RMIT researchers are using state-of-the-art modelling techniques to study the effects of wind on cities, paving the way for design innovations in building, energy harvesting and drone technology.
The turbulence modelling studies will allow engineers to optimise the shape of buildings, as well as identify areas of rapid airflow within cities that could be used to harvest energy.
Researchers also hope to use the airflow studies to develop more energy efficient drones that use the power of updrafts during flight.
Dr Abdulghani Mohamed, from RMIT’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems research group, said simulations developed by the research team can visualise the shape of updrafts as they developed over buildings and show their variation over time.
“By analysing the interaction of wind with buildings, our research opens new possibilities for improving designs to take better advantage of nature,” he said.
“Buildings can be built to enhance airflow at street level and ventilation, while wind turbines can be precisely positioned in high-speed airflow areas for urban energy harvesting – providing free power for low-energy electronics.
“The airflow simulations will also help us further our work on energy harvesting for micro-sized drones, developing technology that can helping them use updrafts to gain height quicker and fly for longer, without using extra energy.”
Scientists and engineers have traditionally relied on building small-scale city replicas and testing them in wind tunnels to make detailed airflow predictions.
This time-consuming and expensive process is being gradually replaced with numerical flow simulations, also known as Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD).
Read more: Design innovations are blowing in the wind
The Latest on: Design innovations
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Design innovations” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Design innovations
- oraimo, Africa’s Smart Accessory Brand Winning 3 World-Top Design Awards For Innovative Products in 2023on May 27, 2023 at 7:01 am
Over the years, technological advancements have transformed how we live, work, and play. Among the many innovations that have emerged, smart accessories have become increasingly popular, enhancing the ...
- Mayor’s Design Awards applaud new buildings, restaurant, corridor and public space innovationson May 26, 2023 at 4:54 pm
Twenty building, landscape, and infrastructure projects in Milwaukee – from New Land Enterprise's Ascent apartment tower to an effort that turned asphalt ...
- Innovation in Patient Monitoring and Wearableson May 26, 2023 at 11:12 am
Wear time for patient monitoring and wearables continue to dominate the conversation of innovation in the space. OEMs are coming to suppliers to help lengthen the wear time of their devices through ...
- Prioritise sustainability and innovation for now and future, urge SUTD design forum speakerson May 26, 2023 at 8:25 am
The forum had an audience of more than 450 people, as well as almost 2,000 viewers who tuned in via Zoom. Read more at straitstimes.com.
- Sustainability and innovation are priorities across all sectors, say SUTD design forum speakerson May 26, 2023 at 8:04 am
The key speakers at the third Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) Design Innovation Forum on Friday were Professor Chong Tow Chong, president of SUTD; Professor Nathalie de Vries, ...
- Exhibition highlights early design innovationon May 25, 2023 at 6:05 pm
Curator Max Donnelly is glad that, after working for two and a half years, an exhibition introducing the British Arts and Crafts movement has opened in Nanjing, East China's Jiangsu province, this ...
- Cadence Design Systems: Cadence Investing in Innovation - Student Design Teamson May 25, 2023 at 12:07 pm
NORTHAMPTON, MA / ACCESSWIRE / May 25, 2023 / Student teams working together to tackle technical challenges and find innovative solutions are the future of the electronics industry. That's why the Cad ...
- Cadence Investing in Innovation - Student Design Teamson May 25, 2023 at 11:15 am
Student teams working together to tackle technical challenges and find innovative solutions are the future of the electronics industry. That's why the Cadence Academic Network is committed to ...
- Bonito Designs appoints Jenis Makwana as the Head of Design & Innovation Labon May 24, 2023 at 11:16 pm
In his new role, Jenis will work directly with Amit Parsuramka, CEO – Bonito Designs and will lead the innovation lab team.
- Innovating For The Future: A Guide For Product Managers And Engineerson May 24, 2023 at 3:31 am
When doing so, keep in mind these three types of innovation design that focus on sustainability and efficiency: • Product enhancement for retention and organic growth. • Efficiency innovations ...
via Bing News