Healing times for skin ulcers and bedsores can be reduced by a third with the use of low-intensity ultrasound, scientists from the University of Sheffield and University of Bristol have found.
- Treatment could save the NHS £3.1 billion every year
- More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds
- Healing time can be reduced by a third
Researchers from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Biomedical Science discovered the ultrasound transmits a vibration through the skin and wakes up cells in wounds helping to stimulate and accelerate the healing process.
More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds every year at a cost of over £3.1 billion to the NHS.
The ultrasound treatment, which also reduces the chance of wounds getting infected, is particularly effective when treating diabetics and the elderly.
There are 11 million over-65s, three million diabetics, and 10 million smokers in the UK – all of whom are likely to suffer problems with healing wounds.
A quarter of diabetics suffer from skin ulcers, particularly foot ulcers, due to the loss of sensation and circulation in the legs.
Lead author of the study Dr Mark Bass, from the University’s Centre for Membrane Interactions and Dynamics (CMIAD), said: “Skin ulcers are excruciatingly painful for patients and in many cases can only be resolved by amputation of the limb.
“Using ultrasound wakes up the cells and stimulates a normal healing process. Because it is just speeding up the normal processes, the treatment doesn’t carry the risk of side effects that are often associated with drug treatments.”
The Latest on: Skin healing
[google_news title=”” keyword=”skin healing” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Skin healing
- 15 Best Hydrating Serums to Soothe Dry, Irritated Skinon November 29, 2023 at 10:01 am
The 15 best hydrating serums for soothing dry, irritated skin recommended by a dermatologist and tested by shopping writers.
- A Complete Lowdown On LED Treatments And Why Your Skin Will Love Iton November 29, 2023 at 3:42 am
We'll level with you, they're not just creepy looking masks, but actually the secret to giving acne-prone and dull skin a good old glow boost. Still not with us? We caught up with Kate Moss and Sienna ...
- Is ‘skin slugging’ the secret to glowing, hydrated skin during winters?on November 28, 2023 at 9:30 pm
As with any skincare trend, the efficacy of skin slugging varies from person to person. Here are its myriad benefits.
- Skin infection. Progress in healing!on November 28, 2023 at 11:59 am
It's Fungus or yeast infection....common around skin folds like thighs and genitals.. avoid sweating, sharing clothes,towels and soap.. specific medicine required depends on the severity.. for ...
- Stages of a Wart Falling Off: Look for These Skin Changeson November 28, 2023 at 11:54 am
Most skin warts are harmless and often go away on their own. Wart treatments can speed up the removal of warts that are painful. First-line wart treatments help the wart fall off by slowly killing the ...
- Reprogramming tissue mechanically to promote wound healingon November 28, 2023 at 7:43 am
Researchers at PSI and ETH Zurich have taken connective tissue cells that have been mechanically reprogrammed to resemble stem cells and transplanted them into damaged skin. In their laboratory ...
- Vitamin K for skin: Is it the best way to combat signs of ageing?on November 28, 2023 at 6:29 am
Apart from its well-known role in blood clotting, vitamin K is essential for bone health as it aids in calcium regulation. It also contributes to cardiovascular health by preventing the calcification ...
- C-Section Scar Healing Stages: From Delivery Onwardson November 27, 2023 at 7:34 am
A cesarean section (or C-section) is a major surgical procedure that's sometimes used to deliver a baby. It can take weeks to work through the healing stages of a C-section scar. This timeline can be ...
- Your lips are cracked and dry. Here's how to heal chapped lips.on November 27, 2023 at 7:06 am
Cold weather always brings its own set of challenges, and one common winter woe is the discomfort of dry and chapped lips. Bitter cold, harsh winds and indoor heating can strip delicate skin of its ...
- Skin Peeling on Face: 9 Ways to Delicately Treat Symptomson November 26, 2023 at 4:01 pm
If your skin peeling is caused by a bacterial infection like impetigo or infected eczema, antibiotics are typically prescribed to eradicate the bacteria and heal the infection causing the problem.
via Bing News