An international project aims to enable the next great scientific advances in global marine research by making marine data sets more easily accessible to researchers worldwide
Currently different data formats between research centres pose a challenge to oceanographic researchers, who need unified data sets to get the most complete picture possible of the ocean. This project, called ODIP II, aims to solve this problem using NERC’s world-class vocabulary server to ‘translate’ between these different data semantics. The vocabulary server, which is effectively now an international standard for a service of this kind, was developed by the British Oceanographic Data Centre (BODC); a national facility operated as part of the National Oceanography Centre (NOC).
The Head of BODC Dr Graham Allen, which is leading the vocabularies aspect of ODIP II, said “This project will open up the possibilities of global marine research. For example, if scientists could access all the data on ocean temperature from, say, the North Sea, they would get a much more comprehensive insight into changes in ocean circulation there. Data management innovations like this enable the next big global scientific advances to happen.”
ODIP II is a collaboration between the USA, Australia and the EU, which are led by British Geological Survey and MARIS (Netherlands). The EU’s Horizon2020 programme has provided €2M for this project. By the time ODIP II is complete, in May 2018, it aims to have developed a means of seamlessly sharing and managing marine data between the EU, the USA and Australia, by co-ordinating the existing regional marine e-infrastructures.
Helen Glaves of British Geological Survey, who is leading ODIP II welcomed the extension: “ODIP has already succeeded in demonstrating a coordinated approach to the sharing of marine data on a global scale through the development of prototypes. This new funding will not only allow these prototype solutions to become fully operational, but will also enable the scope of the current project to be widened.”
The Latest on: Global marine research
via Google News
The Latest on: Global marine research
- Travel Insurance Market May See a Big Move : Major Giants Tokio Marine, MH Ross, Seven Cornerson October 18, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Global Travel Insurance Industry Market Research Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2020 (Based on 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread) is latest research ...
- Marine Insurance Market May See a Big Move | Major Giants Beazley, Mitsui Sumitomo, Gardon October 18, 2021 at 2:42 am
Worldwide Marine Market In depth Research Report 2021 Forecast to 2026 is latest research study released by AMA evaluating the market risk side analysis highlighting opportunities and leveraged with ...
- TIC Market for Marine Industry was USD 10 billion in 2020, registering a CAGR of 4% during the forecast period 2021-2027on October 18, 2021 at 12:00 am
The TIC market for marine industry is expected to witness. Marine industry is important because around 90% of the global trade is transported by sea. So, marine industry needs to be regulated and it ...
- Marine Loading Arms market to showcase an annual healthy growth rate over 2021-2026on October 17, 2021 at 7:58 pm
The business intelligence report of Marine Loading Arms market accurately predicts the industry’s performance for the upcoming years to aid stakeholders in ...
- Global Marine Antifreezes Market 2021 Research Report with COVID-19 Impact, by Future Trend, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2027on October 17, 2021 at 3:17 pm
Global Marine Antifreezes Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 introduced by MarketsandResearch.biz considers the market structure of the market through the ...
- Global Four Stroke Marine Diesel Engine Market Insights by Industry Demand, Regional Share Analysis and Forecast 2021-2027on October 17, 2021 at 1:44 pm
A new research market study report titled Global Four Stroke Marine Diesel Engine Market 2021 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2027 has been featured by MarketsandResearch.
- Global Marine Inboard Engines Market Report 2021 | Current Development Trends, Analysis Of Top Key Players, And Forecast Growth To 2027on October 17, 2021 at 9:44 am
Global Marine Inboard Engines Market Report Covers The Latest Market Trends Amid The COVID-19 Crisis. The market report on the global Marine Inboard Engines market highlights all ...
- Rubber Marine Fender Market Future Developments, Top Companies, Industry Size and Demands Research Reporton October 16, 2021 at 4:28 am
DeepResearchReports has uploaded a latest report on Rubber Marine Fender Industry from its research database Rubber Marine Fender Market is segmented by Regions Countries All the key market aspects ...
- Research shows how plastics threaten biodiversity of marine lifeon October 13, 2021 at 9:57 am
New research at Queen's University highlights the impact that microplastics are having on hermit crabs, which play an important role in balancing the marine ecosystem.
- Comprehensive Report on Global Marine Coating Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027on October 13, 2021 at 6:37 am
The recent report titled Marine Coatings Market Size, Status and Forecast 2021-2027” provided by Qualiket Research, includes a comprehensive investigation into the geographical landscape, industry ...
via Bing News