Hybrid cars have been a success. The shipping industry is now moving in the same green direction.
ABB is convinced that vessels fitted with hybrid main propulsion machinery are the future, and the company expects to sign its first contract in the course of the year.
“Hybrid propulsion systems significantly reduce both fuel consumption and emissions,” says Børre Gundersen, R&D manager for ABB’s marine activities in Norway.
The company is currently testing the technology in a hypermodern hybrid laboratory in collaboration with NTNU and the SINTEF-institute MARINTEK.
Saving 15 percent of the energy
“The aim of the project is to develop and demonstrate solutions for improved, more energy-efficient propulsion systems for marine use. What we have found so far is that a direct-current power system that incorporates an energy store (i.e. battery) would result in 10 – 15 per cent lower fuel consumption and emissions than a traditional alternating current system.
This is because the energy store optimises operation of the internal combustion engine, which in turn means reduced fuel consumption, reduced emissions of greenhouse gases and particles, and not least, improved power system reliability,” says MARINTEK research manager Anders Valland.
The research team envisages that hybrid motors would be particularly effective in offshore operations, in which vessels perform many different tasks under a wide range of weather conditions.
Better and cheaper batteries
“The battery can absorb peak loads, while the internal combustion engine can continue to operate at its optimal level. This will also mean that in the future, future ships will not need such large engines as they do today, but rather smaller engines with batteries as backup and for security,” says Valland.
ABB believes that there could be a large market for electric vessels and el-hybrid vessels in the near future. One of the reasons for this belief is that experts expect to see battery capacity doubling by 2020, without a corresponding rise in cost. Moreover, they offer significant environmental benefits.
Read more: Hybrid vessels will soon be on the market
The Latest on: Hybrid ships
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Hybrid ships” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Hybrid ships
- Italian Naval Ship Shoots Down Drone in Red Seaon March 3, 2024 at 4:00 pm
An Italian navy ship shot down a drone flying towards it in the Red Sea ... Palestinian militant group Hamas in the war against Israel, were part of a strategy of hybrid warfare against some countries ...
- Ford Recalls Maverick Hybrid Pickup Truck Due to Instrument Panel Cluster Software Issueon February 29, 2024 at 9:33 am
The hybrid option accounted for 52,361 deliveries ... The Hermosillo Plant Vehicle Team identified the condition during a routine analysis of warranty claims. A stop ship was approved on October 10.
- Nolah Original Hybrid Mattress Review 2024: Testing the Brand's Newest Hybrid Mattresson February 29, 2024 at 7:00 am
Looking for a supportive hybrid bed at a great value online? Here's what we like about this new Nolah mattress and who we think it's best for.
- BYD presents new electric cars – and a plug-in hybridon February 27, 2024 at 3:33 am
Chinese car manufacturer BYD presented eight models at the Geneva Motor Show, including its first plug-in hybrid model for Europe. However, the PHEV offshoot of the Seal U will only be sold in ...
- Wear OS “Hybrid” design has two OSes, two CPUs, “100 hour” battery lifeon February 26, 2024 at 1:08 pm
That's the solution OnePlus and Google have cooked up, with the new " Wear OS hybrid interface " on the OnePlus Watch 2. Basically, the smartwatch is now packing two different sets of CPUs and OSes: ...
- Wife of Officer Explains Pros and Cons of Living on a Cruise Shipon February 22, 2024 at 10:55 am
Christine Kesteloo, a cruise director turned content creator, spends half the year living on a cruise ship for free with her cruise officer husband.
- Lucid Motors will only build 9,000 EVs in 2024 after once predicting it would ship 90,000on February 21, 2024 at 2:05 pm
The Gravity is one of the reasons Lucid originally forecasted being able to make and ship 90,000 vehicles in a few short years ... He even said Lucid is “seeing interest in our technology for use in ...
- ABB to supply power and propulsion system for Antarctica21 polar expedition shipon February 21, 2024 at 4:21 am
ABB is to supply a power and propulsion system for Antarctica21’s new expedition cruise ship Magellan Discoverer after being selected by the Astillleros y Servicios Navales (ASENAV) shipyard in Chile.
- World's first hybrid wind and fuel powered chemical tanker sets sail from Rotterdamon February 20, 2024 at 8:57 am
Owners hope the world's first "wind-assisted chemical tanker" will help the shipping industry change tack for a greener future.
- EUROPE: SCHOTTEL providing rudder propellers for five hybrid Rhine waterways shipson February 20, 2024 at 7:10 am
Bunkerspot provides news, in-depth analysis, expert comment and price indications for the global marine fuels industry ...
via Bing News