A new machine can look into the eye for signs of ill health
WHETHER or not eyes are windows to the soul, they can provide a view of a person’s health. Eye problems are not the only things to show up; recent studies indicate that eyes can also reveal the presence of broader disorders like heart disease, stroke threats, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis. Frequent eye monitoring may help detect these ailments early, and now a new device promises to make that easier.
Retinal imaging is best left to professionals, not least because a doctor needs to get a patient’s eye in precisely the right position to see all the blood vessels inside. Even so, Tristan Swedish of Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Media Lab, a place where diverse disciplines often collide in remarkable ways, speculated that it might be possible to create a device that would allow patients to take snapshots of their own retinas.
Working on the principle of “if you can see me, I can see you”, Mr Swedish describes his idea in an upcoming issue of the Association of Computing Machinery Transactions on Graphics. He generates a red light that shines through tiny holes to make it look as if there are four red lights in a diamond formation in his device. Patients initially see the lights as rather dim dots but, as they move their eyes around, they quickly notice that the dots become brighter when they look in a specific direction. When these dots become particularly bright, a second diamond of dim red lights becomes apparent inside the first four. The person then moves their eyes again until they can see all eight bright lights forming a diamond within a diamond.
Read more: Retina selfie
The Latest on: Medical self-diagnostics
via Google News
The Latest on: Medical self-diagnostics
- AI in Telecommunication Market 2021 Global Industry Size, Share, Revenue, Business Growth, Demand and Applications Market Research Report to 2026on April 24, 2021 at 11:01 pm
Except for the medical supplies and life support products industries, most industries have been greatly impacted, and Benomyl industries have also been greatly affected. This Report covers the ...
- Would you take a home test?on April 21, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Miss Catlin said: "Although many health symptoms such as heart problems tend to occur from late middle age, it is the younger groups who are using a greater variety of self diagnostics.
- Honeywell's ITS Smart Position Sensoron April 20, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Its built-in redundancy and self-diagnostics provide additional safety benefits and ... as aircraft ram door control and military vehicle suspension arm positioning; Medical applications such as ...
- Compact Direct Drive Linear Actuator Has Integrated Encoder and Temperature Sensor for Increased Throughput!on April 18, 2021 at 9:56 am
Applications include: Manufacturing (assembly and inspection equipment), sorting and packaging, semiconductor handling, medical device, procedure tables and instruments, antenna positioning, dampers, ...
- Professional Ventilator Design Open Sourced Today By Medtronicon April 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Medical device company Medtronic released designs for one of their ventilators to open source for use in the COVID-19 pandemic. This is a laudable action, and there is plenty to glean from the ...
- Industrial eye-openeron March 31, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Maintainable with simple techniques including support from suppliers, small spare parts inventory, and integrated self-diagnostics. • Modular – allowing for “plug and play” of several ...
- Photoelectric Sensor Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Changeon March 17, 2021 at 4:57 am
Photoelectric sensors are used in consumer electronics, industrial manufacturing, automotive and transportation, building automation, food and beverages, pharmaceuticals and medical ... and deliver ...
- Photoelectric Sensor Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Growth And Changeon March 17, 2021 at 4:53 am
Photoelectric sensors are used in consumer electronics, industrial manufacturing, automotive and transportation, building automation, food and beverages, pharmaceuticals and medical, packaging ...
- Multiskan GO Microplate Spectrophotometer from Thermo Scientificon August 5, 2017 at 6:08 pm
Extensive automatic self diagnostics at instrument start-up verifies all major instrument functionalities and continuous runtime control of optical and mechanical functions guarantee stable day-to ...
- Multiskan FC Microplate Photometer from Thermo Scientificon August 5, 2017 at 6:08 pm
It offers proven perfomance and reliable results through built-in self diagnostics, IQ/OQ/PQ and verification tools, as well as ease of use through a visual user interface and language versions.
via Bing News