Healing times for skin ulcers and bedsores can be reduced by a third with the use of low-intensity ultrasound, scientists from the University of Sheffield and University of Bristol have found.
- Treatment could save the NHS £3.1 billion every year
- More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds
- Healing time can be reduced by a third
Researchers from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Biomedical Science discovered the ultrasound transmits a vibration through the skin and wakes up cells in wounds helping to stimulate and accelerate the healing process.
More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds every year at a cost of over £3.1 billion to the NHS.
The ultrasound treatment, which also reduces the chance of wounds getting infected, is particularly effective when treating diabetics and the elderly.
There are 11 million over-65s, three million diabetics, and 10 million smokers in the UK – all of whom are likely to suffer problems with healing wounds.
A quarter of diabetics suffer from skin ulcers, particularly foot ulcers, due to the loss of sensation and circulation in the legs.
Lead author of the study Dr Mark Bass, from the University’s Centre for Membrane Interactions and Dynamics (CMIAD), said: “Skin ulcers are excruciatingly painful for patients and in many cases can only be resolved by amputation of the limb.
“Using ultrasound wakes up the cells and stimulates a normal healing process. Because it is just speeding up the normal processes, the treatment doesn’t carry the risk of side effects that are often associated with drug treatments.”
The Latest on: Skin healing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”skin healing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Skin healing
- Secret health benefits of Vitamin E for hair care, dry skin, healing wounds and moreon October 3, 2023 at 11:39 pm
Have you heard of the beauty vitamin and its benefits? If you've been experiencing hair loss, dry skin and delayed wound healing, you may find vitamin E to be an extraordinary solution.
- How To Get Clear Skin Overnight: Commonly Overlooked Tips and Productson October 3, 2023 at 4:13 pm
By ensuring your skin is thoroughly clean before bed ... These small adhesive patches are infused with active ingredients that target and heal blemishes while you sleep. Not only do they shield the ...
- Here’s Why You Have Dry Skin on Your Face—And How to Dealon October 3, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Having dry skin on your face can be seriously frustrating. For one thing, flaking and peeling don’t exactly make for a radiant complexion. More importantly, though, thirsty skin can be downright ...
- The 10 Best Prime Day Skin Care Deals Happening Right Nowon October 3, 2023 at 8:08 am
If your skin barrier has been damaged by too much time in the sun or intense chemical treatments, this K-beauty moisturizer is beloved for its ability to heal skin. This radiance-boosting serum helps ...
- Skin Care Newson October 1, 2023 at 5:00 pm
significantly improved wound healing in rats compared to those in control groups, according to a new study by ... Why Does Skin Get 'Leathery' After Too Much Sun? Bioengineers Examine Cellular ...
- How long does a tattoo take to heal? What to know about aftercare and the healing process.on September 30, 2023 at 4:11 am
How you take care of your tattoo can affect how long it takes to heal. According to Dr. Bruce Katz, a board-certified dermatologist and director of the JUVA Skin and Laser Center, keeping your ...
- Nurses Who Wash Their Hands a 'Million Times a Day' Swear By This $4 Cream for Dry Skinon September 29, 2023 at 5:00 pm
This nourishing cream is the perfect remedy for the cold weather. It provides instant hydration that lasts all day and leaves your skin so soft without leaving a greasy residue, per the brand. Even ...
- What Are Hydrocolloid Patches?on September 29, 2023 at 11:40 am
Hydrocolloid patches were initially designed to heal skin wounds like ulcers or blisters. The patches help promote healing by absorbing moisture and protecting the skin from infections.
- New frontier in biomedical engineering: Protein coacervates engineered into adhesive for unprecedented skin repair speedon September 28, 2023 at 5:00 pm
A team of researchers from China has made a significant breakthrough in biomedical engineering by developing a novel adhesive that promises to revolutionize wound management and tissue repair. The ...
- Keep your skin moisturized this fall with manuka honey creamon September 28, 2023 at 7:48 am
The natural skin care ingredient has healing properties. In fall, as the air gets colder, it also gets drier, which can be quite taxing on your skin. One way to help avoid dry and ...
via Bing News