Machine parts wear, if there is friction between their metal surfaces. Lubricants and functional oils help prevent this. They attract dirt, debris and dust, and over time form lumps or become resinous.
Machine parts then have to be intensively cleaned and regreased, which leads to more frequent maintenance, greater consumption of resources, polluting waste or machine breakdowns. Researchers at the INM – Leibniz Institute for New Materials have now developed a functional coating which lubricates without grease and protects against corrosion at the same time. It is suitable as a coating for metals and metal alloys such as steel, aluminum or magnesium.
The INM from Saarbrücken will be one of the few German research institutions at the TechConnect World trade fair on 15 and 16 June in Washington DC, USA, where it will be presenting this and other results. Working in cooperation with the VDI Association of German Engineers it will be showcasing its latest developments at Stand 301 in the German Area.
“The thing about our low friction coating is its composition and structure”, explains Carsten Becker-Willinger, Head of the Nanomers Program Division. “We have incorporated platelet-like solid lubricants and platelet-like particles in a binder. When this mixture is applied to a surface, it produces a well-ordered structure in which these various particles are arranged in a roof tile pattern”, he adds. This forms a so-called transfer film between the low friction coating and the object through which surfaces can slide with the minimum of friction. “The particular mixture ratio means that our composite has a very low coefficient of friction. If we only used a solid lubricant, the coefficient of friction would be considerably higher”, says the chemist.
The roof tile structure not only provides low-friction sliding, it also acts as a barrier. This is a particular advantage because as a result the material also prevents moisture or salts penetrating metal surfaces, thus also protecting against corrosion. In a neutral salt spray context, the composite has a corrosion resistance of over 1000 hours on low-alloy steel.
The Latest on: Low friction coating
via Google News
The Latest on: Low friction coating
- Global Thermal Spray Coatings Market Report 2020-2027 - Outbreak of COVID-19 has Disrupted Supply Chains and Sharply Curtailed Product Demand - ResearchAndMarkets.comon January 20, 2021 at 8:43 am
high or low friction, and several other properties to the coated surfaces. These coatings have the high-potential market opportunities on account of their properties, such as biocompatibility ...
- Global Thermal Spray Coatings Market Report 2020-2027 - Outbreak of COVID-19 has Disrupted Supply Chains and Sharply Curtailed Product Demand - Researon January 20, 2021 at 5:35 am
The "Thermal Spray Coatings Market, 2020 - 2027" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. The global thermal spray coatings market size is expected to reach USD 13.6 billion by 2027 ...
- A Primer on Plating and Finishes for Fastenerson January 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
This low-cost coating combines zinc or manganese phosphate ... “Lubricants have three functions: reducing friction between contacting surfaces, minimizing wear, and removing heat and ...
- Medical Device Coatings Market Size, Status and Global Outlook 2021 to 2026on January 19, 2021 at 2:14 am
Medical device coatings can provide excellent properties, such as high lubricating, low friction, superior durability, thus can expand the using range, extend the usable life, and improve the ...
- Extrusion Coating Market | Global Size, Share, Growth Factors, Covid-19 Analysis, Trends, Key Players Analysis, Emerging Technologies to 2025on January 18, 2021 at 12:20 am
The Global Extrusion Coating Market is segmented on the basis of type, substrate, application and region. By Type , the market is categorized into low density polyethylene (LDPE), polypropylene ...
- Why is the Polytetrafluoroethylene tube named ptfe tube?on January 15, 2021 at 10:40 pm
At the same time, PTFE has the characteristics of high temperature resistance, and its friction coefficient is extremely low, so it can be used for lubrication and become an ideal coating for easy ...
- Understanding Wear and Friction in Medical-Grade Stainless Steelson January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Materials with low coefficients of friction may have high wear rates (Teflon ... Many surface modifications and coatings are designed to perform as a "dry" lubricant. These can be used when wet ...
- Tooling Corner: Boosting productivity of molds with diamond-like coatingson January 13, 2021 at 4:00 pm
DLC/Dylyn coatings reduce wear that causes flashing and with an increased hardness in combination with an extreme low coefficient of friction, reduce the effect of dirt in the sliding mold tooling.
- Basic introduction and application of PTFE hose materialon January 11, 2021 at 10:22 am
English abbreviation is PTFE, (commonly known as Plastic King, Hara), and the chemical formula is -(CF2-CF2)n-. Polytetrafluoroethylene was accidentally di ...
- Vacuum Coating Equipment Market Share Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2026on January 6, 2021 at 3:46 am
The technology boasts of various advantages such as exceptional coating, resistance to oxidation, superior hardness, reduced chemical reactivity, low friction values and robust wear protection.
via Bing News