The bizarre nature of reality as laid out by quantum theory has survived another test, with scientists performing a famous experiment and proving that reality does not exist until it is measured
Physicists at The Australian National University (ANU) have conducted John Wheeler’s delayed-choice thought experiment, which involves a moving object that is given the choice to act like a particle or a wave. Wheeler’s experiment then asks – at which point does the object decide?
Common sense says the object is either wave-like or particle-like, independent of how we measure it. But quantum physics predicts that whether you observe wave like behavior (interference) or particle behavior (no interference) depends only on how it is actually measured at the end of its journey. This is exactly what the ANU team found.
“It proves that measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it,” said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott from the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.
Despite the apparent weirdness, the results confirm the validity of quantum theory, which governs the world of the very small, and has enabled the development of many technologies such as LEDs, lasers and computer chips.
The ANU team not only succeeded in building the experiment, which seemed nearly impossible when it was proposed in 1978, but reversed Wheeler’s original concept of light beams being bounced by mirrors, and instead used atoms scattered by laser light.
“Quantum physics’ predictions about interference seem odd enough when applied to light, which seems more like a wave, but to have done the experiment with atoms, which are complicated things that have mass and interact with electric fields and so on, adds to the weirdness,” said Roman Khakimov, PhD student at the Research School of Physics and Engineering.
Read more: Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness
The Latest on: Nature of reality
via Google News
The Latest on: Nature of reality
- Bigg Boss 14: 'Jasmin Bhasin knows Aly Goni and his nature,' Aly's sister, Ilham, responds to fans blaming him for Jasmin's evictionon January 20, 2021 at 8:44 am
Ilham has supported Aly Goni and his best friend Jasmin Bhasin since the beginning of the reality show. However, some fans targeted Ilham on social media and blamed Aly for Jasmin's eviction.
- Joe Biden Inauguration is Reality Check That QAnon Zealots Will Refuseon January 19, 2021 at 8:52 am
While their hero Donald Trump will be out of office, diehard followers of Q's theories are likely to adapt as opposed to giving up.
- Reality Steve Isn’t Sold on ‘Bachelor’ Spoilers, Reveals Different Potential Winneron January 19, 2021 at 8:24 am
Reality Steve has thrown another name into the mix when it comes to the woman who Matt James chooses on the finale of 'The Bachelor.' ...
- WandaVision Easter egg hints towards true nature of its mind-bending realityon January 15, 2021 at 8:59 am
An Easter egg has hinted at where WandaVision is headed, invoking a famous Marvel Comics run involving the characters. WandaVision has hit streaming service Disney Plus today with the first two ...
- Dog Eats One of Nature’s Most Deadly Mushrooms, Lives to Bark About Iton January 13, 2021 at 11:07 pm
What happens when your previously healthy pet eats something he found in your yard and wakes up the next morning completely unresponsive? That nightmare became a reality for Awilda Cadet, whose 80lb ...
- Owen Wilson questions the nature of his reality in Amazon’s sci-fi drama Blisson January 12, 2021 at 10:17 pm
An unfulfilled man (Owen Wilson) and a mysterious woman (Salma Hayek) believe they are living in a simulated reality, but when their newfound ‘Bliss’ world begins to bleed into the ‘ugly’ world they ...
- Book review: Explaining the nature of reality, a theoretical physicist gets down to the basicson January 9, 2021 at 11:24 am
During the seemingly endless hours of coronavirus isolation, many are pursuing new educational experiences – trying out a musical instrument or finally picking up that brush to learn the art of ...
- A theoretical physicist gets down to the basicson January 6, 2021 at 4:01 pm
And that physical reality can be summed up in three words ... this vision over the decades to cover the other forces of nature: gravity, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force.
- Are We the Cows of the Future?on January 5, 2021 at 7:30 am
Nature, of course, is very much subject to history ... In 2019 on the RusMoloko research farm near Moscow, virtual reality headsets were strapped onto cattle. The cows were led, through the ...
- Four ways in which quantum physics can challenge your realityon December 28, 2020 at 7:07 pm
Working out the basic nature of reality according to quantum mechanics is a little bit like an impossible Sudoku. No matter where we start with quantum theory, we always end up at a conundrum that ...
via Bing News