Needle injections have been around since 1657 and remain a key delivery method for many drugs, including vaccines that have prevented countless illnesses.
But for patients that require daily pricks or for people in remote locations, the syringe model has major drawbacks. An article in Chemical & Engineering News looks at potential alternatives, their successes and their roadblocks.
Alex Scott, a senior editor at C&EN, explains that many pharmaceuticals, particularly large-molecule drugs such as insulin, are not good candidates for oral delivery. If swallowed, they would simply break down in the digestive tract and become useless. So scientists are exploring a number of new drug-delivery systems: ointments, tablets that quickly dissolve under the tongue, micro-needle skin patches and robotic pills.
At least one form, an inhalable insulin powder, is already on the market. Several others have shown promising results in animal testing. But moving forward could require a shift in thinking among vaccine and other drug companies that currently have little incentive to change. Developers will have to win over regulators and patients, who will ultimately decide which methods are adopted.
Read more: Withdrawing the Needle
The Latest on: Drug-delivery systems
via Google News
The Latest on: Drug-delivery systems
- New drug delivery system releases therapeutic cargo only when bacteria are presenton June 8, 2022 at 12:19 pm
A new material developed at Brown University can respond to the presence of bacterial enzymes by releasing a cargo of therapeutic nanoparticles, which could prove particularly helpful in wound ...
- Gufic launches new drug delivery systemon June 8, 2022 at 10:26 am
Gufic Biosciences Ltd, a pharmaceutical manufacturer has launched new drug delivery system: Dual Chamber Bags (DCB), in collaboration with its French counterpart with indigenously ...
- Top 10 Drug Delivery Technologies Market foresee Size, Share, Statistics, Demand and Revenue, predict 2026on June 8, 2022 at 6:30 am
Global Top 10 Drug Delivery Technologies Market report provides a basic overview of the Top 10 Drug Delivery Technologies including definitions, classifications, applications and Top 10 Drug Delivery ...
- Connected Drug Delivery Devices Market is estimated to reach US$ 1.6 Billion by 2028on June 8, 2022 at 6:13 am
Pages Report] According to the analyst of Future Market Insights (FMI), the leading manufacturers of connected drug delivery devices are focusing collaboration with the software companies to assess ...
- Novel Drug Delivery Systems in Cancer Therapy Market is Expected to Reach US$ 88.5 billion in 2032 - Future Market Insights, Inc.on June 8, 2022 at 6:00 am
U.S. Novel Drug Delivery Systems in the Cancer Therapy Market are estimated to have a 19% growth through 2032, with US$ 30.6 billion worth of sales. Market in South Korea is expected to grow at a rate ...
- Microneedle Drug Delivery Systems Global Market Research Report 2022 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon June 3, 2022 at 7:32 am
The “Microneedle Drug Delivery Systems Global Market Report 2022” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering. Major players in the microneedle drug delivery systems market are 3M, ...
- Bio-Graphene Nano-Drug Delivery System Targets Cervical Canceron May 31, 2022 at 6:34 am
Recently, a new nano-drug delivery system (NDDS) was established based on bio-graphene nanocomposite to treat cervical cancer.
- CD Bioparticles Releases Prostaglandins to Support Drug Delivery Researchon May 30, 2022 at 2:15 pm
CD Bioparticles introduces a series of prostaglandins products to support drug delivery related research.New York, USA - May 30, 2022 - CD Bioparticles, a ...
- Researchers develop oil-based gels as drug delivery systems for children in resource-limited countrieson May 27, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Administering medications to children poses unique challenges, especially in resource-limited countries with high infant and child mortality rates.
- Transdermal Drug Delivery System Market Detailed SWOT Analysis Over Top Players And Applications 2022on May 27, 2022 at 12:51 am
Market Research Engine has published a new report titled as "Transdermal Drug Delivery System Market by Type (Patches ...
via Bing News