The idea of guaranteeing people’s income—a basic income guarantee—has gained a lot of currency of late. There has been a flurry of articles and think-tank chatter, growing support among the Silicon Valley set and even some early experiments.
Utrecht, in Holland, for example, has an interesting pilot. As Quartz explains:
A group of people already receiving welfare will get monthly checks ranging from around €900 ($1,000) for an adult to €1,300 ($1,450) for a couple or family per month. Out of the estimated 300 people participating, a group of at least 50 people will receive the unconditional basic income and won’t be subject to any regulation, so even if they get a job or find another source of income, they will still get their disbursement
Council alderman Victor Everhardt told a local publication that he sees the policy as a test of how people will react to having their needs met and not having to do anything extra. One big question: “Will someone sit passively at home or do people develop themselves and provide a meaningful contribution to our society?”
The pilot, overseen by University College Utrecht, is one way of doing basic income. People have proposed everything from a universal benefit open to all (even people with money already) to a more conditional arrangement based on existing income. The advantage of universality, aside from morality, is that the program is cheap and easy to administer.
The Latest on: Basic income
via Google News
The Latest on: Basic income
- Minneapolis Joins Guaranteed Income Experiment Using Federal Aidon July 12, 2021 at 12:18 pm
About 200 families will get as much as $500 a month for two years in the latest city program to test unrestricted cash payments.
- RSA Scotland: Invitation to volunteer at the Basic Income Earth Network Congress (BIEN) 2021on July 12, 2021 at 7:31 am
RSA Scotland Fellows are invited to join a volunteer team which will have a pivotal role in organising the 22nd Basic Income Earth Network Congress in Glasgow ...
- Parliament should still pass basic income bill, sponsored by Grit MP Dzerowicz, urges Ottawa letter writeron July 11, 2021 at 9:00 pm
I am hoping this private member’s bill, Bill C-273, a National Strategy for a Guaranteed Basic Income Act, sponsored by Liberal MP Julie Dzerowicz, can still be approved by Parliament because it can ...
- Why basic income security is essential for financial well beingon July 11, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Real scarcity of resources is a different tough state. Research shows that families that do not have enough to finance even their basic needs, tend to be severely impacted. Too little money to take ...
- Guaranteed income has extended a lifeline to South Bay former foster youth. Will concept go statewide?on July 11, 2021 at 10:00 am
Her mother was killed in a violent crime and the four children became wards of Santa Clara County’s foster care system. “It was a horrible time, and I don’t even know if we properly grieved our mom,” ...
- Yuen Pau Woo: The basic income study that wasn'ton July 10, 2021 at 4:11 pm
A B.C. government-commissioned report dismissed the idea of a basic income, much to the disappointment of some antipoverty advocates.
- South Korean candidate under fire for wavering on universal basic incomeon July 9, 2021 at 10:25 am
A dispute over universal basic income is casting a shadow over South Korean presidential candidates of the ruling Democratic Party.
- Long Beach Announces A Pilot Universal Basic Income Programon July 8, 2021 at 9:48 pm
Long Beach has announced a guaranteed income pilot for people living in one of the city’s poorest areas. The program would give $500 a month to 500 single-parent families within the 90813 zip code for ...
- Is the Child Tax Credit Just Universal Basic Income in Disguise?on July 8, 2021 at 3:40 pm
The newly expanded Child Tax Credit, now worth between $3,000 and $3,600 per year for qualifying families, has been classified by some as an extension of the UBI idea.
- What a National Guaranteed Income Could Look Likeon July 8, 2021 at 1:00 pm
A new proposal pitches expanding the earned income tax credit in the U.S. to take monthly cash payments national.
via Bing News