Drought is one of the most urgent environmental crises facing the world today. In new work reported in The Plant Cell, scientists from Korea used a genome-wide approach to studying drought tolerance in plants and identified regulatory pathway that can be used to increase drought tolerance.
Regions all over the globe are suffering from severe drought, which threatens crop production worldwide. This is especially worrisome given the need to increase, not just maintain, crop yields to feed the increasing global population.
Over the course of evolution, plants have developed mechanisms to adapt to periods of inadequate water, and as any gardener can tell you, some species are better able to handle drought than others. Accordingly, scientists have invested much effort to understand how plants respond to drought stress and what can be done to increase the drought tolerance of economically important plants.
As Dr. NamChon Paek of Seoul National University in Korea stated, “We all expect that drought will be the major challenge for crop production in the near future. Understanding drought-responsive signaling and the molecular and biochemical mechanisms of drought tolerance in model plants such as Arabidopsis and rice provide new insight into how to develop drought-tolerant crop plants through conventional breeding or biotechnological approaches.”
The Latest on: Drought tolerance
via Google News
The Latest on: Drought tolerance
- NMSU researcher examines drought-tolerant cluster bean for adaptability in New Mexicoon May 21, 2022 at 10:23 am
Guar, which means “cow food” in Hindi, is commonly used as a forage for livestock or consumed as a fresh vegetable, much like the string bean.
- As Drought Grows Which Plants Survive & Resist Fireon May 19, 2022 at 11:50 pm
California remains in an extreme drought as our rain season is running -1.00 to -7.00” behind and our snowpack only finished at 42% of normal. Climate change and La Niña helped contribute to this ...
- SAWS reports drought sparks interest in water-saving yards in San Antonioon May 19, 2022 at 8:34 pm
The San Antonio Water System reports the drought is sparking interest among customers about how to install a water-saving landscape.
- Many Texas farmers to miss out on record wheat prices as drought intensifieson May 19, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Drought, climate change and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have created a volatile market for the staple commodity.
- Can you keep your grass green during California drought? Tips for Sacramento homeownerson May 19, 2022 at 8:58 am
California cities are enforcing water-saving measures, summer heat has crept in early and your lush green grass is probably starting to wither. As reported by the California’s drought information ...
- Advice for keeping your trees, plants alive in extreme drought conditionson May 18, 2022 at 11:30 am
Most shade trees planted in West Texas are drought tolerant and can get by on rainfall during normal years if well-established, but this isn't your average year.
- Drought tolerant landscaping tipson May 18, 2022 at 10:30 am
Water is in high demand in our state and with more and more people moving into Colorado water supply is limited. Which means we need to consider limiting our water especially for our yard. John ...
- Finding native plants for drought-tolerant gardenson May 14, 2022 at 8:15 am
California Native Plant Society holds its spring sale on March 21 and 22. It's the time to find drought-tolerant plants that will thrive in Napa County gardens.
- As drought deepens, Milpitas gets message on conservationon May 12, 2022 at 3:46 pm
Despite urgent calls to conserve during California's third straight year of drought, many communities are still not getting the message. Meanwhile, one South Bay community is heeding the call to ...
- ‘Pervasive’ patrol teams set to enforce LA’s new watering rules as drought deepenson May 10, 2022 at 5:09 pm
Watering with sprinklers will be limited to eight minutes per station. Sprinklers with water-conserving nozzles will be limited to 15 minutes per station.
via Bing News