Healing times for skin ulcers and bedsores can be reduced by a third with the use of low-intensity ultrasound, scientists from the University of Sheffield and University of Bristol have found.
- Treatment could save the NHS £3.1 billion every year
- More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds
- Healing time can be reduced by a third
Researchers from the University of Sheffield’s Department of Biomedical Science discovered the ultrasound transmits a vibration through the skin and wakes up cells in wounds helping to stimulate and accelerate the healing process.
More than 200,000 patients in the UK suffer with chronic wounds every year at a cost of over £3.1 billion to the NHS.
The ultrasound treatment, which also reduces the chance of wounds getting infected, is particularly effective when treating diabetics and the elderly.
There are 11 million over-65s, three million diabetics, and 10 million smokers in the UK – all of whom are likely to suffer problems with healing wounds.
A quarter of diabetics suffer from skin ulcers, particularly foot ulcers, due to the loss of sensation and circulation in the legs.
Lead author of the study Dr Mark Bass, from the University’s Centre for Membrane Interactions and Dynamics (CMIAD), said: “Skin ulcers are excruciatingly painful for patients and in many cases can only be resolved by amputation of the limb.
“Using ultrasound wakes up the cells and stimulates a normal healing process. Because it is just speeding up the normal processes, the treatment doesn’t carry the risk of side effects that are often associated with drug treatments.”
The Latest on: Skin healing
via Google News
The Latest on: Skin healing
- First Gene Therapy for Skin, From Krystal, Heals Wounded Kidson November 29, 2021 at 2:06 pm
Shares of Krystal were up 120% in Monday trading on the company's report of initial data from the pivotal trial of its Vyjuvek treatment.
- Edward's Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Center earns national reaccreditationon November 29, 2021 at 12:43 pm
Edward Hospital's Wound Healing & Hyperbaric Center has earned reaccreditation from the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) Clinical Hyperbaric Facility Accreditation Program. Edward is the ...
- I Needed To Heal My Body Image. So I Went 'Off The Grid.'on November 29, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Am I doing this right? The others in our small circle navigate this decision. They take their handful without a second thought, opening and reclosing zippers in one swift motion. I’m not there yet. I ...
- EXCLUSIVE: Aditi Govitrikar on the skin & haircare routine she swears by, product she can't do without & moreon November 29, 2021 at 5:44 am
Aditi Govitrikar went from obstetrician/gynaecologist to model and then actor. The mother-of-two has been part of films like De Dana Dan and Smile Please so far. In a candid chat with her, we talk ...
- Kylie Jenner Is Gifting This Anti-Aging Skin-Care Device for the Holidayson November 26, 2021 at 5:00 am
Jenner swears by red LED light therapy, and plans to introduce friends and family to the tech by gifting this LightStim device.
- My skin flaked off and oozing blisters made water feel like acid – nobody warned me about ‘steroid cream withdrawal’on November 21, 2021 at 2:19 pm
A WOMAN has shared how she was left stunned when she discovered that the oozing blisters on her face that made the water feel like acid were due to steroid cream withdrawal. Brittany Stephens, 27, ...
- 8 Products That’ll Help Heal Your Stretch Markson November 20, 2021 at 8:00 am
Stretch marks (Striae) are scars found on areas of tension like your arms, hips, buttocks, and stomach. This scar tissue develops when our skin stretches and shrinks abruptly, causing collagen and ...
- Are You Over-Exfoliating Your Skin? Here's How to Find Outon November 18, 2021 at 5:20 pm
Over-exfoliating the skin happens to the best of us. From increased sensitivity and irritations, it can be uncomfortable dealing with this skincare woe. Fortunately, it's possible to get your ...
- Research shows B cells can help fight infection, speed skin wound healing, and protect brain after injuryon November 18, 2021 at 1:25 pm
B cells—present in the blood stream—were mainly thought to produce antibodies and present antigens to help with the immune response to pathogens. A research team at the Vaccine and Immunotherapy ...
- 10 Of The Best Face Creams To Soothe And Treat Dry Skinon November 17, 2021 at 7:57 am
Everyone's skin needs extra hydration in the winter. Here, top medical esthetician Jordana Mattioli recommends non-greasy options—from unscented creams to overnight fixes—to repair and quench your dry ...
via Bing News