There are no magic bullets for global energy needs. But fuel cells in which electrical energy is harnessed directly from live, self-sustaining chemical reactions promise cheaper alternatives to fossil fuels.
To facilitate faster energy conversion in these cells, scientists disperse nanoparticles made from special metals called ‘noble’ metals, for example gold, silver and platinum along the surface of an electrode. These metals are not as chemically responsive as other metals at the macroscale but their atoms become more responsive at the nanoscale. Nanoparticles made from these metals act as a catalyst, enhancing the rate of the necessary chemical reaction that liberates electrons from the fuel. While the nanoparticles are being sputtered onto the electrode they squash together like putty, forming larger clusters. This compacting tendency, called sintering, reduces the overall surface area available to molecules of the fuel to interact with the catalytic nanoparticles, thus preventing them from realizing their full potential in these fuel cells.
Research by the Nanoparticles by Design Unit at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST), in collaboration with the SLAC National Laboratory in the USA and the Austrian Centre for Electron Microscopy and Nanoanalysis, has developed a way to prevent noble metal nanoparticles from compacting, by encapsulating them individually inside a porous shell made of a metal oxide. The OIST researchers published their findings in Nanoscale. Their work has immediate applications in the field of nano-catalysis for the manufacturing of more efficient fuel cells.
The OIST researchers designed a novel system.
Read more: Pouring Fire on Fuels at the Nanoscale
The Latest on: Fuelcells
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Fuelcells” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Fuelcells
- Energy Storage and Renewable Energy Technologies: Spotlight on Innovations in the Global Marketon February 22, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Key Highlights of the Research Publication: In-depth exploration of energy storage technologies such as next-generation batteries, fuel cells, and other advanced systems that promise to enhance grid ...
- Panel: Washington County State of the Economy explores impacts of ARCH2 projectson February 22, 2024 at 3:28 pm
In a panel discussion at the Washington County State of the Economy event on Thursday morning, experts involved with the Appalachian Regional Clean Hydrogen Hub discussed the long-term impacts of the ...
- 3 Hydrogen Stocks to Turn $100,000 into $1 million: February 2024on February 22, 2024 at 2:44 pm
These 3 hydrogen stocks have maintained their long-term value proposition and investors allocating money now could reap juicy returns.More From InvestorPlace ChatGPT IPO Could Shock the World, Make ...
- 10 Companies Deeply Invested In Hydrogen Fuel Cell Systemson February 22, 2024 at 7:00 am
Hydrogen fuel cells are rapidly becoming a larger piece of an electrified future, and these 10 companies are at the front of it.
- Innovations Shaping The Future Of Metal Plates and Assemblies for Fuel Cells Market Dynamicson February 22, 2024 at 5:40 am
ResearchVise provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of Metal Plates and Assemblies for Fuel Cells market along with forecasts at global, regional, and country-level analysis from ...
- Metra set to buy its first battery-powered trains for use during off-peak timeson February 21, 2024 at 3:17 pm
The new trains, believed to be among the first of their kind in the country, will likely only be used on certain lines.
- What's Going On With Plug Power Shares Wednesday?on February 21, 2024 at 6:09 am
Plug Power finalizes a deal with a major U.S. automaker for hydrogen infrastructure, fuel cells, amid plans for a vast electric vehicle manufacturing campus.
- Plug Finalizes Contract to Support A Major U.S. Automobile Manufacturer’s Material Handling Operationson February 21, 2024 at 5:00 am
Plug’s hydrogen fuel cells are a direct replacement for any battery solution in electric forklifts. By implementing fuel cell solutions, this facility will be able to drive productivity, streamline ...
- Navigating Through The Membrane Electrode Assemblies(MEA) for Fuel Cells Market Landscapeon February 21, 2024 at 4:01 am
Xcellent Insights has published a new report titled, “Global Membrane Electrode Assemblies(MEA) for Fuel Cells Market”, segmented by Type, Application, Region, and Key Players. As per the report, the ...
- Celadyne coats membranes with nanoparticles to make hydrogen fuel cells more efficienton February 15, 2024 at 5:59 am
Run it the other way, and you produce electricity and water from hydrogen and oxygen. This is known as a fuel cell. Fuel cells and electrolyzers each have tweaks to help them run their half of the ...
via Bing News