room, they can test different furniture options according to the scale and even work on the interior detailing. The immersive images are the result of an optical illusion created by a high-resolution projector, a specially designed 5m-diameter spherically concave fabric screen and a dome mirror projecting the image onto the screen. Specialized techniques render the 3D scene onto a spherical projection in real-time.
The Latest on: 3D environment
via Google News
The Latest on: 3D environment
- Best 3D printer in 2021on March 5, 2021 at 1:06 am
Which 3D printer is right for your business? We've evaluated the offerings of leading printers, all capable of creating 3D objects, but with a wide range of characteristics. If you're in the market ...
- Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Energy - KOTRA Open the Nation's First 3D & VR Smart Home Cyber Exhibitionon March 3, 2021 at 10:26 pm
The K-SmartHome Virtual Exhibition, which presents solutions and home appliances from small and medium-sized companies in Korea related to smart homes, is officially opening on February 17, 2021. In ...
- Global 3D Metrology Markets Report 2021: 2019-2020 Data, Estimates for 2022 and CAGR Projections through 2025on March 3, 2021 at 5:17 am
Global Markets" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. This report covers the market for 3D metrology with regard to its applications across different regions. It also focuses on ...
- 3D Systems Corp (DDD) Q4 2020 Earnings Call Transcripton March 2, 2021 at 12:30 pm
Q4 2020 Earnings CallMar 2, 2021, 8:30 a.m. ETContents: Prepared Remarks Questions and Answers Call Participants Prepared Remarks: OperatorGood afternoon, and welcome to the 3D Systems Conference ...
- 3D bioprinting of tissue-specific osteoblasts and endothelial cells to model the human jawboneon March 1, 2021 at 4:58 am
Over the past decades, tissue engineering has made astounding progress in developing physiological models of human tissues with ever-growing sophistication and complexity. Particularly 3D bioprinting, ...
- 3D printing, additive manufacturing sector arms up to scaleon February 28, 2021 at 3:28 pm
D printing startups are going public via SPACs and raising funds to compete with incumbents. Here's the short version, additive manufacturing is entering a new, more mature phase.
- The 3DS Games That Actually Utilized 3D Wellon February 27, 2021 at 10:02 am
Many continue to write off 3DS' glasses-free 3D technology, but these games showed how, when enabled, it could make playing them even better.
- Review: ‘Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury’ hints at a new direction for franchiseon February 26, 2021 at 2:14 am
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury” are both experimental Mario games that show where the franchise can go after the brilliant “Super Mario Odyssey.” ...
- 3D Cell Culture Market 2021 : Business Status by Top Key Companies, Market Size, Growth and Geographical Forecast Till 2026 with Top Countries Dataon February 23, 2021 at 10:22 pm
According to 360 Research Reports, the “3D Cell Culture Market" 2021 by Types (Scaffold-Based, Scaffold Free), ...
- ZTE announces second-generation under-screen camera and first under-screen 3D recognitionon February 23, 2021 at 9:40 pm
A number of corporations have been taking part in with the thought for a while, though the first to launch a terminal with the camera beneath the display screen was ZTE, within the ZTE Axon 20 5G.
via Bing News