Technology developed by the University of Cincinnati and industry partners can do something that neither blinds nor existing smart windows can do.
This patent-pending research, supported by the National Science Foundation, will lead to low-cost window tintings which dynamically adapt for brightness, color temperatures and opacity (to provide for privacy while allowing light in).
Technology developed by the University of Cincinnati and industry partners can do something that neither blinds nor existing smart windows can do. This patent-pending research, supported by the National Science Foundation, will lead to low-cost window tintings which dynamically adapt for brightness, color temperatures and opacity (to provide for privacy while allowing light in).
- Take some time to see the renderings by UC’s Tim Zarki of what the dynamic, low-cost window tintings will be able to achieve.
A partnership between the University of Cincinnati, Hewlett Packard, and EMD/Merck Research Labs has resulted in a patent-pending breakthrough in ‘tunable’ window tintings. The breakthrough means traditional window shades could soon be replaced by a low-cost tinting where the brightness, color temperature (warm or cool just like incandescent light bulbs) and opacity (privacy) are adjustable by the user.
Importantly, the newly developed device structure that makes these “smart windows” possible is very simple to manufacture, allowing affordability for both business and home use. It can be integrated into new windows or even easily applied to already existing windows, by means of a roll-on coating consisting of a honeycomb of electrodes.
BENEFITS OF THE NEW SMART WINDOWS
Currently, most home and commercial windows use mechanical shades to provide privacy and to block light, heat or cold. This centuries-old technology is already inexpensive and effective, which has slowed the adoption of electronically controlled window tinting, which previously could only mimic the clear-to-opaque performance of mechanical shades. However, this new breakthrough at the University of Cincinnati is about to change that.
The Latest on: Smart windows
via Google News
The Latest on: Smart windows
- Facilitating change: the smart benefits of going greenon January 25, 2021 at 4:58 am
Matthew Margetts, director of sales and marketing at Smarter Technologies, discusses the benefits of creating green building environments ...
- The $69 ZimaBoard lets you supercharge your smart home systemson January 25, 2021 at 4:24 am
Setting up a smart home system could be set to get a lot easier thanks to a new pint-sized device that is designed to be used as a DIY, hackable server. While ZimaBoard isn’t the first of its kind, ...
- 'Professional' Kate Middleton is adopting a smart business style in sharp blazerson January 25, 2021 at 1:18 am
The Duchess of Cambridge, 39, is adopting a 'simple' style to appear 'more mature and business-like' during the Covid-19 crisis, celebrity stylist Rochelle White told FEMAIL.
- How the pandemic revealed the smart home paradoxon January 22, 2021 at 12:31 am
Stuff to make our home smarter is often more useful when we're not at home. Up until the pandemic hit, laptop and smartphone makers relentlessly pushed the envelope on increasing productivity and ...
- Lenovo’s Smart Clock Essential plus four smart lightbulbs are $30 at Best Buyon January 20, 2021 at 8:15 am
Lenovo unveiled its new Google Assistant-powered alarm clock, the Smart Clock Essential. At just $50, the Lenovo Smart Clock Essential is slightly smarter than your average bedside clock. Not only ...
- How to Automate Your Smart Home with a Weather Stationon January 19, 2021 at 9:07 am
The Age of Technology has made a huge impact on the world in ways that many people have yet to realize. For example, many people have heard of virtual reality technology, but not many people ...
- 5 new Windows 10 features to try right nowon January 18, 2021 at 7:22 am
If you have an iPhone, don’t miss these 10 iPhone tricks you’ll use all the time. Now that all the kinks are worked out of the big fall Windows update, it’s time to take the best new features for a ...
- Smart Buildings Market Shaping from Growth to Value | Amazon, United Technologies, Leviton Manufacturingon January 15, 2021 at 6:29 am
COVID 19 Outbreak Global Smart Buildings Industry Market Report Development Trends Threats Opportunities and Competitive Landscape in 2020 is latest research study released by HTF MI evaluating the ...
- CF Finance Acquisition II/View De-SPAC - Disrupting Commercial Real-Estate Through Smart Windowson January 14, 2021 at 8:14 am
View Inc. is the market leader in the Smart Windows space. The total addressable market is huge at ~$1T. I see the stock at multiples of today’s price over the medium term. 70% of US electricity ...
- Transparent Solar Cells Eyed for Smart, Energy-Sustainable Buildingson January 13, 2021 at 7:39 am
Novel photovoltaic devices like solar cells can generate energy even in cloudy conditions by using more of the light spectrum.
via Bing News